PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on first charcoal unit

Namtrag
09-13-2014, 08:43 PM
At the ripe old age of 52, I am really interested into doing more than just cooking burgers, hot dogs and chickens on a gas grill. I would love to start learning to cook on charcoal, and also to learn low and slow and branch out.

I have a very limited budget of max $350 or so, and have been reading a lot of great reviews of the following three units in that price area:

WSM 18.5"
PBC
Char-Griller Akorn

My wife says why consider either of the last two since we have a grill...

I am leaning towards one of those two since the Weber is a smoker only, but she does have a point: maybe all I need is a smoker lol. I told her the other two are very versatile and can do either task.

Anyway, any veteran help and points to help me decide are very much appreciated!

BenRias
09-13-2014, 08:50 PM
You can smoke some really good food on a weber 22" one touch silver...maybe only $99? I can get a good 5 or 6 hour smoke using the snake/chain charcoal method. You can then use the rest of the money on good thermometers and such. Plus you can grill and smoke on it.

That said, I'm ready to move onto a bigger dedicated smoker but it's taken a few years to feel like I'm ready to make the jump.

So, my vote would be the WSM.

GOOD LUCK!

jham0077
09-13-2014, 08:53 PM
You might get lucky on criagslist with a WSM or a Weber 22.5 of some sorts. There was an 18.5 WSM listed here in St. Louis for $100.
If your handy and have tools.....Build a UDS!!!

Fwismoker
09-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Big Poppa UDS, It's a great smoker and a great grill all in one....just can't beat it imo.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/grills_smokers.html

ajstrider
09-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Knowing what I know, I am much happier with a dedicated smoker and dedicated grill.

I would opt for the WSM. It is a fantastic smoker, it will last a lifetime, and there are plenty of us with them to help you out and information out there would take a lifetime to read.

That should cost the $300, then use that $50 for some charcoal.

If you end up liking the charcoal and getting the hang of it and want a grill, for $100 you can get a Weber 22.5" grill that will last a lifetime also. That can be a future purchase since you do in fact already have a grill.

AClarke44
09-13-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't own any of the rigs you mentioned but from what I have read the Akorn is probably the most versatile of the three. From low and slow smoking to pizzas and high heat searing.
As you can see above, Fwismoker swears by his PBC and says it's just as versatile as anything else.
If you want a dedicated smoker you can never go wrong with the wsm.
I have a 22.5 Kettle OTG. It's only $149 new but like mentioned above you can probably get a good used one for under $50 on Craigslist. You can do lots of cooking in it as well. I've smoked ribs, pork butt, chicken, and more. I've grilled the best steaks and pork chops ever and made great burgers and hotdogs. Others have made pizzas and tons of other things on theirs. It does take a little time learning how to maintain temperature for low and slow but there's lots of helpful folks here that love to help.

In my opinion I would go with something on the cheaper end of your budget to see how you like charcoal style cooking. You will and you will end up with more cookers anyway. Just figured out what you want first :becky:

Namtrag
09-13-2014, 09:21 PM
You guys are giving me some great advice! I'm not very handy though. Looks like the big poppa one is a kit.

I will go back and read more on the WSM. I know the company makes great stuff, and I have their portable propane grill, which I love.

The Akorn I was thinking would be a great choice since it can do regular cooking, and lower temp cooking. It could serve as a possible replacement for our Brinkman gas grill too, as it is getting on in age.

The PBC just has no negative reviews I have seen.

And the WSM is great too from all I have read.

Then others come along and give me even more possibilities to think about.

Thanks for all the input!

Jason TQ
09-13-2014, 09:28 PM
The WSM is a great smoker. I'd be looking for a deal on a 22.5 if you can. :becky:

Fwismoker
09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
You guys are giving me some great advice! I'm not very handy though.You don't need to be handy. It takes drilling holes and they supply the drill bit plus templates....piece of cake Looks like the big poppa one is a kit.

There's a youtube video on the assembly to give you an idea.

tb80
09-13-2014, 09:39 PM
another option is a weber 26". Plenty of room for grillling and smoking.

however, if you don't want that,i would get a 18.5" wsm for $300. Then, keep an eye on Cl and pick up a 22" weber kettle. I see them all the time for $20-$50.

highergr0und
09-13-2014, 09:44 PM
If you're looking to really learn the fine sides of bbq, I'd say WSM. Size depends on how many you can see yourself cooking for. If you want to turn out fantastic food with little effort, then PBC. Akorn is in the running if you yourself wanting max versatility, ie very high heat / pizzas.

I bought my PBC because of the ease of use and the fact I probably do more chicken than anything. It rules for that

Smokeoholic
09-13-2014, 09:44 PM
I like the WSMs, i use my 22.5 for a smoker and grill..:thumb:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2psn71e.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2z65lw4.jpg

Hankdad1
09-13-2014, 10:13 PM
"My wife says why consider either of the last two since we have a grill..."

No offense to anyone, but you have a gas grill. A charcoal grill is a very different animal in both function and flavor.

IMHO in your shoes I would look for a 22.5" Weber kettle (preferably a Performer) on Craigslist and learn to grill and do some smoking on it. They are easy to get started on and there is a ton of information online to get you started.

I have a Weber gas grill, a WSM, and several Weber kettles and love them all. My Akorn gets the most use nowadays but it is a whole different learning curve. Starting with the Webers made that much easier.

Namtrag
09-13-2014, 10:19 PM
I had never thought of getting a weber kettle and learning to cook and smoke with it. But several of you are advising that! What an economical way to do it! I am going to check that out ASAP on Craigslist, and also read some threads about smoking on it.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great responses!

1buckie
09-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Ok.....it's not quite like the good 'ol days where you could find 'em out on the sidewalk on trash day, but take a look at this thread & remember.....ALL of the kettles you see were free.....only expense was replacement grates, 'cause I like to use the flip-up ones.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194863

You can do dang near anything with them & if you're just learning charcoal, that's a definite 1st step.....

Akorn's are great, but there's a bit more fine-tuned learning curve there....same with the PBC....they're great, but usually people are already somewhat familiar with charcoal cooking in some form prior to using one of those....

WSM, a bit less of a learning experience, but still a bit more complex than the lowly kettle......

People do hi-heat pizza, bake pies & cakes, long low smokes, grilling, searing....all manner of juicy goodness.....

My signature line from elsewhere :

"But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"

Whatever you decide, ask questions....they'll be someone who knows the ropes on that particular cooker & will be able to get you lined up......:cool:

SmittyJonz
09-13-2014, 11:22 PM
UDS or PBC.

retired trucker
09-13-2014, 11:40 PM
I have a UDS that I have done some great smoking on, and would not take it away from my list. However, saying that, I recently bought a Webber kettle ($149) and have really fallen in love with the versatility and the quick set up and use aspects of it. I can lite a chimney full of briquets and have supper on the table in about 45 minutes. Last night I lit about 1/2 chimney and grilled some salmon steaks in less time than it took the wife to cook some baked potatoes in the microwave, and throw together a couple of salads and put them on the table. I have about 8 cooks on less than a 20 lb bag of K - Blue. I smoked some baby backs on it last week, and they turned out better than any I have cooked on my UDS. My next purchase will be a 22 1/2 WSM to use instead of my UDS. They are a very economical and quality smoker/grill for the backyard family cooking use. That is my .02 worth!

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Omar

THoey1963
09-14-2014, 01:26 AM
I am biased to a WSM. They are so easy to learn on, yet you are making serious BBQ. I have done a couple mods to mine so I can grill on it if I feel like (link in signature). It's a great machine to learn with and decide if you want to step up to something more serious like a stick burner...

food4thot
09-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Check craigslist or ebay for a WSM. I picked up a new 18.5 on ebay early last month for $255. Have used it every weekend since and love it.

Highly recommend a Thermapen.

ebijack
09-14-2014, 06:42 AM
They are all good units and since you have to learn to grill and smoke on any one of them. You should decide what are your requirements, does it need to be mobile? Are you going to use it year round? How much grate room do you need. Will it have to be moved into the garage etc after every cook, or stored outside. I'm guessing that you will end up cooking for a lot more folks just like most of us here than what you originally thought once your into this addiction. Personally, I was never able to get any of my Webers into the 650 degree to 800 degree range for searing/cooking pizza's. But that is something I won't go without. There is a huge difference between 550 degrees to doing it 650 + degrees. IMHO. Do you want set it and forget type smoking? Do you want to be able to smoke for 15+ hrs when required without having to add coals? Your answers should help knock down the options.

2dumb2kwit
09-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I had never thought of getting a weber kettle and learning to cook and smoke with it. But several of you are advising that! What an economical way to do it! I am going to check that out ASAP on Craigslist, and also read some threads about smoking on it.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great responses!

Add me as another vote for the Weber kettle. I do everything on mine, from screaming hot for caveman/cowboy steaks, to 12 hour low and slow smokes. (Using the snake method.)

Garyt
09-14-2014, 10:08 AM
I personally have 2 Weber kettles, a gas grill, Smoke Hollow #5 gas smoker, a Chargriller Akorn and a Lang 48 DX trailer. I say go with an Akorn, that thing is fantastic and can do it all from low and slow to cooking a pizza and everything in between for $249

dadsr4
09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
I have two kettles, and cook everything I cook outdoors on them. There is nothing I've seen that is better for most peoples grilling needs, and learning to cook low and slow is simple without spending more money. Until you know what you really want, and then you always have it for grilling. The Brinkman smoker I inherited from my father sits in the basement unused.

gtr
09-14-2014, 12:56 PM
In that budget range a 26.7" Weber would be a great thing. I have a chitload of grills and smokers and this one gets much more use than the other ones - very versatile. Plenty of room for all kinds of different temp ranges around the grill if you want. A lot times I like to have different types of items done all at the same time and the 26.75" makes it easy for that to happen. You can to an indirect low/slow and grill apps at the same time - love that thing!

Bob C Cue
09-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Can't go wrong with PBC. very short learning curve. Nothing else in your price range will be easier or make better food. You can even call the owner and talk to him about your needs. He would be happy to talk to you. Good luck.

Nvoges
09-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Can't go wrong with PBC. very short learning curve. Nothing else in your price range will be easier or make better food. You can even call the owner and talk to him about your needs. He would be happy to talk to you. Good luck.

Agreed! I love my PBC as a smoker and you can even grill on it if you open it up. You also can't go wrong with a weber kettle.

Namtrag
09-14-2014, 04:01 PM
I've spent all afternoon looking at weber kettle threads on here, and I believe I will go ahead and start with that one. The other contenders are awesome as well, but I can't go wrong with the Weber.

I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy

The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube

jham0077
09-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Congrats on your choice!

You couldn't go wrong with anything mentioned in the above post. And this site is the place for tips and tricks.

Wickedcajun
09-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Weber kettles are great!!! I don't have any experience with any of the cookers you listed, but the kettles rock!!!

AClarke44
09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
You wont regret your choice!

But like I said earlier, get ready because once you get the charcoal bug you will want more cookers! :thumb:

1buckie
09-14-2014, 10:34 PM
I've spent all afternoon looking at weber kettle threads on here, and I believe I will go ahead and start with that one. The other contenders are awesome as well, but I can't go wrong with the Weber.

I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy

"I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy"

It is......only thing that complicates it is us....we the people, making it more complex than it is or needs to be......please remember I said that as you go along.....:wink:

And....Have Fun !!!!!

gtr
09-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Great choice - I have never, ever heard someone say "I got a Weber kettle - the thing doesn't work and I don't like it." :laugh:

You will love it. IMO every home should have a Weber Kettle. A venerable cooker for many reasons.

THoey1963
09-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Great choice. Even though I suggested the WSM, can't go wrong with a kettle. And, after using it for a while, you may want to move up, and the WSM is next in line...

Now get to Q'ing and post some pics...

Namtrag
09-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to get started...right now, if I find a good used one on CL (which I am not seeing many of around here), I will get it, otherwise I will more than likely get a new one on my birthday in a couple of weeks!

I am enjoying reading the epic Weber Kettle Appreciation thread. It's amazing some of the deals you guys can find where you live. Here, people want almost what a new one costs for a used one.

Either way, I have plenty of time to keep researching tips.

Namtrag
09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
I wish I lived up in DC area...this looks like a pretty good deal!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/4668393510.html