PDA

View Full Version : What is beef broth?

peckerdunne
09-26-2014, 12:57 PM
In the UK, Heinz beef broth contains chunks of potato, peas, carrots etc. So not so good for injecting, I suppose.
In the US, is it like a consomme or a Bovril infusion?
Just wondering.

IamMadMan
09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
In the UK, Heinz beef broth contains chunks of potato, peas, carrots etc. So not so good for injecting, I suppose.
Just wondering.

In the States, "Beef Broth" is the result of boiling bones and meat trimmings, usually the fat is skimmed before using as broth. Consomme is similar, except it is clarified using egg to remove fat and sediments. Consomme could be used for your injection.

landarc
09-26-2014, 01:16 PM
I am gonna disagree slightly with IamaMadMan

Beef stock is made by simmering beef bones and aromatics to create a fortified liquid

Beef broth is made by simmering beef meat and aromatics to create a flavored liquid

Properly done, both should be filtered, somewhat clarified and completely liquid. Stock has more gelatin, broth has a lighter texture and does not gel when cold

Grillman
09-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Just wondering.

In simplest terms, Beef Broth is... Beef flavored water.

What you probably have is actually Beef and vegetable soup.
http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/Products/Soup/Ranges/Classics/Beef-Broth

BBQchef33
09-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Beef stock is made by simmering beef bones and aromatics to create a fortified liquid

Beef broth is made by simmering beef meat and aromatics to create a flavored liquid

Properly done, both should be filtered, somewhat clarified and completely liquid. Stock has more gelatin, broth has a lighter texture and does not gel when cold

yup, ^^^^^ this one. :wink:

captndan
09-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Look for 'beef base'. Not the same as anything else.

smoke ninja
09-26-2014, 01:30 PM
So what makes broth into au jus?

landarc
09-26-2014, 01:38 PM
In simplest terms, Beef Broth is... Beef flavored water.

Wow, that sure takes any mystery out of it all

landarc
09-26-2014, 01:40 PM
So what makes broth into au jus?
Actually, we abuse this term. 'Au jus' means with the juice, and refers to serving a meat with the liquid that came from the meat during cooking. No additions. Many in this country add stock or broth to the 'jus' to make more of it.

peckerdunne
09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Greetings from Epping.
Thanks for your feedback.
I'll try a tin of consomme for my next brisket. Might try an experiment with Bovril too on part of it.
Grillman's pic of the tin is the one I had at home. I put into some bean soup I made a couple of weeks ago (following a recipe from the web). Worked fine, but not for injecting meat.

jestridge
09-26-2014, 02:03 PM
disolve beef base in beef broth for a richer flavor, Also aujus mix is ok for injection

Bludawg
09-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Broth comes from boiling meat. Stock comes from boiling bones. Aus Jus is veg/ herb fortified meat juices that are collected from roasted meat.

1buckie
09-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Greetings from Epping.
I'll try a tin of consomme for my next brisket. Might try an experiment with Bovril too on part of it.
Grillman's pic of the tin is the one I had at home. I put into some bean soup I made a couple of weeks ago (following a recipe from the web). Worked fine, but not for injecting meat.

If you like the flavor of the liquid described in the 1st post, maybe try straining that before injecting....

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/SmokedChicken2-15-12022.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/SmokedChicken2-15-12024.jpg

I use that setup quite often for all kinds of stuff........

IamMadMan
09-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks for clarification Landarc. I have always made my own stock and used it to be the same as broth or stock. Learned something new... Won't change my process, but now I know the difference between stock and broth.

buccaneer
09-26-2014, 07:30 PM
>In its simplest form, jus is simply the pan-drippings from the roasted meat. In practice, the jus is enhanced by deglazing the pan with stock and then simmering the liquid with mirepoix before straining and serving. But the jus is unthickened, which is what distinguishes it from a pan gravy< Culinary defs

Stocks and broths start out the same and both can be made with bones. The divergence comes when you have a stock, then add seasonings and flavourings like wine and so on to make a seasoned and delicious broth. You can reduce a stock down to a sauce, for example, but not a broth. A broth is a finished product.
That is the clearest picture I can paint.

Titch
09-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Greetings from Epping.

Watch the salt in the Bovril mate, its strong,:becky: