PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor saves the day

Neil
08-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Catered two parties yesterday both starting at around the same time. The first one was a staff party for our local YMCA where I work part time three nights a week. This was a cook and drop off for 100. I provided 50 lbs of pulled pork (cooked weight), slaw, rolls, and baked beans. This party was suppose to start at 4:30 but I could drop off the food anytime after 2:00. The second party was a staff picnic for the employees of the funeral home where my wife works. Cooking for 62 people. Menu was: 15 wracks of St. Louis spareribs, one 13# brisket-sliced the flat and chopped up the point, 20 lbs. pulled pork, 12#'s chicken breast tenderloins, cole slaw, rolls, homemade redskinned potato salad (used 20#'s of taters), sliced tomatoes, and homemade hot fudge sundays for dessert. We also provided all the paper and plastic ware, set up the buffet area, served and helped with hosting.

I cooked the pulled pork for the Y party last weekend and took Friday off from my day job to cook the pork and brisket for the funeral home party which I put on at 1:00 A.M. Friday. Woke up at 4:00 A.M. Saturday and fired up the 'dera. While the 'dera was getting to temp I prepped the 15 wracks of ribs. After the ribs went on I got to work on the baked beans and reheating the pulled pork and brisket. Then it was off to the welding supply shop to pick up the dry ice for the ice cream. The next door neighbor has this old wooden trailer which has become the neithborhood trailer. Just let him know when you need it and it's yours for the day or week or whatever. Finally get everything loaded including the new Brinkman Professional Grill and I can't get the reciever down on the hitch. The neighbor tries and tells me it is probably because the driveway is on an incline and once we pull on the street it should be okay. Well, it isn't. Turns out the reciever needs a 1 7/8" ball and I have a 2" ball! No problem he says he'll just swap the ball from his hitch onto mine. Did I mention it is already 4:00 and I am suppose to be at the SECOND party by this time and haven't even dropped off for the first one. The "no problem", turned in to a big one when he saw that I had a small shank ball while his had a large shank. (I've been hearing those jokes my whole life) The neighbor across the street who uses the trailer more than anyone comes over and goes and gets the ball off his hitch only to find out that it too is a large shank. (yes once again, I'm the one with the smallest shank) The neighbor across the street tells me to just take his Yukon, he won't be needing it for the night. So we start to transfer all the stuff from the car to the Yukon when he needs to show me how to start the car? Turns out he has had a couple of DUI's and a breath alyzer starter has been installed in the vehicle so you have to "blow" before the car will start. After working my large a** the bone all night and day, I rewarded myself with a JD on the rocks before I took my shower right after getting all loaded up. That's right, I can't risk trying to start his car because if it detects any alcohol the computer will record it and get reported. So now I'm totally farked. But again the nextdoor neighbor comes to the rescue and tells me to take his van. This is a $50K camper van with all leather interior, TV set, massaging drivers seat, etc., etc. Every thing gets transferred to the van and we are finally off to deliver. I don't know how things went at the Y party but at the funeral home party we were a big hit. Everyone raved about everything, espescially the briskets and thanks to Jeff, the baked beans. As soon as I get the cash on hand, I'm going to buy my own trailer.

jpw23
08-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Glad everything worked out for you and I am truley sorry to hear about your " small shank " !!!! One word....." Enzite ":lol: :biggrin: :lol:

djmarko
08-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Wow, what a story.

Kevin
08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for sharing Neil. That was quite a day.

thillin
08-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I can see Neil hauling to provide food at both events. For some reason I keep picturing the A-Team van and a Neil smoking a cigar.:rolleyes:

Good job Neil!

I love it when a plan comes together!:biggrin:

bbqbull
08-13-2006, 10:50 AM
I think we all have had days like that. Thank goodness they dont come to us too often. Neil, sounds like ya kept your wits about the situation and pulled off an almost impossible situation. Brethren brothers come thru again.
You failed to mention did the folks enjoy all your hard work?

Mike

big brother smoke
08-13-2006, 10:53 AM
WTG, Neil! Glad you kept your cool and did not chit your pants!
How many JDs did you have in the aftermath?

BrooklynQ
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
I know you weren't laughing when you were living it, but I was laughing reading it. Sounds like everything turned out great! Good job.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Way to go Neil. I'm think you deserve One or Two more JDs on he Rocks after that.

Robkan
08-13-2006, 12:41 PM
That's a funny one! And you've got some great neighbors.:rolleyes:

Neil
08-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I think we all have had days like that. Thank goodness they dont come to us too often. Neil, sounds like ya kept your wits about the situation and pulled off an almost impossible situation. Brethren brothers come thru again.
You failed to mention did the folks enjoy all your hard work?

Mike

We got rave reviews from both events. At the party for the funeral home employees we booked a wedding for next year.

Neil
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
WTG, Neil! Glad you kept your cool and did not chit your pants!
How many JDs did you have in the aftermath?

Was way to tired when we got home to enjoy a Jack so I went to straight to bed after a nice cold shower. I'll make up for it after I'm done cleaning everything up today.

Neil
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
That's a funny one! And you've got some great neighbors.:rolleyes:

You've got that right!