PDA

View Full Version : Sand vs. Water in a Weber Smokey Mountain

tarhog
08-15-2014, 01:59 PM
I recently was given a gently used 18" WSM. I have been using my OTG's for years with what I consider great success. I have used the water smoker twice for ribs. They turned out great and the heat was easy to control. No complaints. But Holy Cow what a mess it is to clean up. I seen somewhere to use sand instead of water. Has anybody tried this method? Sand is pretty easy to get down here and if it simplifies cleanup, I am all about it. Any input from the Brethren would be appreciated.

thesemicullen
08-15-2014, 02:05 PM
I haven't done sand - I almost always use water - but I do sometimes run it empty and just cover it with foil to make it easy to clean up. Most of the folks I know who use sand do the same - cover it with foil.

Sergeant Smoke
08-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Food tastes better and looks puuurdy when cooking with water. It also makes the cook easier. Aaron Franklin and Myron Mixon both use water....there's a reason.

Grimm5577
08-15-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't use water or sand, they are generally used more as a heat sync then anything else IMHO. I run mine empty with foil over the top. clean up is a breeze.

Harbormaster
08-15-2014, 02:56 PM
You can use sand. I've done it a few times. Make sure you cover the sand with foil or you'll never get it out with out a hammer.

Typically I use some crushed aluminum cans in the pan and covered with foil. Creates a little air gap so the rendered fat doesn't burn as bad. Thinking about trying some washed river rocks next time.

caseydog
08-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I use water, but I line my water bowl with foil before adding water. After cooking and cool down, I dump everything in the trash.

CD

THoey1963
08-15-2014, 03:19 PM
I have my water bowl lined with foil. Inside that, I have a terra cotta planter base that is also wrapped in foil. Inside that, I have one of those cheap aluminum turkey roaster pans. I rinse out the roaster pan after each cook and replace it every so many cooks, like once a month. I replace the foil on the water pan / planter base as needed.

Easy peasy...

SkinnyVinny
08-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Aaron Franklin and Myron Mixon both use water....there's a reason.

Can you expand on this? I thought Franklin uses a RF stick burner. I don't understand where the water goes.

K-Barbecue
08-15-2014, 03:41 PM
I've always used two large terra cotta saucers covered with foil.

shares
08-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Filled my water pan with cement years ago and never looked back. Cover with foil for sure.

Ozric
08-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Either works. You'll get a better smoke ring with water (moisture + NO + CO) than sand or nothing. Like the Sarge said, meat'll look "puuurdy when cooking with water."

Brian in Maine
08-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I've tried most methods, but always lined with foil. I found that sand gave off radiant heat, and dried out anything on the lower rack. I crumple up foil balls about the size of a ping pong ball, and cover with foil. The balls create an air gap that keeps food on the bottom rack from drying out.

Smoking Bruin
08-15-2014, 06:19 PM
When I first used my 18.5", I tried water and it was a mess! After a little research I tried a foiled water pan with foil balls inside. I haven't turned back since. Easy peazy. No mess with great results.

mobow
08-15-2014, 07:03 PM
I use sand covered with foil. Easy clean up and I find no difference in the cook or the final product. Keith

grantw
08-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Im with just the foiled pan, or water, if ya dont keep the water pan completly full to the top, by the end you can just scrape off the grease and toss it.

Sergeant Smoke
08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Can you expand on this? I thought Franklin uses a RF stick burner. I don't understand where the water goes.

He has a water pan right by the firebox on his pits (inside the pit on the far right side). They are huge on his custom pits behind his restaurant.

USMC
08-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I used water exclusively in my WSM for a good while. I tried just foiling the water pan a few months ago and I wish I would have tried it a lot sooner. I don't dread the cleanup at all now and I think my meat has a better look and taste now than before. The best thing to do is experiment with different things and find out what works best for you.