PDA

View Full Version : Barbecue cocktails

BKish25
08-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Not everyone who comes to my cookouts likes beer and even a few of my craft brew friends like a change of pace every now and then.

What mixed drinks do you serve guests while they wait for the food to come off the grill? I get requests in advance to make my sangria recipe:

2 bottles Rojas or semi-dry red wine
6 oz Brandy
6 oz Licor 43 Spanish Vanilla Liqueur
6 oz Sweet Vermouth
3 pints Fruit Juice (e.g. white grape, peach, blended)
6 C Mixed Berries or cubed Fruit in season
3 T Sugar

Combine ingredients in a large jug a and let the fruit mascerate for day before serving. Serve over ice. Optional: top each serving with splash of Sierra Mist or 7-Up. For the holidays, I add several cinnamon sticks and cloves to the jug.

Hawg Father of Seoul
08-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Good variation. I want to make some.

I call my variation the baby maker.

2-3 parts Franzia chillable red
1 part cake vodka
Lemon twist
Serve with lots of ice. It drinks too easy.

The name has to do with my trailer park-fertility axiom.

nmayeux
08-19-2014, 09:02 AM
In the early mornings, we sometimes do a Thug Mimosa. In a short glass, ice, 2 fingers bourbon, and orange juice. Surprisingly good.

Bludawg
08-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I give 4 choices Beer, Box wine, Hard cider, and the clear stuff in a Mason jar. Hey I'm a Bona fide red neck what ya expect French champagne spritzers.:loco::heh:

tb80
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
We make something we call summer ale. It has proven to be a big hit.

Ingredients:
1 Can Frozen Limeade
Vodka (same amount as the can of frozen limeade)
2-3 of beers, preferably Mexican but doesn't really matter. I wouldn't use a craft beer, dark beer or IPA.

Put the frozen limeade in a pitcher.
Fill up the frozen limeade canister with vodka and dump that in the pitcher.
Add 2-3 beers
Add ice and stir

Serve over ice. Very good, very refreshing, and you can't even taste the alcohol.

Another drink is called the Green Lizard. It is a frozen drink that is very popular.

Ingredients:
1 small can of frozen limeade mix
Vodka (same amount as small can of limeade mix)
10-ish fresh mint leaves
Ice

Put it all in a blender and blend until the consistency is like a frozen margarita.

NeilH
08-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Everyone likes maragritas, so that, long island iced tea, and moonshine from the NC mountains. Several flavors of beer available.

Marwendholt
08-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I do a version of long islands we call Audios MF (use your imagination on the MF) around here, gotta be careful because it is rather potent.

Audios MF

1 part vodka
1 part gin
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part blue curacao
2 parts sweet and sour mix
top with a splash of sprite

I usually mix the alcohols ahead of time and add the sweet and sour and sprite to order

I tend to stick with Buffalo Trace over ice or whiskey and coke.

USMC
08-19-2014, 10:13 AM
The common BBQ drinks here on the farm are rum or bourbon and Cokes, Long Island ice teas, various wines and beers, and white lightning.

A newly discovered drink concoction I came up with for the wife and the other ladies that like fruitier sweet drinks is one part Absolut pear vodka and 2-3 parts Welch's mango passion fruit juice. I was experimenting trying to recreate a drink called the "Wake Me Up At 4" from Scruples in Hawaii, a club I frequented with some buddies. This came darn close to it, taste pretty good, and is a real hit with the ladies.

BDAABAT
08-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Mmmmm...surprised there's been no mention of bourbon or whiskey. :twisted:

Mixed...with a splash of water or a little ice.

Bruce

ShadowDriver
08-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Okinawa is generally pretty darned warm. I like cold beverages.
- Mint Juleps are tough to beat if you don't mind a little work. Use quality bourbon.
- If folks want something w/o ice, I'm always a big fan of a Manhattan. (Sensing a trend, are we?)
- Not looking for something quite so strong? I recommend a Bourbon Slush (made the night before for even more chilled goodness)!

Just 2 cents from an old Tarheel in the Pacific.

SD

midwest_kc
08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Me? Beer or Bourbon. My wife will usually put together some margaritas, and have some wine on hand, though.

SPRfree
08-19-2014, 10:53 AM
My BBQ is BYOB...I'm the cook not the bartender.

spyre
08-19-2014, 11:18 AM
I'll make margaritas for people on BBQ days. If the numbers are small I might make some old fashioneds but only for those who I know will actually appreciate them. I homebrew so there is usually some of that always on hand and my wife likes some of the hard ciders so those can usually be found as well.

spyre
08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Mar....AMF's is a dangerous day drink. That's a good way to get people hammered and puking in your smoker lol

BKish25
08-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Bobby Flay's "Barbecue Cocktail" from his Bar Americain cookbook has been making the rounds on the internet:

Ingredients

Ice cubes
2 ounces jalapeño vodka
¼ ounce dry vermouth
1 ounce tomato juice
½ ounce fresh lime juice, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
Pinch of kosher salt, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
Pinch of smoked sweet Spanish paprika, plus ¼ teaspoon for rimming glass
¼teaspoon sugar for rimming glass
Lime twist, for garnish

Directions

1. Fill a mixing glass with ice and add the vodka, vermouth, tomato juice, lime juice, salt and paprika. Stir vigorously until the outside of the glass is beaded with sweat and frosty.

2. Combine the 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar on a small plate. Wet the rim of a chilled martini glass with 1/4 teaspoon lime juice and dip the rim in the salt mixture. Tap off any excess.

3. Strain the drink into the chilled martini glass and garnish with the lime twist.

Grimm5577
08-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Wild turkey 101 w/ coke, thats my default adult beverage other than beer. But Bloody Mary's with some HDD and a slice of bacon sound good.

MartinM
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
I like good tequila strait.

For my wife I like to make SWEET drinks. I make a strawberry daiquiri that tastes like a slurpy.

I want to make a decent margarita so bad but they turn out terrible..
I do not like the sweet mixes..

I can't screw up a good double of Don Julio Anejo.

BKish25
08-19-2014, 01:12 PM

For my wife I like to make SWEET drinks. I make a strawberry daiquiri that tastes like a slurpy.

Ditch the commercial margarita mix completely (as well as commercial sweet & sour mixes). A margarita should have nothing other than lime juice, tequila, and a bit of triple sec or other orange liqueur. To take some some the tart edge off, add 2T powdered sugar or 2 tsp blue agave nectar. The sweetness should not dominate the drink.

moubike1
08-19-2014, 01:53 PM
+1 to Bludawg. Being in the craft beer industry, that and "craft whiskey" are my only options.

Grimm5577
08-19-2014, 01:57 PM
+1 to Bludawg. Being in the craft beer industry, that and "craft whiskey" are my only options.

do you brew?

Duckboats
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
I supply Rum (several varieties; most high end). Ice, Coke, whatever is your choice.

MartinM
08-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Ditch the commercial margarita mix completely (as well as commercial sweet & sour mixes). A margarita should have nothing other than lime juice, tequila, and a bit of triple sec or other orange liqueur. To take some some the tart edge off, add 2T powdered sugar or 2 tsp blue agave nectar. The sweetness should not dominate the drink.

As simple as that sounds... I screw it up.

THoey1963
08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
I am with SPRfree. When I invite others over for dinner of any sort, we provide all the food, but it's BYOBooze. There is always Bud Light (my drink of choice), 1800 (wife's), and boxed Merlot (also the wife's) available that we are willing to share.

peeps
08-19-2014, 02:31 PM
As simple as that sounds... I screw it up.Here is an easy option that you CANNOT screw up...

Go to the orange juice section of your grocer and pick up a bottle of Simply Limeade. Mix whatever ratio you desire of it and a good mid-level reposado.

You're welcome! :thumb:

Wickedcajun
08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Gentleman Jack and a glass

Hawg Father of Seoul
08-19-2014, 04:39 PM

Something foolproof. 1.5 parts Cuervo mix, 1 part Sauza or Cazadores, splash of good Orange liquor, and good salt in the drink.

Add lime and Orange zest if you want to kick it up.

I use confit lime and Orange, but I make my own mixer too.

Swine Spectator
08-19-2014, 05:08 PM
In my opinion, the ultimate mixed drink for barbequed and grilled foods was inspired by Earnest Hemmingway:

The Dark and Stormy

2 ounces black rum (esp. Gosling's)
3 ounces ginger beer
1/2 ounce lime juice

The sweetness of the rum is offset by the spiciness of the ginger beer and the acid of the lime. If you think about it, you could add a tomato product and practically have a barbeque sauce.... hmmm....

Ed Embry
08-19-2014, 05:28 PM
We like to serve Paloma's during the hot summers here:

Paloma

Ingredients

• 2 ounces tequila
• 1/2 ounce lime juice
• pinch of salt
• grapefruit soda

Instructions

Combine the tequila (reposado, preferably), lime juice, and salt in a tall glass. Add ice, top off with grapefruit soda, and stir.

caseydog
08-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Not everyone who comes to my cookouts likes beer and even a few of my craft brew friends like a change of pace every now and then.

What mixed drinks do you serve guests while they wait for the food to come off the grill? I get requests in advance to make my sangria recipe:

2 bottles Rojas or semi-dry red wine
6 oz Brandy
6 oz Licor 43 Spanish Vanilla Liqueur
6 oz Sweet Vermouth
3 pints Fruit Juice (e.g. white grape, peach, blended)
6 C Mixed Berries or cubed Fruit in season
3 T Sugar

Combine ingredients in a large jug a and let the fruit mascerate for day before serving. Serve over ice. Optional: top each serving with splash of Sierra Mist or 7-Up. For the holidays, I add several cinnamon sticks and cloves to the jug.

I have fond memories of sipping Sangria from six weeks in Spain. I have yet to find a recipe that is as good as what I had there. Maybe I should give your recipe a shot.

BTW, I think you meant Rioja, not Rojas for that wine. :wink:

CD

caseydog
08-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Do you like Piña Coladas? (Jimmy Buffet Mod)...

The family used to live in Puerto Rico. Here is an authentic Old San Juan recipe.

Equal parts Coco Lopez coconut cream, pineapple juice (not from concentrate), and dark rum (NOT Bacardi). DonQ was the most popular in PR.

I use the empty Coco Lopez can to measure out my pineapple juice and rum.

Combine in a blender with ice to the top, and blend until creamy smooth. Garnish with a wedge of FRESH pineapple.

These are always a huge hit, especially with the ladies. :cool:

CD

JDM46
08-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Ceaser's with olives, celery, dill pickle and horseradish.:icon_smile_tongue:

nastynotch347
08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Tequila, squirt, lime, salt. It's basically a margarita on the rocks.

dbq
08-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Just give me a splash of Scotch on the rocks, if you're cooking with charcoal your drink might as well taste like it, too.

guero_gordo
08-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Not big on diluting my bourbon, but I do like me some Lynchburg lemonade when it's hot out.
Gin and tonic and Moscow mules(with Fever Tree ginger beer) are also popular.

Neil
08-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Jack on the rocks.

BKish25
08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
An after dinner drink I like to serve at barbecues and tapas parties is Agua de Valencia:

1 C Cava sparkling wine (chilled)
3 C orange juice
3 oz Cointreau
1/4 sugar

Stir all ingredients in a pitcher and serve immediately.

Quint
08-21-2014, 09:25 AM
We make something we call summer ale. It has proven to be a big hit.

Ingredients:
1 Can Frozen Limeade
Vodka (same amount as the can of frozen limeade)
2-3 of beers, preferably Mexican but doesn't really matter. I wouldn't use a craft beer, dark beer or IPA.

Put the frozen limeade in a pitcher.
Fill up the frozen limeade canister with vodka and dump that in the pitcher.
Add 2-3 beers
Add ice and stir

Serve over ice. Very good, very refreshing, and you can't even taste the alcohol.

Dude that sounds disgusting but I've got to try it :-D..........is that 2-3 cans of beer?

thesemicullen
08-21-2014, 09:27 AM
In my opinion, the ultimate mixed drink for barbequed and grilled foods was inspired by Earnest Hemmingway:

The Dark and Stormy

2 ounces black rum (esp. Gosling's)
3 ounces ginger beer
1/2 ounce lime juice

The sweetness of the rum is offset by the spiciness of the ginger beer and the acid of the lime. If you think about it, you could add a tomato product and practically have a barbeque sauce.... hmmm....

+1 This is my very favorite mixed drink (although I don't use any lime).

B-More BBQ Junkie
08-21-2014, 09:39 AM
A super easy and super delicious cocktail is 8-12 oz of sweet tea, and 2 oz of limoncello. Serve over ice

Quint
08-21-2014, 09:46 AM

BYOB and make sure you bring some FOR the cook...

B-More BBQ Junkie
08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Another great one is called an Orange Crush. They are real big around Baltimore, and most places around here have specials on them durring Orioles games.
2 oz Orange vodka
1 oz Triple Sec
1 fresh squeezed orange
4-6 oz Sprite
Serve over ice

ATucker
08-21-2014, 10:57 AM

^^This^^

BKish25
08-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Another great one is called an Orange Crush. They are real big around Baltimore, and most places around here have specials on them durring Orioles games.
2 oz Orange vodka
1 oz Triple Sec
1 fresh squeezed orange
4-6 oz Sprite
Serve over ice

Thanks! Every first Friday of the NCAA basketball tournament, my wife I host a March Madness cocktail party which has a themed drink menu done up as a bracket. I'll add this drink into the "East Region" next year. :grin:

EricD
08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Anyone ever try smoked ice?? I put a tray of water on the grill with some hickory smoke. For about 30 min. Then freeze the water. Use the ice cubes for a smoky Mai-Tai, or even better in a Bloody Mary.

B-More BBQ Junkie
08-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks! Every first Friday of the NCAA basketball tournament, my wife I host a March Madness cocktail party which has a themed drink menu done up as a bracket. I'll add this drink into the "East Region" next year. :grin:

No prob. I might have the oz measurements for the vodka and triple sec reversed, so test it out first.

BKish25
08-30-2014, 11:59 AM
A friend in Tuscaloosa, AL, sent me a few Gallette's game day cups and a suggested copy cat recipe for the famous yellow hammer drink. It's potent and something I would enjoy AFTER tending the pit.

2 parts orange juice
2 parts pineapple juice
1 part vodka
1 part dark rum
1/2 part amaretto
Splash of grenadine

Roll Tide!

LYU370
08-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Real Margarita's.

Shot of tequila
Shot of Triple Sec
One fresh squeezed lime
Ice

Shake, shake, shake

For the wimps, I'll dilute it with about 4-5oz of water and put it in a tall glass.

I use a little more triple sec for the sweetness, you don't need to add sugar. For limes I get the small ones they sell in the Mexican markets for 10 for a dollar, not the real big ones from the chain grocery stores. If you use those, use half a lime. For my BBQ's I'll use Sauza and your generic triple sec. If I'm making them for myself, it's Casa Noble Reposado and Cointreau.

Tom Dean
08-31-2014, 02:47 AM
Margaritas for a crowd:
1ea 750ml Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila
3ea 750ml Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix
25 oz Grand Marnier (+- to taste)
1ea 2 gallon water bottle (empty)

Pour all the liquids in the water bottle. Shake well. Pour back into the 4ea 750ml bottles. Chill.
It will not all fit in the 4 bottles - Be neat - cook drinks the leftover

BKish25
08-31-2014, 09:24 AM
After gorging on slow cooked beef last evening, I made "sour raspberries" for the night cap:

1 1/2 oz Jack Daniels
1/2 oz Chambord
Dr Pepper

Combine liquors in a high ball glass over ice, fill with Dr Pepper and stir. While on business in Charleston, WV, several years ago, a bartender at the Power Alley Bar & Grill at the minor league ballpark was experimenting with new recipes and let me try it.