PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Michiganders, metal sources?

dodgeramsst2003
08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Guys and gals, I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm going to build a new smoker over the winter and am looking for a good metal supplier in southern michigan of course I will drive a ways to get it. Mainly what I'm looking for is scrap yards that sell by the pound. Anyone know of any? gonna need angle, square tube, etc. I know I'll probably have to buy new for some of it, but I want to avoid metal express if I can, because they are simply to expensive!!!! I know I could buy a new cooker cheaper, but I like the thrill of making something and showing it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

MilitantSquatter
08-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Chris,

Unless you buy scrap material or simply do not buy from someone who knows the prices of metals, your best bet is to but from a metals service center depending on your order and size qtys.. In some cases they may not sell direct if your order value is too small.

Here are some suggestions of top tier service centers that will usually take a decent sized order. Just do a Google search for website and phone #.

Yarde Metals
Copper & Brass Sales (they sell tons of steel & aluminum too...literally !!)
Castle Metals (the parent company of Metals Express which is the equivalent of their online division that may be pricier and cater to the small one time buy.
Admiral Metals

I know Castle & Copper & Brass Sales have distribution Centers in IL, so shipping would not be too bad. It never hurts to ask for a break on shipping to see if they can cut you a deal.

Or, you can call an Industrial Supply Company like MSC Industrial (my company) or our competitor, McMaster Carr,who does a good job with raw materials too. in 90% of the cases, we buy our metals from companies like the ones above but at a much lower cost that retail and we sell in short lengths which the service centers may not do depending on order size.

Good Luck !!!

bbqbull
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Padnoes Metal in Lansing Mi. Not sure of the exact spelling. Try metal recycling centers in Michigan on Google.com . I would do a google search on them, give them a call. There on the nnw side of Lansing

Mike

Neil
08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Alro Steel or Sturgis Iron & Metal. Alro has distribution centers all over the state and SIM is in Sturgis.

dodgeramsst2003
08-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys, I've been looking and calling places, only thing is a lot of places want a minimum order of say 500 pounds, wouldn't be bad except that 500 lbs has to be all of one thing!!!! building a pit for myself, I don't exactly have a need for that much of one thing, not to mention if I buy all that extra, thats gonna add up if I have to buy angle, tube, rod, plate etc. lansing and sturgis are about 2.5 hrs drive, but I'll hitch up the trailer and make a little day trip out of it if they have what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Chris