PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Wangs-Asian Appetizers-pr0n

buccaneer
08-18-2014, 03:21 PM
When I was a young man, I was in north western Thailand and feeling a bit bored.
Looking for adventure, I decided to catch a transport with the local people to a market that was on the Thai Cambodian border.
We all piled into a truck that had bench seats along the back, and I enjoyed a dusty and bumpy ride.
What in my ignorance I had not thought about at all was the friction between the two countries, and the ver tough Thai Military Border Patrol.
The truck stopped at a checkpoint and one such warrior popped up on the step in the back rear of the truck and looked at us all.
I was the only European, and his face went into shock when he saw me.
I quickly popped my passport out of my pocket and scooted forward to the edge of the seat and leaned forward, arm extended to him with my passport in it.
I have always had the policy it is best to appease anyone carrying sub machine guns.
He grabbed my wrist and hauled me off my seat and propelled me toward the steel tailgate, aiming past him so I saw in my mind I would sail in a somersault and land on my spine on the earth.
In one of those micro second decisions, my brain signalled a 'better' option, and my decades of rugby had me extend my left foot forward and brake and drive right, still going forward but now I collected him my shoulder to his chest, my arms grappling him in a tackle, and both of us going down but with me landing on him with his submachine gun between us.
Good idea?
No.
No it wasn't.
Suddenly there were three sets of hands on me rolling me off the winded soldier, and now I had three barrels poking me in the chest and three very angry Patrol Guards yelling at me.
I speak Thai quite well, or I did then, so in a few minutes everything calmed down and I got searched and scolded, and sent on my way.
Two hours later, at the market, one of those guards pointed me to a stall where I ate this for the first time.
Cambodian Style stuffed chicken wings.
Morter and pestle, pound lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, Vietnamese mint or thai holy basil, garlic, coriander, salt and galangal until you get a paste.
De bone your chicken wings. Mix the paste with either fish or prawns.
I chose prawns, chopped into small chunks, along with water chestnuts for texture, and add a good glug or two of fish sauce.
Stuff the mixture into the chicken wings.

Oil them and put on the grill.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/IMG_2983_zps8506f956.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/IMG_2987_zpsc4418d11.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/IMG_8337_zps85713c3f.jpg

Thanks for reading!

:yo:

Grimm5577
08-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Looks quite tastey! and a very cool, memorable story to go along with it.
what were you doing in thailand? vacation? military?

jayman
08-18-2014, 04:03 PM
That looks great!

deguerre
08-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Fan farking tastic. Want want WANT want want. :grin:

Ron_L
08-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Wow, Bucc! Those look great! Why didn't you enter those in the Asian Style Chicken Appetizer TD before it closed earlier today?

jemezspring
08-18-2014, 04:24 PM

What happens in Thailand stays in Thailand.

Stingerhook
08-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Nice cook Buccs.

bwodun
08-18-2014, 05:26 PM
wow, those look great, and great story, thanks

buccaneer
08-18-2014, 10:31 PM

What happens in Thailand stays in Thailand.

^^^Bang!
(see what I did there? :laugh:)

martyleach
08-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Buccs! Great story and the chix ain't bad either. I was in Vietnam and came back to Japan for R&R. I came back to the base (I might have had a few drinks) and I had hid a bottle of booze in the taxi. The marine gate guard opened the door, the booze fell out and he told me to pour it out. I told him (because I must have been sober) that it wasn't mine. He grabbed me by the shirt (bad idea) and pulled me out of the cab. I was on top of him when 3 other Marines started beating the crap out of me with billy clubs. Oh well, I learned one thing. Don't friggin' touch me with bad intent if I have been drinking. Thanks for the post! :)

buccaneer
08-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow, Bucc! Those look great! Why didn't you enter those in the Asian Style Chicken Appetizer TD before it closed earlier today?

Thanks, Cap!
Well, you enter Throwdowns to have fun.
The Asian TD's turn out not to be fun for me, so I just do other ones.
I'll PM you with details if you like?
I'm QUIRKY! :laugh:

SmokinAussie
08-19-2014, 04:07 PM
The wangs suck. The story though is a ripper! 8-)

peeps
08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Cap!
Well, you enter Throwdowns to have fun.
The Asian TD's turn out not to be fun for me, so I just do other ones.
I'll PM you with details if you like?
I'm SKAIRED! :laugh:FTFY :wink: :boink:

buccaneer
08-19-2014, 04:48 PM
FTFY :wink: :boink:

:laugh:
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/ThaiSatay_zps8560feef.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/GuayteowTalaydish_zps55e3bac6.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/ThaiPrawnLadnah_zpsa1b935d0.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/ThaiWholeFish_zps9d22bf1e.jpg

Do I look Skeeired?

:becky: :attention::hurt:

peeps
08-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Yup!!!!!! :wink:

Skaired of winning! :becky:

buccaneer
08-19-2014, 04:53 PM

buccaneer
08-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Buccs! Great story and the chix ain't bad either. I was in Vietnam and came back to Japan for R&R. I came back to the base (I might have had a few drinks) and I had hid a bottle of booze in the taxi. The marine gate guard opened the door, the booze fell out and he told me to pour it out. I told him (because I must have been sober) that it wasn't mine. He grabbed me by the shirt (bad idea) and pulled me out of the cab. I was on top of him when 3 other Marines started beating the crap out of me with billy clubs. Oh well, I learned one thing. Don't friggin' touch me with bad intent if I have been drinking. Thanks for the post! :)

Thanks Marty.
Maybe it a wild life thats developed my radar, but I always read you that way

Bonewagon
08-20-2014, 09:23 AM
It's a shame you've led such a sheltered life Buccs. :becky:

Great lookin' food and great story!

buccaneer
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
It's a shame you've led such a sheltered life Buccs. :becky:

Great lookin' food and great story!

I wish! :laugh:
If I get arthritis everywhere I broke something I will BE arthritis! :fear:

caseydog
08-20-2014, 06:28 PM
When I was a young man, :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::b lah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::bla h::blah:

Cambodian Style stuffed chicken wings.

FTFY :becky:

CD

caseydog
08-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Oh, the food looks very tasty. :thumb:

CD

cowgirl
08-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Dang Buccs! The things you'll do for a good meal... :tsk::becky:
Really glad you made it out of the situation in good shape.

Great story and great looking food. Thanks for the post!

bluetang
08-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Good tell and good food!

buccaneer
08-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Dang Buccs! The things you'll do for a good meal... :tsk::becky:
Really glad you made it out of the situation in good shape.

Great story and great looking food. Thanks for the post!

The stories I can't tell...:wink: