PDA

View Full Version : Kingsford Comp/Stubbs Briqs

rtboswell
08-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Anyone use these in a vertical water smoker? I've heard from a friend that they have had issues with them continually smoking (not a huge amount of smoke, just a small continual amount) when they used it in their vertical water cooker with the snake method/maze method.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Is their something my friend could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!

thesemicullen
08-28-2014, 07:36 AM
My only problem with K Comp is that it burns faster than K blue. I didn't notice any extra smoke.

Edited to add: Here's a link to a comparison posted here back in 2011 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122635).

Pappy Q
08-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I have used the K-comp in Backwoods and Humphreys with no issues.

pjtexas1
08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Stubb's will smoke in the beginning but that is about it. I use it in all my cookers. No issues with a maze or minion.

DriverWild
08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I prefer Comp & Stubbs over KBB. They don't give off a chemical-like smell like KBB, personal preference.

USMC
08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
To date, the best luck I have ever had with any charcoal is with Stubb's. I've even stopped using lump. It does smoke a little at startup, but you can tell from the smell of the smoke that it is all natural. Once it gets going it burns nice and clean.

I never noticed the acrid smell and taste from KBB because I grew up on it. Once I started using lump and natural briquettes, I could tell something was off when I went back to it. I will use it in a pinch for grilling. I'll never smoke on KBB again unless it is my only option, i.e. every store in a 50 mile radius is out of Stubb's!

MarleyMan
08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
I use Stubb's in my Humphrey's frequently...no issues. As other's mentioned yes it does smoke a bit at startup, but once it gets going its fine.

rtboswell
08-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'll pick up some Stubbs for my next cook.

RolandJT
08-28-2014, 11:06 PM
I usually use lump, but I've used kingsford comp several times with no problem.

I use comp 2 briqs wide in my WSM 22.5 to smoke bacon and add wood chunks for flavor. No issues