PDA

View Full Version : Knife recommendation?

Kirk
08-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a 12" Forschner granton edge slicer for briskets and a cimitar for ribs. Any recommendations as to whether I should go with the 10 or 12" cimitar (or any other knives particularly suited for ribs)?

docdfg
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Rachael Ray appears to love those knives with the scallops above the edge. I'm not sure what to make of that observation so I'll just mention it as evidence to be evaluated as you see fit.

As for whether Forschner steel and heat treatment is better or worse than that of any other well known brand; I have to plead that virtually all of the higher end stainless knives are made from the same or very similar steels and the heat treatment is a standard thing for these steels. By that I mean that they all 'do the steel thing' equally well. Let your choice be made on variables other that "good steel/bad steel."

The choice of the length of a knife, as well as the size and shape of the handle is a personal thing. I urge you to go to a store somewhere and hold, pretend you are cutting -- just play with the knife before you buy it. Let your decision be made on the basis of the impressions you take away from this store visit, not on how well someone else likes the knife nor on any hoopla presented by knife purveyors.

The following is an opinion: I am not a fan of long knives, either in the kitchen or in the hunting camp. If I'm doing a lot of cutting or slicing I find the leverage of the longer blades makes my wrist tired in a hurry.

cmcadams
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
I agree with docdfg... go try some knives. I do differ in that I love long knives... I prefer 10-12" chef's knives, and use a 9" granton slicer for things like brisket. The move up I'd like to make is a 12 1/2" sushi knife for brisket instead... maybe someday!

we'll smoke u
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I Think Doc Said It Best. Go Try And Get The Feel Of The Knife.
I Never Paid Attention To How They Feel In My Hand Until I Wanted To Buy A Good Knife. I Like Cmcadams Perfer A Longer Knive.
Hey Doc Thanks For Shareing Your Knowledge About Knives.
I Hope I Can Chew On Your Ear Down The Road When I Go To Buy Another Knife.
Long Live The Brethren Bother Hood

Q_Egg
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
.... ribs present a unique problem in that crunching into a bone can damage some very hard, fragile blades. The softer european steel is probably a better choice, although I just added a chinese style cleaver specifically for ribs.

When I learn to to cut ribs in the right places (like most Brethren here) then I can graduate to something special. The brisket slicing knife is a different story and a fine sushi knife is definitely a thing of beauty.

cmcadams
08-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I tried using an electric knife on ribs... worked too well, and went right through the bone. The first slab couldn't be used for comp turn ins at all!. I like using a slicer for that, now.

Betterman
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I handnt' considered a chineese cleaver for ribs. seems like that would be a great option. thanks Q Egg

qman
08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
I handnt' considered a chineese cleaver for ribs. seems like that would be a great option. thanks Q Egg

I actually like the Japanese style cleaver better than the Chinese one. They are generally made with a thicker, heftier blade, slightly narrower blade, and a tang that goes all the way through the handle, unlike most chinese cleavers. I have a couple of Joyce Chen models that I have used for years.

Bill-Chicago
08-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Kirk

Do you have one of those Sur La Table (sp) anywhere near you?

They have classes run by certified chefs (my friend is one and does this) and one of the classes is on knife skills. 2 benefits: learn proper knife techniques and use different styles of knives, so you can get a feel for what you like. Marshall Fields/Macy's has these too.

Might be worth investment (Think it was like $60 for 2+ hour class)

fivelombardis
08-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a 12" Forschner granton edge slicer for briskets and a cimitar for ribs. Any recommendations as to whether I should go with the 10 or 12" cimitar (or any other knives particularly suited for ribs)?

yes...get a sharp one.

Kirk
08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
My biggest problem has been that I don't know of any place around here that sells what we're talking about, so it's kinda hard for me to hold one to make my decision. I just took a look in the phone book and it appears that there's a couple of restaurant supply places that might be worth checking out though...

qman
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
My biggest problem has been that I don't know of any place around here that sells what we're talking about, so it's kinda hard for me to hold one to make my decision. I just took a look in the phone book and it appears that there's a couple of restaurant supply places that might be worth checking out though...

What are you, about 40 miles from Philly? Sounds like a weekend road trip to Willams Sanoma or BBaB, or Linens and things.

Kirk
08-04-2006, 09:02 PM
We have all 3 of those stores within 2 miles of my house but the closest thing they have is 10" chef's knives from a couple of manufacturers.
It just dawned on me to ask my butcher where he gets his knives. Sounds like an excuse to pick up a packer for this weekend, don't it? :grin:

qman
08-04-2006, 09:21 PM
We have all 3 of those stores within 2 miles of my house but the closest thing they have is 10" chef's knives from a couple of manufacturers.
It just dawned on me to ask my butcher where he gets his knives. Sounds like an excuse to pick up a packer for this weekend, don't it? :grin:

Kirk, yes, indeed. go for it. I am amazed that Williams-Sanoma does not have a better selection of knives. Maybe they have a store in metro Philly that does. They sure do here in Mouse-town.

Neil
08-05-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't know if my cleaver is Japanese or Chinese. I inherrited it from my mother-in-law and I love it. Very heavy and sharp, does a great job on ribs.

voodoobbqIL
08-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I have tried knives from all over the world, every time I would leave the country I came back with another new piece of steel from far off lands. I was happy with the actual German Wustoff's....until something new came along. Kershaw is importing knives from Japan made by KAI. KAI is one of the top sushi knife blade producers over there. (some knives go for $5000 USD) I bought the 8" chef's knife to try it out and have given every other chef knife I own away. The name in the US is Shun by Kershaw, awesome. I do use a slicer for brisket sometimes but for the most part I use my boning knife for trimming and my Shun chef for everything else. The best knife is the one that feels good in your hand. If you have somewhere like a Sur La Table around you it is worth going there because you can actually use the knives before your drop your cash on them...I like that.

Q_Egg
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
.... this is a very good source to access decent quality Japanese knives and still have a solid USA company to fall back on. They will also sharpen your Shun knives for no charge (other than shipping ... Oregon). It's easy to use their toll free number to get help.
http:/www.kershawknives.com 1-800-325-2891

TexasGuppie
08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't know if my cleaver is Japanese or Chinese. I inherrited it from my mother-in-law...

Is your mother-in-law Japanese or Chinese? This cannot be that difficult to figure out! :redface:

Q_Egg
08-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Neil ....
Japanese typically do two styles thinner for vegetables and thicker/heavier for meat ... but the edge is thinner, sharper, more fragile than most Chinese_ Chinese cleavers. I don't see a problem with any of them unless the user gets very careless and whacks away at bone with the thinner Japanese style.

I have both an older, Henckels, thick, heavy cleaver (to 'whack' away with) and a newer Joyce Chen Japanese style. For chopping pork shoulder/butt or brisket, the combination is great.

cmcadams
08-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I have tried knives from all over the world, every time I would leave the country I came back with another new piece of steel from far off lands. I was happy with the actual German Wustoff's....until something new came along. Kershaw is importing knives from Japan made by KAI. KAI is one of the top sushi knife blade producers over there. (some knives go for $5000 USD) I bought the 8" chef's knife to try it out and have given every other chef knife I own away. The name in the US is Shun by Kershaw, awesome. I do use a slicer for brisket sometimes but for the most part I use my boning knife for trimming and my Shun chef for everything else. The best knife is the one that feels good in your hand. If you have somewhere like a Sur La Table around you it is worth going there because you can actually use the knives before your drop your cash on them...I like that.
I have a killer knife bag from Kershaw, too... With good stuff inside... Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, tongs and all my Shuns locked in those plastic knife guards. Great knives, I agree... I watch them closely at comps to make sure they stay put! :)

I botched up the edge on my Santoku cutting up lobsters, and they replaced it immediately, no questions asked. Basically, you can do about anything you want with these knives, and they'll take care of them if needed.

PimpSmoke
08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I have used Kershaw knives for years. Stuck pretty much to Ken Onions designs and I can say they are a great company to do business with. And the quality of the product is top notch.

voodoobbqIL
08-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I am getting ready to buy another Shun form the Alton's Angles line. nice upswept handles...will report more upon arrival

offa1a
08-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I have a set of Berghoffs that my wife got at a cooking supply show she went to for work. I switch back and forth as to which size I like best including my cleaver

jimymc
08-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Be careful if you buy a sushi knife. There are right hand and left hand versions. They are only sharpened on one side. If you are right handed make sure that your knife is sharpened on the right side as you hold it.

cmcadams
08-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Be careful if you buy a sushi knife. There are right hand and left hand versions. They are only sharpened on one side. If you are right handed make sure that your knife is sharpened on the right side as you hold it.

with my luck, it would be on the wrong side instead of the right side, and I'd put my thumb down on top of it!

(sorry, just being dumb this morning)

NorthernQ
08-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Restaurant supply houses are my choice. I use a serated edge Henkels 14" with a plastic handle for most slicing. At 20 bucks I can't go far wrong with that one.

cmcadams
08-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I've been developing a bit as a cook over the last few years, and part of that has been to become more honest with myself about my cooking. Not to get into a long bit about all that means, one of the parts of cooking is equipment.

Could I get by with "lesser" equipment? We all set our own boundaries on what's important. If I didn't, I've have bankrupted myself getting nothing but Mauviel 2.5mm, stainless lined copper pots and pans. So there's a boundary... Lesser pots are ok due to a price/performance ratio I have in my own mind.

Knives are the same way. Could I get by with what, to me, may be a lesser quality knife? Sure, butchers use what I would almost call 'junk' knives all the time. If I pay 1/4 the price and get 1/2 the use out of it, I'm still paying half the price overall for the cheaper knife. But there's a side of me that just loves the feel of the 'better' knives. And, when I'm being honest with myself, a lot of why I enjoy cooking is the process I go through to prepare and cook, not just to eat. So, TO ME, things like my knives are worth a bit more to do more than just get a knife I can cut with. Other things I could care less about... though I'm pretty much a snob when it comes to most equipment in my kitchen, I guess. :)

So why such a long, boring post most of you just skipped over? I'd recommend just deciding what's important to you in a knife, trying out what you can at a Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table, and going with that... Even saving up if you need to, and getting a real el cheapo in the interim.

(I'm about to hit the 'Post Quick Reply' button at the bottom, wondering if it will work for a not-quick reply!)

Q_Egg
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
.... here's a Quick Reply button attempt.

My wife winced and showed minimal interest as I did my usual 'beat-it-to-death' search and analysis for some new knives ..... adding to a very complete set of Henckels 5-Stars. I now have five (5) new knives, including a Kershaw Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife, Tadafusa Usuba, Tadafusa Santoku, Kasumi V-Gold Paring, and Joyce Chen Cleaver.

Want to guess which knives my wife reaches for morning, noon and night ?? There is a difference .... but like Curt said "Could I get by with what, to me, may be a lesser quality knife? Sure, ..."

..... I love that line from Star Wars DVD .... "..there's always a bigger fish"

cmcadams
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Ok, which is your favorite? I have tried the Ken Onion Shun... Talking to the national sales rep, this is a huge seller, even though it's not cheap. But I just don't care for it. He said it's a mixed bag, but he thinks people that hold their knives by the blade don't like the KO as much as those that hold it more by the handle. I know it just felt odd in my hand, as the bolster seemed to get in the way.

Q_Egg
08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I must admit, I do my best work with a Santoku ... love the Tadafusa, but the Henckels is good as well ... just a very different feel between them. The Usuba is a challenge and I cannot yet cut vegetables as finely as with Santoku.
Summer fruit time and the Kasumi 3" paring knife is so great with berries, grapes, peaches, nectarines.
Ken Onion Chef's knife is an 'acquired taste' with the issues you mention. I like the weight and balance and also the blade shape .... but it takes time to get used to the rocking motion especially when held forward on the blade. I spoke with Kershaw more than once and almost exchanged it for a Deba. If I was still in the Bay area ... with the ready supply of whole fresh fish, I would choose the Deba in a heartbeat. Shun's Deba is more like a traditional Japanese Mioroshi so I kept the K.O.

I have 2 Henckels Slicers which do a good job, but really hope to someday own a fine sushi blade ..... so much for Quick Replies!

bbqjoe
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I must say that I have never tried a sushi knife ( But I have tried massive quantities of sushi)
I know from personal experience that some of the Japanese wood working saws are excellent.

But I think there aren't a whole lot of variables.
There is good steel, and there is bad.
Period.
If the steel isn't worth a darn, who cares how much you pay for it.
There is the shape, Very important as to what the job is your using it for.
And then there is the handle, which is also highly important.
How a knife feels or handles determines many things, especially what is the struggle factor, and how easy is it to handle.

Personally if I was going to spend $500+ for a knife, that sucker better sharpen itself, clean itself and come with an absolute lifetime guarantee of replacement no matter what. Even if I use it to hack concrete with, or throw it off a bridge.

I think you are paying for a name.

I have used knives from some of those restaurant services. They are fine.
Some of the knives from restaurant supply houses are equally as good.

But I can't see spending a fortune for a knife, and I have one in my hand almost all day long. I just don't see the need.

Q_Egg
08-07-2006, 07:36 PM
...$500. is entry level. There is a hierarchy of sushi (and other type) restaurants in Japan .... which at the very top serve only one or two sets of guest each night. Those chefs carry their own set of knives (costing in the thousands US) and would NEVER allow another person to use them. You and I may not notice the difference, but they do, and they are paid very well for their skill and expertise.

I would never argue with your judgement that we do not see the value in that high level of expenditure or in the potential result. On the other hand, I have great respect for their astounding attention to detail and tradition.

Sharpening those knives is a respected specialty unto itself. $800. to $1000. will get us the required parts and pieces. The needed skills require years.

When I'm in THEIR environment .... I am most impressed. When I return to 'today's world', at home, it is almost surreal.