PDA

View Full Version : Uds possibly building one

Rusty Kettle
09-16-2014, 08:11 PM
I was thinking of building an uds as my traeger while fantastic lacks cooking space that I need for my sons first birthday. Possibly using a smoke daddy pellet conversion kit as I am now a pellet addict. Anyone build one using their kit? How well does it work? Let me know thanks. Pics of one made by an amateur builder would be helpful. Thanks.

Fwismoker
09-16-2014, 08:56 PM
You could, Dennis is a good guy imo. Personally I'd do a Big Poppa kit. My buddy started with a traeger also and I made a BPS drum for his wife for him.... now it's by far his favorite and the traeger is only used once in a while.

He said the flavor is way way better now.

Wickedcajun
09-16-2014, 09:29 PM
There are plenty of threads on uds builds.. I've been checking them out, the brethern are awesome innovators!!

SmittyJonz
09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Go w/ normal charcoal n chunks. Variety is Good.

fttom
09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Had a Traeger. Really liked it. Built a UDS and after using it a few times, I sold the Traeger ! No comparison it great taste/flavor, the UDS is great !!

Joe Dirt
09-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Build a UDS. But give charcoal a try. The flavor is so much better in my opinion. I started smoking in a Bradley CES years ago, then moved to a kettle and eventually the drum. While the flavor was good with the Bradley it is no comparison to charcoal flavor. I use my UDS for most cooks...even for grilling.

SmokinBerto
09-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm a little new to the UDS thing but jumped in the deep end. I have 1 & 4 in progress. If you have any McGyver in you it will be a fun trip!

TinySmokin
09-18-2014, 09:14 PM
The BPS Kits are great and easy to install. I used two of their kits a couple weeks ago to build 2 UDS's for my legion. Great capacity for the price! I just added an extra rack to each one for more capacity.

dabirdz
09-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Rusty you are about 4.5 hours from me, not that we are that close, but I have built one, and if you have a pick up truck, I have a welder and a grinder and will work for beer and pulled pork. ;)

rtg
09-18-2014, 10:12 PM
You could, Dennis is a good guy imo. Personally I'd do a Big Poppa kit. My buddy started with a traeger also and I made a BPS drum for his wife for him.... now it's by far his favorite and the traeger is only used once in a while.

He said the flavor is way way better now.

What He Said! I just built one and it turns out great BBQ. You can try it and if you dont like it add a Pellet Hopper unit later...

Rounder
09-19-2014, 12:20 AM
I cheated and went with a BPS kit myself. I'm not overly creative or mechanically inclined so I went the easy route. However, I changed up their design and added a rack for a water pan and a 2nd cooking rack. I can also grill on my Big Poppa Smoker UDS.

I've had a stick burner offset and a Masterbuilt Electric and after building the UDS this summer I love smoking more than ever!

Easy to clean - just roll it out in the yard and hose it out. I burn the racks off on my gas grill to get them clean and scrape them down.

I did purchase a BBQ Guru for my UDS and after using it twice it's nearly as reliable for temps as my Masterbuilt electric smoker was. I can *almost* set it and forget it - not so much on longer smokes, like pork butt, but for 3 to 6 hour smokes it's pretty damn easy.

The Masterbuilt electric was pretty awesome, since I could put the meat in at 7 am, go to work, come home 9 hours later and have 2 hours left on a 10 lb pork butt, but the flavor from lump charcoal is far superior to the electric.

I've genuinely found a new love for smoking after building this thing and cooking on it the last 2 months. I couldn't afford to constantly feed the stick burner to keep the temps up (and the 1 i had was probably a POS, it leaked too much heat) and I dont' always have time to sit around adding fuel every hour.

The UDS has allowed me to get fantastic flavor in the food, it's extremely efficient with fuel and incredibly easy to clean up. I couldn't be happier with it - I take that back, mine has a rolled top edge that won't accommodate my 22.5" weber lid, so my cooking space is limited compared to those that are able to use that lid. I will be fixing that in the coming months or I'm going to find an 85 gallon drum and build a UDS from that.

Good luck! Post pics!

MartinM
09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I love mine. I made mini stuffed chickens with it last night.

I'd already done a picnic for nine hours with these coals. I lit the fire at 4:30 yesterday afternoon....ramped it up to 325 for two hours for muni buzzards...cranked it up to 425 just to see if I could....then dropped it back down to 250 and let it puff over night to finish off the coals.

This morning it was still going at 5 runnin 189.

I want to justify a nice little stick burner but this 200 dollar drum is making that really hard.