PDA

View Full Version : smoked butts freezing question

Trunks
08-27-2014, 12:11 PM
like the idea i saw on here for portioning off the left overs and vacupaking them so all that is needed is drop package in bailing water and im all set next time i get a craving it

just wondering how long they can stay frozen b4 i have to toss it?

thanks

Fat Cap
08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
i have vaccuum sealed pulled pork in the freezer that is 3 months old and it tastes just fine.

IamMadMan
08-27-2014, 01:52 PM
If vac-sealed you are good for 2 years, but it never lasts that long....:grin:

I have has some that dropped to the back and bottom of the freezer and got lost for over 1 year and it was still great!!!

Now I reorganize the freezers every 6 months to try and prevent this, by turning some of the leftovers into soups. stews, casseroles, ans/or tacos..

Grillman
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
like the idea i saw on here for portioning off the left overs and vacupaking them so all that is needed is drop package in bailing water and im all set next time i get a craving it

just wondering how long they can stay frozen b4 i have to toss it?

thanks

Never.

Frozen food doesn't go bad, so you will never need to throw it away.

oldbill
08-27-2014, 02:26 PM
It would probably be different without the vacuum sealed bag but with it you'll be able to keep your butt almost indefinitely as long as it stays frozen!:-D

GrillsGoneWild
08-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Vacuum sealed meat stays good for up to 2 years. Probably longer than that, but if you have over 2 year old frozen meat, you aren't eating enough meat. I seal up smoked chicken, pulled pork, racks of ribs, brisket, etc all the time for reheating at a later time.

outofbounds
08-28-2014, 02:59 PM
If your family is like mine, it will not last in the freezer that long b/c it gets eaten. I use ziplock bags and thaw out in fridge. Heat up on a pan with EVOO or zap in microwave.

Friedturkeyspam
08-28-2014, 03:15 PM
I smoke pork butts, pull them, add back the juice, mix and put in zip lock freezer bags with all the air pushed out, pretty flat and about an inch thick or so. Stack them in the freezer and take them out and put in the fridge to thaw as needed. My wife doesn't like smoked food so when I fire up the smoker I make a decent batch to eat on over the next several weeks/months.

It can go bad in the fridge but I think you're golden as long as you want in the freezer.

Tricky
08-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I smoke pork butts, pull them, add back the juice, mix and put in zip lock freezer bags with all the air pushed out, pretty flat and about an inch thick or so.

I do this too but use a vacuumsealer. When you add back the juice (which includes some fat) the fat will solidify and you'll be able to see it in your meat. But I like it in there so when I toss the vacuum-sealed bag into a pot of water to reheat it comes out moist and delicious. Its really a great way to store your pulled pork for an extended period of time.

charlieclaus
08-28-2014, 07:15 PM
I vacuum seal pulled pork all the time...stick it in a vacuum bag and add some of the juices....I stack it unsealed in my freezer overnight....then vacuum seal it...that way I don't get juice running all over my sealer...