PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on brineing a pork butt

Trunks
08-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Iv never brined a pork butt but have a friend that does. What's ur thoughts on this

I really don't see a need but that's me

Look forward to the responses

okiej
08-27-2014, 09:30 PM
I have not brined one yet but plan to. I do usually inject. To me the meat in the middle lacks a little in flavor. That's why I inject. Not sure if brining would penetrate enough to help. I will be watching replies also

Trunks
08-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Doing 2 this weekend so maybe I'll do 1 and compare them. What do u typically inject with. Apple juice?

okiej
08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Basically the Chris Lilly injection recipe. Although last time I was out of apple juice and substituted beer (That I had) Worked out great
3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C table salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
(this will do 2 butts)

IamMadMan
08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I used to brine, and had good results. Then I started injecting which made the task easier and less clean up. I used Chris Lilly's Injection but last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

I use 1 TBS of OakRidge to 1 cup of apple juice for each 8 pound butt, injecting right through the cyro-packaging to same cleanup. Sometimes I'll rub and let sit overnight, other times I'll rub a few hours before smoking depending upon my time constraints.

BKish25
08-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Brining alone only marinades the surface and just below. I became a convert to injecting brine, which has made for a moister, more flavorful butt. My pork brine recipe is:

1 C salt
1/2 C sugar
4C water

Bring to a boil and stir. Chill before using.

After brining, I also like to apply a rub:

1C salt
1/2 black pepper
1 1/2 C granulated garlic
3 1/2 C paprika
4 C light brown sugar

aawa
08-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't brine or inject. I find that pork butts don't need it to be moist and dericious. There is enough interconnective tissue/fat that breaks down to collagen which makes the pork butts nice and moist.

I have injected before, but I hate masking the flavors of the meat with the injections/brines.

oldbill
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
I don't brine or inject. I find that pork butts don't need it to be moist and dericious. There is enough interconnective tissue/fat that breaks down to collagen which makes the pork butts nice and moist.

I have injected before, but I hate masking the flavors of the meat with the injections/brines.Well said!:thumb: I don't inject pork or even use any of the complexed rubs on it for the very same reason, I wan't to taste the pork and it can be over powered pretty easily by overloading the meat with too much stuff.
I use the same thing on butts that I use for my spares, a rub of salt, pepper, garlic and a little smoked paprika for a nice mahogany color as well as it's subtle flavor. Along with some good pecan smoke, that's all I need on my pork!:grin:

jham0077
08-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I brine mine. Usually 8-10 hours, depending on the size. I know it doesn't make it all the way in. I think it adds enough salty sweetness to the outer layer to spread through the meat after it's pullled and stirred around. I only rub/sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Redleg71
08-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Brine. It can't hurt!

BBQ Bandit
08-28-2014, 10:03 AM
If you want a brined butt - look for the cheap Hormel brand and look for 20% enhanced solution added in fine print on the label.

BBQchef33
08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
if you do brine, dont leave it in too long or make the solution too strong(salty).. you will wind up with a hammy tasting butt.

I used to brine all the time, then just went to injecting. injecting gets the flavor deeper in than brining and i didnt notice much of a difference in moisture retention when brining vs not brining. So it wasnt worth the time.

our archive has alot of brining experiments in the 2004-2005 time frame if u feel like digging... I brined in margarita mix once.. dont do that.. :oops:

Terry The Toad
08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
I guess I like my pulled pork "nekkid". I don't need the additional moisture (pork butts have plenty of juicy fat already), and I prefer to taste the pork itself (rather than any additional flavors.) Just my .02 :-D

RolandJT
08-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Well said!:thumb: I don't inject pork or even use any of the complexed rubs on it for the very same reason, I wan't to taste the pork and it can be over powered pretty easily by overloading the meat with too much stuff.
I use the same thing on butts that I use for my spares, a rub of salt, pepper, garlic and a little smoked paprika for a nice mahogany color as well as it's subtle flavor. Along with some good pecan smoke, that's all I need on my pork!:grin:

My dad is from west TN. He gave me a little %^$#& about adding salt. I do, but he never did.

I like it better with salt, but it is surprisingly good with nothing, just adding seasonings at the end--salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, vinegar, hot sauce

El Ropo
08-29-2014, 02:34 PM
If I wanted my pulled pork to taste like ham, I'd buy an enhanced roast. So the answer is a big fat no.

I know injecting is probably a necessity to win comps, but I don't do comps, and like my pork to taste porky, not hammy, or not like whatever flavor the injection adds. So no brine, no injections.

If I feel like living it up, I'll whip up some Shack Attack Sauce or something similar to add some zing to the final product. I'm not big on using mustard and getting fancy with rubs either. SPOG on a nekkid butt or picnic works just as good as anything, and I get to control how much sodium is in the final product.

spyre
08-29-2014, 02:46 PM
I brine with
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 qts cold water
3 tbsp or so dry rub
2 bay leaves

I generally cut salt lower in the rub than if I wasn't brining. It always turns out awesome so I stick with what works.