PDA

View Full Version : WD40 for the exterior of a stickburner

HB-BBQ
10-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I ran across a topic on another board about using WD40 on the exterior only. There was a big name pit builder who commented there about using it on his personal smokers with good success over traditional oils. I have always used bacon fat and brushed it heavy on firebox when the cooker is cooling down and applied pam or peanut oil on a soft rag for the outside of the cooking chamber. I'm currently in the process of seasoning a new pit (with peanut oil on the inside) and am thinking of trying this on the exterior.

Has anyone been down this road already?
Would it attract extra dust and grime as other oils do?
Would it cause any rust?

dadsr4
10-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I ran across a topic on another board about using WD40 on the exterior only. There was a big name pit builder who commented there about using it on his personal smokers with good success over traditional oils. I have always used bacon fat and brushed it heavy on firebox when the cooker is cooling down and applied pam or peanut oil on a soft rag for the outside of the cooking chamber. I'm currently in the process of seasoning a new pit (with peanut oil on the inside) and am thinking of trying this on the exterior.

Has anyone been down this road already?
Would it attract extra dust and grime as other oils do?
Would it cause any rust?
This about covers my opinion.
"WD40 is kerosene and a little teflon. Kerosene will burn, but not like gasoline. It almost takes a direct flame to ignite it. If you spray it and wait for it to soak in where it isn't wet. It will be difficult to light, but it will burn if you try ."
Oh, and...
WD40 Fire - YouTube

DENGATOR
10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I use grapeseed oil in a spray, works great

BigBobBQ
10-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I thought it was the propellent in the cans of WD-40 that caused the fire but I could be wrong..lol...wouldn't be the first time. I do know that if any dust, dirt or grime gets on a surface covered in WD-40 it will stick to it like glue and will have to be washed off.

dadsr4
10-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Conditions to Avoid:
Conditions to Avoid:Avoid heat, sparks, flames and other sources of ignition
MSDS
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/WD-40-Bulk-MSDS-282-21-14-29.pdf

THoey1963
10-06-2014, 03:39 PM
I just don't think I want that smell around anything I am cooking...

stephan
10-06-2014, 03:43 PM
There are just to many options as far as food safe products to season the outside of your smoker to be using something that can make you ill.

HB-BBQ
10-06-2014, 03:50 PM
I thought it was the propellent in the cans of WD-40 that caused the fire but I could be wrong..lol...wouldn't be the first time. I do know that if any dust, dirt or grime gets on a surface covered in WD-40 it will stick to it like glue and will have to be washed off.
Thanks and you are correct the propellant is what lowers the flash point. WD40's flash point is around 175F and I'd hope that one wouldn't be dumb enough to go and spray it directly on a hot firebox. The majority of cooking oils have higher flash points in the 400F area which is why they work great for deep frying.

Ultimately i am just trying to find a better way to preserve the hi-temp paint. As well i wanted see if there are other methods out there that do not attract dust like bacon grease and other oils do. Since I currently use peanut oil on the interior i will try it on the exterior of this pit and she how it works.

nmayeux
10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I use Crisco shortening on the easy to reach parts of the fire box, and spray canola oil on the vents, backside and bottom. In the picture below, you can see the difference between the Crisco and the spray oil:

nmayeux
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Just imagine looking at it upside down, as that is how this infernal picture wants to post.... :)

ButtBurner
10-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I would just touch it up with flat black hi temp grill paint when needed

thats what I used to do with my OK Joe and you could not tell, it matched perfectly

I just did the firebox, the paint on the cook chamber never gave me a problem. I did not put anything on it

THoey1963
10-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Looks perfectly normal to me...

cowboyupbbq
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
I think the smell of hot WD40 would not be good. I vote for a wire brush and some high temp paint.

Eric