PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Meatloaf

Asunshine
09-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Anyone have a killer meatloaf recipe with some kick to it?

Rob96
09-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Equal parts ground beef, pork an veal mixed with chopped onion, SPOG, and some Worcester. Make it into a loaf and dust with espresso bbq rub then wrap in bacon. I then throw it on the mini and let it do its thing.

IamMadMan
09-01-2014, 05:35 PM
It's been on my list of things to do, but no I have not tried a recipe yet.

Use the search bar at the bottom of the page, I know others have made and posted pictures of their smoked meatloaf.

Schmoke
09-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I heartily recommend Alton Brown's version. Incredible.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-smoked-party-meatloaf-0200330.html

Ron_L
09-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Here you go...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36239

Richard_
09-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Quaker Oats recipe works for me , substitute your favorite bbq sauce for the ketchup

Ozric
09-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Here's my recipe. I've refined it over the last 8 years or so. I start it in a loaf pan to get the shape (better for leftovers in sammies!).

Southwest Meatloaf

1 cup sweet onion, chopped fine
1 celery rib, chopped fine
1 tbl garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped fine
½ cup scallion, chopped fine
4 to 6 Hatch or Serrano chiles, seeds removed (or not), chopped fine
2 tbl olive oil (Spanish Arbequina olive oil recommended)
2 tsp sea salt
1½ tsp pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
⅓ cup ketchup
¾ lbs ground chuck
¾ lbs ground pork
¾ lbs ground veal
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
⅓ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped fine

In a large heavy skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, scallion and chiles in olive oil, over moderate heat, for about 5 minutes. Cover and stir occasionally until the carrots are tender, about 5 more minutes. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Mix in well and cook covered for 1 more minute.

In a large bowl, very thoroughly mix the meats. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, sautéed vegetables and parsley. Add to the meats and mix thoroughly. Form into a loaf using a standard loaf pan. Compress the loaf as tightly as possible.

Preheat your Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill to 180°F.

Recommended Pellets: Hickory or your favorite blend

Place the loaf pan in the center of the grill and smoke for 30 minutes. Carefully turn the meat loaf over onto a piece of aluminum foil and remove the pan. Smoke for 30 more minutes. Increase temperature to 350°F and cook for approximately 1 more hour, or until the internal temperature at the center of the meat loaf is 160°F. Slide a spatula under the foil and remove from grill. Let stand for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.

Option: After at least 30 minutes of cook time at 350°F, you may add a glaze or BBQ sauce to the loaf. The timing is, of course, yours to figure out.

cpw
09-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Here you go...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36239

Ron's version is great...Sauteing the veggies before they go in the mix is the trick.

Brian in Maine
09-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Here you go. If you use Jimmy Dean hot sausage it will give it a kick. I've also been known to press it out flat on wax paper in a sheet pan, put Crispy bacon, and sharp cheddar cheese on it and roll it up like a jelly roll .

Griff Loaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onions finely diced
½ red pepper finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
1large egg lightly beaten
5 or6 dashes of Worcestershire
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lbs sausage
Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 165*. Sauce can be added the last 15 minutes.

Ron_L
09-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Ron's version is great...Sauteing the veggies before they go in the mix is the trick.

Thanks! I've been making basically the same thing with ground chicken or a mix of beef and chicken lately and it still comes out great!

TinySmokin
09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I am going to have to do this right after some Chicken thighs i have thawed out...have not had meatloaf in years.

BDAABAT
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
My version of meatloaf:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3030406

A basic version of meat loaf (more of a guide than anything)... it's totally up to you what you put into your meat loaf. There's no right or wrong...play with ingredients and proportions to suit your needs.

2 lbs ground beef (can add/sub stuff like ground pork, ground veal, ground turkey)
1 lb bulk sausage (can play here...hot, sage, maple, regular...it's all good)
2-3 eggs
2 (or more) onions chopped fine
6 (or more) cloves of garlic chopped fine (again, modify to suit your tastes)
Additional herbs (coriander works nicely; add some heat with a little chipotle; can do a take on meatball-meatloaf and add oregano and basil, go Greek with some orgeano and stuff with fetta and diced tomato, or, can go more of an Asian inspired loaf with 5 spice and some soy sauce, then finish with Hoisin sauce glaze...totally up to you!)
some sort of binder...can use crustless bread that's been soaked in milk (a la meatballs) or bread crumbs, or if trying to stay lowish-carb, use parmasean cheese...whatever floats your boat.
additional flavorings are up to you. You can mix in some BBQ sauce, some Worsey sauce, your favorite rub or seasoned salt, go nekkid (K. I. S. S.), add some salsa, whatever you want!

Mix (but don't over process the loaf...just till things are fairly evenly distributed), and form into loaves. Like fatties, can choose to do either the loaf by itself, or stuff with something (e.g., cheese, grilled or sauteed veggies, Boursin, caramelized onions, cooked bacon, all of the above, whatever). Dust with rub and toss into the smoker till you get to an IT of ~ 165. Easy!

I cook meat loaf on either grates or on silicone mats to let the fat move away from the meat and to allow maximum exposure to smoke. NOTE: Silicone mats (Frog Mats) work REALLY well to help ease the meatloaf removal from the smoker.

Can keep the loaves as is, or can pull close to final desired temps, glaze with some sauce and finish at higher heat. Again, totally up to you.

Quite yummy, very versatile, and the "planned overs" are tasty mixed with eggs for breakfast, as slices in sammiches for lunch or dinner, or as is.

I don't eat meatloaf from the oven anymore... For me, the smoker makes a notable difference in the flavor.

Good luck and have fun!

Bruce

Ozric
09-02-2014, 04:23 PM
...I cook meat loaf on either grates or on silicone mats to let the fat move away from the meat and to allow maximum exposure to smoke. NOTE: Silicone mats (Frog Mats) work REALLY well to help ease the meatloaf removal from the smoker...

+1

I use a piece of aluminum foil. Frog mats would be perfect. I guess it's time to kit out my 640 with a couple of mats. Thanks for "forcing" my hand! :thumb:

Wampus
09-02-2014, 07:13 PM

AB's recipe, but smoked, is outstanding!
I also think that sautéing the veg is the real secret.
Can't remember if AB did that, but I saw it on a different show, tried it and will never do it another way, whether smoked or not.

HarrynVegas
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
AB is a food God!

TinySmokin
09-03-2014, 12:52 AM
AB's recipe, but smoked, is outstanding!
I also think that sautéing the veg is the real secret.
Can't remember if AB did that, but I saw it on a different show, tried it and will never do it another way, whether smoked or not.

Noticed that he cooks to 140 degrees and pulls to rest 30 min...I realize it will still rise some...but does it make it to 160?

This recipe looks right up my alley!

Nvoges
09-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Noticed that he cooks to 140 degrees and pulls to rest 30 min...I realize it will still rise some...but does it make it to 160?

This recipe looks right up my alley!

I'm curious on this too, surely he is cooking a little warmer then 140?

BBQdisciple
09-03-2014, 02:47 PM
I smoked one on monday. typical basic old fashioned meatloaf recipe, but i flattened it out, laid a lb of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese across it, rolled it up like a jelly roll and squeezed and shaped it until it was formed. I halved the ketchup with bbq sauce for the glaze. It was something special

Vision
09-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanks for this, will give it a try. He had me until smoking it in foil. :tsk:

tmehlhorn
09-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I use the recipe straight out of weber way to grill book think it is on their website as well. Literally my kids favorite meal. They love it

1buckie
09-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I like this turkey w/ hickory one enough to have put up a story about it :

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189985

It's a bit flexible......you could sub out some of the onion for jalepenos or roasted hot Hatch or ?.....maybe add some spicy powders if you like.....

I'm convinced the mushroom addition is what keeps it good & moist.....

Nice, loping 275 degree hickory smoke (not too much for ground meat)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/3%20___%203-3-2014%20Personal%20Turkey%20Meatloafs/33-3-2014PersonalTurkeyMeatloafs061.jpg

LYU370
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Haven't seen that recipe before, I've been making his Good Eats Meatloaf (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe.html) recipe for years. I've changed it up the last few years by replacing the spices listed with BBQ rub and replaced the glaze with BBQ sauce. Always smoke it on frogmats. Use a different rub & sauce and you get a slightly different taste each time. :-D

Might have to try this version though.

SmittyJonz
11-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Thinking I may try one of the these recipes this coming Weekend. :heh:

Jbowie
11-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I use a variiation of Jeffs SMOKING |MEAT.com recipe for smoked jalapeno buttermilk meatloaf on a plank. His recipe is using his rub and his BBQ sauce.. I use a variation no jalapenos, I use bell pepper and onion . I do like the cedar plank idea and I use Jeffs sauce on everything, none better.

find it on smokingmeat.com