PDA

View Full Version : Brisket knowledge distilled

Bigmista
08-11-2014, 04:39 PM
I wrote this a few years ago and thought I would share it with folks who weren't around then.

1. It ain't nearly as hard as you think to cook a brisket.
2. The temperature you cook it at doesn't matter. I'v e done good briskets hot & fast and low & slow.
3. The cooker doesn't matter AS LONG AS THE BRISKET FITS! Gotta have air flow to keep your temps up. Trying to cook 4 big briskets in a UDS is more trouble than it's worth.
4. Sugar and beef rarely work well together. Beef should taste like beef. Pork and chicken are better at taking on the flavors that are added to them.
5. Everyone should cook a brisket with just salt & pepper at least once.
6. You can smoke a brisket part of the way one day and finish it the next day and still have it come out good.
7. Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.
8. Temperature is only a guideline. Learn to detect doneness by feel.
9. It's almost impossible to slice against the grain of a whole packer. Split the point and the flat before slicing. Slicing correctly is at least as important and doneness where tenderness is concerned.
10. Don't be bashful with your seasoning. I find that most seasoning mellows after hours in the smoke. If you start light, you end with nothing. BE BOLD!!

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path!

pjtexas1
08-11-2014, 04:45 PM
True words of wisdom!

landarc
08-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Gah! Now the BBQ Illuminati have to have you silenced, you just couldn't leave it alone Neil. I'm going to miss you. See, that is why Donnie speaks in code

aawa
08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
10 hours?

11 hours?

12 hours?

Is arby's brisket smoked longer than yours?

aawa
08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I wrote this a few years ago and thought I would share it with folks who weren't around then.

1. It ain't nearly as hard as you think to cook a brisket.
2. The temperature you cook it at doesn't matter. I'v e done good briskets hot & fast and low & slow.
3. The cooker doesn't matter AS LONG AS THE BRISKET FITS! Gotta have air flow to keep your temps up. Trying to cook 4 big briskets in a UDS is more trouble than it's worth.
4. Sugar and beef rarely work well together. Beef should taste like beef. Pork and chicken are better at taking on the flavors that are added to them.
5. Everyone should cook a brisket with just salt & pepper at least once.
6. You can smoke a brisket part of the way one day and finish it the next day and still have it come out good.
7. Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.
8. Temperature is only a guideline. Learn to detect doneness by feel.
9. It's almost impossible to slice against the grain of a whole packer. Split the point and the flat before slicing. Slicing correctly is at least as important and doneness where tenderness is concerned.
10. Don't be bashful with your seasoning. I find that most seasoning mellows after hours in the smoke. If you start light, you end with nothing. BE BOLD!!

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path!

Absolutely this! I have done steps 1-10. After all was said and done, I found what I liked and did it my own way.

bbqbull
08-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Big Mista.......Most of my home smoked briskets receive nothing for seasonings here. I love the taste of beef.

retired trucker
08-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Great post Neal! I find most people try to make something simple, hard and complicated. Season it simply, throw it on a good heat source and wait until it is done. Anything more is just fluff. Every time I try something new and off track, it usually ends up a disaster.

The biggest key is to learn when it is done properly.

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Bludawg
08-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Big Mista is who's he?? Never heard of him before. :razz:

jbounds286
08-11-2014, 10:55 PM
thanks commercial guy....i will def keep this in mind when i do my 1st brisket..hopefully within the next 2 months!

martyleach
08-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Always good to hear from you Neil. That was a good post even though I am not a fan of brisket. If I'm going for the long lean muscles I prefer chuck. I know that is not a popular opinion but oh well..... :)

jbounds286
08-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Always good to hear from you Neil. That was a good post even though I am not a fan of brisket. If I'm going for the long lean muscles I prefer chuck. I know that is not a popular opinion but oh well..... :)

i dont like most steaks...but i LOVE brisket lol

cbolt72
08-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Nice post, like how you're keeping it simple. What type of wood are you using?

Sergeant Smoke
08-12-2014, 06:38 AM
thanks commercial guy....i will def keep this in mind when i do my 1st brisket..hopefully within the next 2 months!
Let me get this straight...you claim you're a native Texan, yet you have never cooked a brisket and you root for OU:boxing:?...and on top of that you live in Georgia?

You have officially blown my mind:wacko:!! :mrgreen:

oldbill
08-12-2014, 08:21 AM
There's only two things on the list that I would take issue with.

1.) The bark IS the flavor of the brisket (nothing overrated about it) and if the meat is cooked right there won't be a lot of crumbling when it is sliced.
2.) Again, if a brisket is cooked properly it won't matter too much in what direction it's sliced. When done right it's all "meat jello" wether it's sliced with the grain, against the grain, upside down or diagonally.

Butcher paper is the cure for both problems. The bark is firm but not overly dry and the paper retains enough moisture in the meat that it will require very few teeth to eat it let alone a very sharp knife to cut it in any particular direction.:wink:

oldbill
08-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Let me get this straight...you claim you're a native Texan, yet you have never cooked as brisket and you root for OU:boxing:?...and on top of that you live in Georgia?

You have officially blown my mind:wacko:!! :mrgreen: Yes he is the proverbial prodigal son but he is showing some signs of coming around. He recently put in an order for a stick burner and he's about to cook his first brisket, so he's definitely making progress!
Now as for the OU thing, we may need to kidnap him and deprogram him or something! LOL!:-P

Brew n Que
08-12-2014, 09:20 AM

1.) The bark IS the flavor of the brisket (nothing overrated about it) and if the meat is cooked right there won't be a lot of crumbling when it is sliced.
2.) Again, if a brisket is cooked properly it won't matter too much in what direction it's sliced. When done right it's all "meat jello" wether it's sliced with the grain, against the grain, upside down or diagonally.

Butcher paper is the cure for both problems. The bark is firm but not overly dry and the paper retains enough moisture in the meat that it will require very few teeth to eat it let alone a very sharp knife to cut it in any particular direction.:wink:

I would have to agree with you on the bark. I love the flavor and texture a jet black bark gives to the meat. And butcher paper makes it almost sticky like meat candy. I can't stand "jerky" bark though.

I do disagree with both yours and the OPs thoughts on slicing. I have had very nicely rendered point slices that were cut with the grain, and while they tasted good, they definitely were not super tender and they were a bit stringy. But, I don't see the need for separting the flat and point. I just cut flat slices until I start to hit the point, then rotate the brisket 90 degrees, and cut point slices. The point slices come out with a sliver of flat on the bottom, which I think helps balance out the fattiness of the point. Here is a simple cutting diagram I made.
http://i.imgur.com/JDVwVx5l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/joO3lGSl.jpg

I know it's all personal preference. This is what I have found to work best for me. I think this is the most important part:

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path

DaveAlvarado
08-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Only thing I'd add--resting is important. Briskets do really well with a couple hour rest in a cooler or cambro.

darkoozy
08-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Totally agree with you here....:thumb:

Bigmista
08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Make sure you all read the last line...

Smoking Westy
08-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Lot of words in this thread, not near enough pictures of beef flesh...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/mjweste/Grilling/087322ed727fb4d19203dcc7b4a26191_zps54cf3367.jpg (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/mjweste/media/Grilling/087322ed727fb4d19203dcc7b4a26191_zps54cf3367.jpg.h tml)

NickTheGreat
08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah I disagree about the bark thing. Bark is farking delicious!

Everything else . . . right on! :grin:

pjtexas1
08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Let me get this straight...you claim you're a native Texan, yet you have never cooked a brisket and you root for OU:boxing:?...and on top of that you live in Georgia?

That's why we kicked him out. :heh: I bet his stick burner flows left to right.:doh:

Swine Spectator
08-12-2014, 01:42 PM
:heh: I bet his stick burner flows left to right.:doh:

PJ - You owe me a bottle of Windex. I just spit Coke all over my monitor.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pjtexas1
08-12-2014, 02:55 PM
PJ - You owe me a bottle of Windex. I just spit Coke all over my monitor.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's odd...normally I just amuse myself.:clap2:

darkoozy
08-12-2014, 03:33 PM
That's why we kicked him out. :heh: I bet his stick burner flows left to right.:doh:

Hilarious! Awesome!

jbounds286
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM

grew up in Fort Worth, went to college at OU, graduated in 2008, got a job...after 2 years moved to mississippi, and the last 2 years ive lived outside of Atlanta. Never done any kind of smoking, just basic grilling. Only last month or so i built my first smoker...the Mini wsm but i should have my Shirley Fabrication offset the end of September. So far ive done different kinds of burgers, ribs, a boston butt, and a chuckie. Im waiting for the stick burner to do the brisket!:mrgreen:

jbounds286
08-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I bet his stick burner flows left to right.:doh:

lol this one i dont get ????

landarc
08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
I would have to agree with you on the bark. I love the flavor and texture a jet black bark gives to the meat. And butcher paper makes it almost sticky like meat candy. I can't stand "jerky" bark though.

I do disagree with both yours and the OPs thoughts on slicing. I have had very nicely rendered point slices that were cut with the grain, and while they tasted good, they definitely were not super tender and they were a bit stringy. But, I don't see the need for separting the flat and point. I just cut flat slices until I start to hit the point, then rotate the brisket 90 degrees, and cut point slices. The point slices come out with a sliver of flat on the bottom, which I think helps balance out the fattiness of the point. Here is a simple cutting diagram I made.
http://i.imgur.com/JDVwVx5l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/joO3lGSl.jpg

I know it's all personal preference. This is what I have found to work best for me. I think this is the most important part:
Wooo! I am not the only person in the world who slices a brisket like this. This is how I was taught to slice a brisket and it gives the best slices. IMO.

pjtexas1
08-12-2014, 08:16 PM
lol this one i dont get ????

It's an old joke that stick burners only flow right to left in Texas. You take all the fun out of messing with you if you don't know what I am talking about.:wacko:

pjtexas1
08-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Wooo! I am not the only person in the world who slices a brisket like this. This is how I was taught to slice a brisket and it gives the best slices. IMO.

I too was taught to slice to the point then rotate 90 degrees and keep slicing. Is this the first time someone has mentioned that here? I cannot remember reading it.

jbounds286
08-12-2014, 08:32 PM
It's an old joke that stick burners only flow right to left in Texas. You take all the fun out of messing with you if you don't know what I am talking about.:wacko:

lol well im new to all of this smoking business.....my bad

Tonybel
08-13-2014, 01:15 AM
Thank you for posting.

NickTheGreat
08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
While we're talking brisket . . . what would be wrong with separating the point and flat before smoking? I mean, it should cook faster and since they each cook differently you could pull one first.

I think I did this on my last brisket and it seemed to be fine

darkoozy
08-13-2014, 04:46 PM
While we're talking brisket . . . what would be wrong with separating the point and flat before smoking? I mean, it should cook faster and since they each cook differently you could pull one first.

I think I did this on my last brisket and it seemed to be fine

That technique is fine, but consider this...

When you cook the whole packer, the fattier point helps protect and insulate the flat and keep it moist during the cook. The two muscles compliment each other during the cook. I cook mostly prime and choice and the flat nearest the point comes out so moist its nuts...

pjtexas1
08-13-2014, 09:10 PM

When you cook the whole packer, the fattier point helps protect and insulate the flat and keep it moist during the cook. The two muscles compliment each other during the cook. I cook mostly prime and choice and the flat nearest the point comes out so moist its nuts...

Trust this. Texans know their brisket.

NickTheGreat
08-14-2014, 08:42 AM

That is true. I was expecting it to turn out much drier than normal, but it wasn't.

I was just asking, because if the flat has 6 sides only 1 side is actually touching the point.

I'll probably keep doing them together, but I was just curious if anybody has ever had. :thumb:

DanB
08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
How about seperating the point from the flat and place the point on top of the flap for cooking? Sounds like the best of both worlds for slicing.
DanB

darkoozy
08-14-2014, 03:40 PM
How about seperating the point from the flat and place the point on top of the flap for cooking? Sounds like the best of both worlds for slicing.
DanB

Cant hurt I guess...not entirely the same, but close enough...

But, if you look at a cross section of a full packer and depending on size, almost 1/3 of the flat is already underneath the point.

oldbill
08-14-2014, 03:48 PM
That is true. I was expecting it to turn out much drier than normal, but it wasn't.

I was just asking, because if the flat has 6 sides only 1 side is actually touching the point.

I'll probably keep doing them together, but I was just curious if anybody has ever had. :thumb:The one real advantage to separating the point from the flat (apart from speeding up the cooking time) is that you get more bark on both parts. I've known some guys that did this in competitions in order to get more flavor on the meat as well as a smoke ring on each part.
I like to cook the whole packer though, as darkoozy stated the point does help keep the flat moist.:-D