PDA

View Full Version : Double Brisket

gregmay
08-27-2014, 10:30 PM
I have two choice grade packer briskets (11 lbs & 13 lbs) that I will be cooking for two different events on the same weekend.

I was going to smoke them in my extra wide gasser and toward the end separate the points, wrap the flats and place them in a cooler together, leaving the points in the smoker for burnt ends. So far so good, but . . . . I got to thinking!!!

How about if I removed the points, then stacked the flats on top of each other, bottom one flat cap down, top one fat cap up, and the points fat side down on the rack below so that the rendered fat from the flats bastes the points, flipping the two flats about half way through?

Or should I just stay with keeping the packer in tact, one on each shelf. separating the points at the end. I do realize the cook time of the stacked flats will be longer and there will be less bark on them but I have the time to be able to do that and I could always blast the outside with my makeshift salamander to brown up the non-fat side.

Look forward to your comments for/against and any other comments.

Thanks.

IamMadMan
08-28-2014, 06:18 AM
It's simply a matter of choice. One can buy flats or points if they wish, one could buy a packer and separate them if they wish.

I prefer to cook the packer whole, and separate the point at the end to make burnt ends.

oldbill
08-28-2014, 09:45 AM
I would say that if you're planning on stacking the points and flats anyway, you might as well just leave the briskets in tact. The only good reason to separate the points from the flats is to speed up the cook and to get more bark on the meat, neither looks to be a priority to you so why go through all the extra work? I'd leave em whole, separate the points and flats after they're cooked and make the burnt ends while the flats are resting. Having said that though I have a suggestion to make about basting the meat as it cooks!:-D
If you trim a good amount of fat off of the fat-caps before you cook the briskets, place the trimmed off pieces on the rack directly above the meat in your cooker and allow the drippings from the rendering fat to drip on to your briskets. It really adds a nice deep, beefy flavor to the bark and you could even season the fat with some of your rub to add flavor as well.:wink:

gregmay
08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
The meat was purchase from a restaurant supply company and only came as a frozen complete point and flat packer. The thought was to remove the points before starting so the flats would sit flat, that way the stacked flats would have fat on both sides and the points would sit below them.

I think I like your idea oldbill, putting the trimmed fat above to drip/baste the flats and I would get more smoke into the meat if the fat is removed, there would be more bark too but that part is less important as I actually am contemplating 4 to 5 hours of smoke followed by 72 hours at 135F in my sous-vide set up, finishing on the BBQ and/or my salamander.

The points will stay in the smoker, probably along with some commercial corned beef to be converted to pastrami just in case there isn't enough brisket.