PDA

View Full Version : Pork cushion injection recipe ?

GL-BBQ
08-29-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping y'all can help me with an injection concoction for some pork cushions I plan on smoking this weekend. I was thinking about a simple mixture of apple juice, woosty and dry rub but would appreciate any and all feedback.

MikeJ65
08-29-2014, 12:30 PM
For home cooks, I like the Chris Lilly injection with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 white grape.

IamMadMan
08-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Pork cushions are a little leaner than the butts or the picnics, so a brine would work just fine. You can brine them for about 4 hours or inject them a few hours before they go on the smoker.

Yes as GL-BBQ states, Chris Lilly's Injection is good using almost any fruit juice or nectar (Apple, Pear, Peach, White Grape). I get my best results using OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection and Rub

For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

toymaster
08-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Pork cushions are a little leaner than the butts or the picnics, so a brine would work just fine. You can brine them for about 4 hours or inject them a few hours before they go on the smoker.

Yes as GL-BBQ states, Chris Lilly's Injection is good using almost any fruit juice or nectar (Apple, Pear, Peach, White Grape). I get my best results using OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection and Rub

For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

I'd cut the salt in the injection by half. I find it too salty.

Chris Lilly has won The Pork Shoulder catagory 8 times and won MIM 4 times with it. Give the man his props. When I saw him this year, I told him they should rename the catagory "The Chris Lilly Pork Shoulder catagory".

leanza
08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Great advice you have been given. Dont forget the search feature we got going here Wealth of knowledge