PDA

View Full Version : Getting a stable temperature

zubby01
08-19-2014, 09:02 PM
I've only cooked about 4 briskets ever on a smoker. They're not bad but not great. I have a Weber 18 1/2" Kettle w/ upgraded grates. It has a vent on the lid and a vent on the bottom.

I put my charcoal on one half and a water pan on the other half. I also build a "wall" w/ foil that kinda divides the smoker in half. The foil goes from the top grate to the bottom grate. I put my brisket on top of the grate w/ water pan underneath away from the side w/ the charcoal.

This last time I cooked a brisket, it took me a REALLY long time to dial in the temperature. I tried to adjust in small increments but the temperature swung wildly. There wasn't any wind as I smoke on the porch.

For example, the temp would be at 300 and I would dial it down a bit, wait 10 minutes and go back and check then it would be at 200. The I would open it up a bit and go check and it would be at 350.

I know I have to get used to the cooker and make adjustments accordingly but this went on a really long time.

Any advice other than I just have to learn how the smoker reacts through experience?

peeps
08-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Learn to use the snake method...

The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube

SmittyJonz
08-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Leave Exhaust open and adjust the intake on bottom.

pjtexas1
08-19-2014, 09:49 PM
^^^ this

leanza
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Remember oxygen and fuel are the bases for any and all temperature variations. Drafty cooker means more oxy

code3rrt
08-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Agree with Peeps, learn the snake, it works great in a Kettle.

KC

Ron_L
08-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Besides using the snake method, learn the temp that your kettle is happy running at. Most cookers have a temp where they run best. Learn that and cook at that temp. Why fight it.

USMC
08-19-2014, 10:26 PM
The 18.5 is hard to regulate temps. I do short smokes on mine. I couldn't imagine trying to regulate temps on it for a long smoke. I agree with the others, the snake method will give you more consistent temps than how you are currently doing it though.

08-19-2014, 10:34 PM
As mentioned above, the snake method is definitely king for long smokes on a kettle. I like to use lump so I do a modified snake method. I dumped the lit coals on the right in the picture below and it burned across to the left. This load in the 18.5" went 5 hours at 260ish.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj200/kfrede9/IMG-20140804-00278_zps89431161.jpg

Some things that have been successful for me smoking on the kettle:

Use the snake method
Make all adjustments on the intake
Don't make so many adjustments, that you are chasing your adjustments. Let it go +/- 20degrees of your target before making any moves.
Let the kettle do it's thing. It is surprising how little guidence it needs when using the snake method.

The most important tip is to relax. Drink a beer or 6 and don't fret the temperatures too much.

dadsr4
08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Catch the temp on the way up. Let it set for a while until it stabilizes. You can always open the vents a little more if the temp is too low. If you let it get too high, shutting the vents has little effect.

Trailer Trash
08-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Ditto as above plus, keep a record on your "variables", number of coals you use, settings on your vents pictures or drawings of your charcoal placement etc. Adjust as you go. Don't make drastic changes on multiple variables at one time so you can understand the results more clearly. Good luck and remember that all of this is what we find enjoyable in BBQ.

SmittyJonz
08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Build a UDS. :mrgreen:

zubby01
08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
OK Guys. I will try the snake method and only adjust the bottom intake. I have been just 'dumping' the starter coal on the coal in the kettle and it's just a big mound of hotness.
When I start the snake method, how full should I fill my chimney starter and dump it to the side of the unlit coals in the kettle. Or about how much starter coal do I need?