PDA

View Full Version : First whole hog in 25 years, tomorrow.

jazzbert
08-22-2014, 08:58 AM
I could use a little advice for cooking a 65lb porker on a spit:

Would you cut off the feet and tongue?
Should I season the inside of the carcass?
If yes, then what would you use?

P0rn promised!

Thanks!
Albert

B-More BBQ Junkie
08-22-2014, 09:37 AM
IMO, I would remove whatever you're not planning on eating before you cook it. I personally wouldn't touch anything on the head or lower legs, so I'd remove those. Never did a whole hog, but have helped my dad do a couple whole lambs when I was younger and that's pretty much what we did.

Yellowhair42
08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
DO NOT CUT OFF THE HEAD! The best meat on the whole thing is the cheeks(jowls)and the tongue.

Tricky
08-22-2014, 12:27 PM
I was at a Hawaiian pig roast years ago and the old Hawaiian guy in charge of the cook gave me the pig tongue (he somewhat jokingly said it would help me be a "good talker" - I was in law school at the time and thought anything to help that process might be worth a try :-D).

After he peeled the tongue skin back with his tongs, the meat inside was just delicious porky goodness. After all, its just another muscle.

And the head can really add to the presentation, so I wouldn't cut if off before the cook. I like the pics I've seen where the cook sticks a wood chunk in the pigs mouth as it cooks, and then replaces it with an apple when its on the serving table.

Dadeo719
08-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Remove head......

Send to me......

Thank you.

jazzbert
08-22-2014, 01:45 PM
OK, will keep the head, otherwise the fella will lose most of his charm.

How about the feet?

markdtn
08-22-2014, 01:53 PM
OK, will keep the head, otherwise the fella will lose most of his charm.

How about the feet?

I left it on. How are you cooking it? Spit? Racer style? In the ground?

jazzbert
08-22-2014, 01:58 PM
I left it on. How are you cooking it? Spit? Racer style? In the ground?

Roasting on a spit. First time in a long time, last was my bachelor party and before that graduation.

Lately been getting into Q and hosting a good number of folks.

Any advice on seasoning the inside?

thx