PDA

View Full Version : Brisket prep....is there anything wrong with this idea?

BriGreentea
08-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Brisket is my favorite meat to smoke by a landslide. I have prepped and tried too many different ideas to think of. I ran across one website to do this and never occurred to me. It has to do with Allegro, a marinade I use often for not only briskets but steaks. I have always loved the flavor. I don't know if it really tenderizes but I just love the taste of it as an enhancer. I used to put some foil down 4 times and wide, put some Allegro on first and rub it in, then used mustard for slather, again rubbed all the way across, then put a store rub with a few other spices added and rubbed again, foiled it for overnight in the fridge.

I came across one that is putting all three of these in a bowl (Allegro, mustard and rub), making almost like a paste, then putting it all over the brisket. Saves time, but is this any more effective or less then the way I was doing it? I just mixed it in a bowl, used a spoon and rubbed it in.

I guess if anything I should have the ultimate bark which I love. I learned awhile back that smoking brisket fat side up is pointless to me. Mainly the grill marks and destroying the rub crust. I know I have heard many that say the fat "drips" supposedly into the brisket while it is cooking but I have found and perhaps a theory that fat side down protects some of the radiant heat. and not only looks fantastic after resting and done I have yet to complete a dry product and has turned out well. With this, I have found putting rub on the fat cap is overrated and a waste of good rub. I know there is many that disagree but I never thought it really penetrated the fat and thus what was the point.

oldbill
08-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Over the years I've tried all kinds of slathers, marinades, cooking temps and everything else you can think of but I've always come back to the simple central Texas style approach. You can get a good tasting brisket in a number of ways but this is IMO still the best.
To make a true central Texas style brisket you'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke! Here's my method.
Start with a whole packer brisket. A whole packer consist of two parts, the point (fattier portion) and the flat (the leaner portion). Be sure and ask your market manager or butcher for that cut.
Once you have found your brisket, trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:

Brew n Que
08-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Over the years I've tried all kinds of slathers, marinades, cooking temps and everything else you can think of but I've always come back to the simple central Texas style approach. You can get a good tasting brisket in a number of ways but this is IMO still the best.
To make a true central Texas style brisket you'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke! Here's my method.
Start with a whole packer brisket. A whole packer consist of two parts, the point (fattier portion) and the flat (the leaner portion). Be sure and ask your market manager or butcher for that cut.
Once you have found your brisket, trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:

I'll second this method. I cook a bit lower, so mine takes longer, but otherwise is the same as this. Just as an FYI, I recently tried a different rub of mustard, pickle juice, Lawrys, S&P, and garlic powder. I couldn't distinguish its taste from that of S&P only. The bark was identical as well.

Also, a side note on bark. I actually like the bark that forms on top of the fat cap much better than the bark that forms on the meat. It is not crunchy, but has a good pull to it and is sticky, like meat candy! I do my briskets fat up so I can preserve the fat cap bark.

Bludawg
08-28-2014, 02:08 PM
My Brother from another mother speaks the truth(taught that boy all he knows:laugh:)

landarc
08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I think you should try it. It's not how I do brisket, but, there is no reason to believe I am right in how I do brisket for anyone by me. Give it a shot, if you like Allegro, I see no reason this would not work.

If it doesn't, there is always chili to get rid of a failed brisket experiment.

aawa
08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
I'll second this method. I cook a bit lower, so mine takes longer, but otherwise is the same as this. Just as an FYI, I recently tried a different rub of mustard, pickle juice, Lawrys, S&P, and garlic powder. I couldn't distinguish its taste from that of S&P only. The bark was identical as well.

Also, a side note on bark. I actually like the bark that forms on top of the fat cap much better than the bark that forms on the meat. It is not crunchy, but has a good pull to it and is sticky, like meat candy! I do my briskets fat up so I can preserve the fat cap bark.

What you described about the "bark on the fat cap" that is known as the sugar cookie if I am not mistaken. You have to make sure you get that fat rendered out properly though.

oldbill
08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
My Brother from another mother speaks the truth(taught that boy all he knows:laugh:)That's not too far from the truth! When I first found this forum, I'd been going off in other directions and trying different things (reinventing the wheel) but when I read Bludawg's KISS Method I realized that the old simple way was still the way to go!:-D
Thanks for helping me get my head screwed back on Blu!:wink:

aawa
08-28-2014, 03:01 PM
That's not too far from the truth! When I first found this forum, I'd been going off in other directions and trying different things (reinventing the wheel) but when I read Bludawg's KISS Method I realized that the old simple way was still the way to go!:-D
Thanks for helping me get my head screwed back on Blu!:wink:

You have to experiment to find out what you enjoy.

I still deviate from a nice simple salt and pepper rub on my brisket, just to see if I like it or not. You will never know if you find something else you might like. The big thing is never forget the basics.

Enrico Brandizzi
08-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Next one will be thus!

oldbill
08-28-2014, 03:04 PM
What you described about the "bark on the fat cap" that is known as the sugar cookie if I am not mistaken. You have to make sure you get that fat rendered out properly though.Actually there is a style of brisket here in Texas that is called "sugar cookie" that consists of packing huge amounts of brown sugar, turbinado sugar or a combination of the two on the brisket after it's seasoned. That said, sweet beef is just nasty to me and is quite possibly sacrilegious, in fact I'm certain that Texans who use that method will end up in a special little corner of BBQ hell when they're done in this life! LOL!!!:-P

landarc
08-28-2014, 03:05 PM
For those who don't know, Allegro is a form of marinade, I think of it as American Worcestershire sauce, as it lacks the tamarind and anchovy paste, it is a great accent to beef. I can totally see it as a brisket spray, if you like to add some moisture to your wrap. To that end, it might work great on a brisket.

landarc
08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Actually there is a style of brisket here in Texas that is called "sugar cookie" that consists of packing huge amounts of brown sugar, turbinado sugar or a combination of the two on the brisket after it's seasoned. That said, sweet beef is just nasty to me and is quite possibly sacrilegious, in fact I'm certain that Texans who use that method will end up in a special little corner of BBQ hell when they're done in this life! LOL!!!:-P
I try to be open minded, but, packed on? That sounds horrible :tsk:

aawa
08-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I am not 100% sure with the sugar cookie packs on the brown sugar or not. From what I have seen is they rub the brisket, then on the fat side, they add on brown sugar. When rendered down you get the sweet succulent rendered down fat with a hint of the rub and then the sweetness from the brown sugar.

I would try it if someone cooked it that way, but I personally won't be doing that to a brisket I purchase.

Bludawg
08-28-2014, 04:16 PM
The "Sugar Cookie" is the sticky exterior formed from the natural sugars in the fat cap caramelizing from rendering out fully (one reason to trim it to 1/4"), this is helped by the salt in the rub. BWTFDIK hey you wanna put 10 lbs of dark brown on the Brisket go right ahead you have to eat it I don't. :mmph: :crazy: Where do these folks come from and where do they come up with this stuff???:twitch:

deguerre
08-28-2014, 04:20 PM
For those who don't know, Allegro is a form of marinade, I think of it as American Worcestershire sauce, as it lacks the tamarind and anchovy paste, it is a great accent to beef. I can totally see it as a brisket spray, if you like to add some moisture to your wrap. To that end, it might work great on a brisket.

I was just thinking that, with the ingredients:

Ingredient Statement: Original
INGREDIENTS: SOY SAUCE (WATER, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLORING), WATER, LIME JUICE (FROM CONCENTRATE), SPICE, DRIED GARLIC, CITRIC ACID, LIME OIL. GLUTEN FREE

The leftovers, especially the point, would make for a really good noodle dish like a modified pho. I've used Allegro before but prefer Dales or Worsy for beef, and I have no problems cooking a non traditional smoked and braised packer. I havent bought Allegro since before I joined this site. I may have to experiment again.

oldbill
08-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Here's an old thread that was started after an episode of BBQ Pitmasters back in 2012 concerning the "sugar cookie" brisket! Some of the comments are pretty funny.:grin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149731

MS2SB
08-28-2014, 05:58 PM
To the OPs original point. Mixing your slather and marinade together before applying should work without any issue.

deguerre
08-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Here's an old thread that was started after an episode of BBQ Pitmasters back in 2012 concerning the "sugar cookie" brisket! Some of the comments are pretty funny.:grin:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149731
Uh oh...I just realized I'm a skinny cook. Pay no attention to my posts. I'll understand. :becky:
Just so you know, I do the Bludawg method too. :thumb:

bluzieq
08-28-2014, 08:39 PM
I've tried new & better things :(, but the last week I spent on my TEXAS bbq crawl, Franklins,kreuz,smittys,blacks & louie mueller, I can't wait to back that stickburner out of the garage,knock the dust off that post oak, and break out the salt & peppered brisket.Salt&Pepper!

oldbill
08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Uh oh...I just realized I'm a skinny cook. Pay no attention to my posts. I'll understand. :becky:
Just so you know, I do the Bludawg method too. :thumb:LOL! I used to be skinny too but years of gluttony has taken it's toll. I need to lose about 15 - 20 lb.'s but if that means giving up my beer and brisket points I guess I'm just S.O.L.!:-P
I'll always pay attention to your posts, you usually have something intelligent to say and I like talking to intelligent people. Those kinds of people are few and far between these days!:wink:

THoey1963
08-29-2014, 01:19 PM
LOL! I used to be skinny too but years of gluttony has taken it's toll. I need to lose about 15 - 20 lb.'s but if that means giving up my beer and brisket points I guess I'm just S.O.L.!:-P

We might be related!