PDA

View Full Version : Kamado Repair/Refurbish Project

YSR
08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I have a Kinuurayaki Pottery Imperial Kamado #5 with all original parts. I bought it in the early 1990’s.101320

The firebox broke some years ago, but I was able to make it work. Recently I decided to remove the innards, and repair or replace all that needed such.
The Fire ring was broken (two pieces) and the 2 wires were rusted and falling apart. I bonded it back together and used bailing wire to replace the original wire bands.
The Firebox (was originally two components) was beyond repair. My research led me to Grill Dome who confirmed that they had a one piece firebox that would fit my Kamado. I’ve ordered it along with some other components that I have not yet received.
Next, I set out to find a replacement for the slide door that also was beyond repair. I was hopeful to find a stainless steel replacement that would have holes that line up. Though I found several claims of a slide that would line up, none did. I took measurements to a BGE store and other places on several brands and nothing fit. I found an original for sale, so that’s on the way.

Over the years, my hinge mechanism had become slightly bent allowing for only one side to “latch” in the open and locked position. It worked fine however and sealed wonderfully even though the lid landed slightly off center. As I attempted to straighten the mechanism, the hinge cracked.101318

I’m debating attempting repair vs. buying an exact replacement I found for $299.00. I would rather buy the replacement, but $299.00 seems like a very high price. Would any of you know where I might find one that will work/fit? I’m not sure I’m married to the idea of the correct replacement, especially if I could find a stainless steel version with or without the spring counterbalance. The circumference of the Kamado base is 68”.

As I take it apart, I’m torn between a proper restoration and a “practical” set of repairs.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

Wickedcajun
08-25-2014, 06:21 PM
That is awesome!!! I vote for complete restoration!!

YSR
08-26-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks Wickedcajun,
That's how I'm leaning, though I'm not sure I would repaint. Anyone out there know of a source for old Kamado parts? I found one in NY but they are the ones with the $299 hinge kit price.

IamMadMan
08-26-2014, 05:35 AM
If you have something else to cook on, I would do a complete restoration because you will probably wind up doing it later anyways..