PDA

View Full Version : Help-Grilled Sticky Buns?

Brontoburger
09-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Continuing on with the "Getting Paid to Grill" saga: now we're looking at doing a "Grilled Sticky Bun" item. Any Brethren ever do such a thing?

Here's why. Today was my third time grilling at work for the PSU "tailgate-hot Italian sausage sandwiches. Came out darn good. Hard to screw up. Again, just like the last times, I was pretty busy for about an hour and then nothing. Maybe another 3 or 4 orders for the next two hours. Pretty boring. So, I realized it's because we're not turning those seats over. That is: someone eats and leaves, and then someone else, and so on. Well, these people are here to watch the game. They eat and stay, hopefully drinking beer all the while. We're only selling food to them once, so I suggested to the boss doing a grilled dessert to sell them something else. I was thinking some kind of fruit, but he said that there's a diner up in State College, PA (where the main Penn State campus is) that is famous for their "Grilled Stickies". They take slices of sticky bun and butter and grill them on a flattop griddle. It sounds like an inspired idea, but I'm supposed to do it on a charcoal grill. Do you think it's possible?

TailGateJoecom
10-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Continuing on with the "Getting Paid to Grill" saga: now we're looking at doing a "Grilled Sticky Bun" item. Any Brethren ever do such a thing?

Here's why. Today was my third time grilling at work for the PSU "tailgate-hot Italian sausage sandwiches. Came out darn good. Hard to screw up. Again, just like the last times, I was pretty busy for about an hour and then nothing. Maybe another 3 or 4 orders for the next two hours. Pretty boring. So, I realized it's because we're not turning those seats over. That is: someone eats and leaves, and then someone else, and so on. Well, these people are here to watch the game. They eat and stay, hopefully drinking beer all the while. We're only selling food to them once, so I suggested to the boss doing a grilled dessert to sell them something else. I was thinking some kind of fruit, but he said that there's a diner up in State College, PA (where the main Penn State campus is) that is famous for their "Grilled Stickies". They take slices of sticky bun and butter and grill them on a flattop griddle. It sounds like an inspired idea, but I'm supposed to do it on a charcoal grill. Do you think it's possible?

You can turn your grill into anything really, just get a griddle plate and put it right on your grill grate and you are good to go.

fingerlickin'
10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Yep, just get a griddle or 2. What kind of grill do you cook on?

Also, why not add wings to the menu? They're like the ultimate game day food. I know I'd order wings during the game even if I already hammered a sausage sammy. Offer them in 6pc or a dozen. There's always room for a couple wings. You can pretty much pre cook them and just grill them off to serve.

TailGateJoecom
10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Yep, just get a griddle or 2. What kind of grill do you cook on?

Also, why not add wings to the menu? They're like the ultimate game day food. I know I'd order wings during the game even if I already hammered a sausage sammy. Offer them in 6pc or a dozen. There's always room for a couple wings. You can pretty much pre cook them and just grill them off to serve.

Wings are a given on a football sunday. I would say you would have a much better chance of increasing sales with wings than a dessert. Also, hot wings increase beer sales.

robbq
10-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I have tried grilling some bread type items successfully. I have made pita bread and naan right on the grate, and I also do quesadillas. You have to watch it carefully and don't go overboard on the heat or things can burn quickly. With something like that where it is already cooked and just needs to be heated up and get some grill marks I think it would totally work, just grill them fast on a medium heat. In fact I think they would go so quickly you could do them on demand.

Also as others have pointed out, you can always get a griddle or cast iron frying pan and put that on the grill.

zwylde1
10-14-2014, 12:33 PM
You can cook up some wicked pissah buns on a Kamado Joe with a heat deflector stone. Done it may times. Come out awesome. Heat...indirect cooking, and time....all good from there. :clap:

pgn
10-14-2014, 05:14 PM
we used to make a ( Inside out) cut your sticky buns in 1/2 side to side not top to bottom butter inside grill and serve :grin: