PDA

View Full Version : WSM-mini: Temp. control ?

mikemci
08-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Question for the mini using brethren. I am gathering materials for a mini build.
1) Smokey Joe Gold
2) Vasconia 32 qt. steamer
3) Charcoal basket
4) Will use the steamer plate (no terra-cotta)
Also, put the cooking grate 4 1/2" down from the top? How tall for the sides of the charcoal basket?

To control temp, do I leave the top vent wide open and adjust the side vents as necessary? How do yall do it?

Thanks!

Fwismoker
08-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Question for the mini using brethren. I am gathering materials for a mini build.
1) Smokey Joe Gold good choice
2) Vasconia 32 qt. steamer good choice
3) Charcoal basket good choice
4) Will use the steamer plate (no terra-cotta)good choice
Also, put the cooking grate 4 1/2" down from the top? I did 4" but what's another .5"... How tall for the sides of the charcoal basket? It'll be about 3" high because any higher then the grill grate wouldn't be able to sit on the grill for grilling and searing

To control temp, do I leave the top vent wide open and adjust the side vents as necessary? How do yall do it? top is always open and adjust from the bottom

Thanks!

You'll love the mini, just holler if you need help or got questions.

mikemci
08-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Fwismoker, you said 4" down for grate height. Can you fit a whole chicken on that set-up?

Fwismoker
08-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Just re measured and I'm actually at 4 1/2. It does chickens great but even though i started with upright birds now it's only spatchcock.

benniesdad
08-23-2014, 06:19 AM
I use the same basic set up with one grate on lip made for the steamer plate and the other one 4.5 inches from the top. I don't use a charcoal basket. For temp control, I leave the top vent 100% open and do all the temp control using the two vents on the base. I have had best results using both vents vs. using just one. In my experience, it burns more evenly that way.

peeps
08-23-2014, 07:19 AM
These guys covered it pretty well....you are gonna love the mini!

I actually cooked on my recently modified mini last night just for fwismoker. I had drilled holes in the steamer insert template and recently cut the bottom out and cooked some great chicken titty last night directly over the coals! :thumb:

I would start with that setup instead of drilling holes. Learn from my experience! :wink: