PDA

View Full Version : Lyonnaise Potatoes

mdalby
10-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I was on a business trip to Springfield Missouri this week and went to a restaurant Flame Steakhouse. Excellent meal.

I had never had lyonnaise potatoes before. They were incredible. Very good smoky flavor in them.

Do any of you make lyonnaise potatoes in your smoker?

Care to share your recipe?

TIA

Wickedcajun
10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Never made them, but I love to eat them!

Hoss
10-02-2014, 09:32 PM
I trust this guy. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-lyonnaise-potatoes-recipe.html

qman
10-02-2014, 09:44 PM
I trust this guy. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-lyonnaise-potatoes-recipe.html

Yep, this would be a very good starting recipe, then you could customize it to your tastes. Lyonnaise basically means "with onions" in French cookery.
I do my version stovetop, in a cast iron pan, with lots of heavy cream to simmer them in till potatoes are tender. My version would not translate well to smoker, I think.

mdalby
10-02-2014, 10:27 PM
There was something about these that were really smoky. It was incredible. I don't know how that flavor was introduced in the potatoes.

qman
10-02-2014, 10:32 PM
The potatoes could have been pre cooked in a smoker. The final dish could have been done in the smoker. Hard to know from here.
I add smoked paprika to casseroles sometimes to give it a smokey overtone.

Mo-Dave
10-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Just a few days ago I was thinking about potatoes fixed this way. It used to be a lot of restaurants made them, mostly high end places.

I wonder if they smoked the onions, and maybe the garlic to get that smokyness.
Dave

qman
10-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I just looked at the Flame Steakhouse menu, and they claim several things to be "smoked" so I am thinking they have some means of doing that.
So, maybe the potatoes, onions, or both maybe smoked before combining? Or the dish tossed in a smoker to finish.
Anyway, sounds delish. Menu looks great, too. Not cheap, but I think I could be happy there.