PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Chicken Marinade

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Been just marinating chicken in Italian Dressing but we're going to try a new finishing sauce this weekend and thought maybe the same ol' marinate and rub would "clash" with the new sauce. The sauce is Goldwater's Grand Canyon Cranberry Grill Sauce with Chipotle. (www.goldwaters.com (http://www.goldwaters.com))

My thought was to find a cranberry salad dressing to use but found only a fat free version that really looked like syrup and had no oils so marinating wouldn't work. Looked online and found the following recipe:

Cranberry Vinaigrette

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons white sugar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper

Puree cranberries in processor until smooth. Add vinegar, sugar and salt and process until well blended. With processor running, gradually add oil and process until well blended. Transfer to medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Thought I'd use canned cranberry jelly instead. I'm looking for some of you great chefs to tell me if marinating chicken overnight in something like this would benefit it or should I just brine it instead (salt, sugar, garlic, thyme, tarragon) like I tried last weekend?

Also, I've been using a rub on the chicken that contains MAINLY sage, oregano, thyme and garlic. How 'bout clashing with flavors there?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've never used a cranberry grilling sauce before.

Spydermike72
08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Jeff,

This topic has me intrested. I have been kicking around the idea of using cranberries as well. I just have not gotten around to it. I will watch this one closely, and if I ever get around to it, I will post my results as well.

Doorbusters
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I tried cranberry once, and only once. The finished product tasted very bitter. Edible but bitter. Jeff, cook up you mix, and put it in a pot on the stove for 2 hours on low-med heat. The sugars go away and leave a weird taste. Just my experience.

Q_Egg
08-02-2006, 04:03 PM
....... we have only had access to Fischer & Wieser "The Original Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce" (40 oz bottle) from Costco .... must buy (2).

We like it a lot, but it kinda overpowers most anything it's used on. .. tried ribs, brisket, pulled pork, turkey breast, and your post makes me want to give chicken a go. Only the (2) of us, so I may have to put the 2nd bottle in my will. :lol:

I'm as curious as you about the sage rub, etc. Seems like it should be OK given traditional turkey, (sage) dressing, cranberries, etc. Hope you post some afterthoughts.

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I tried cranberry once, and only once. The finished product tasted very bitter. Edible but bitter. Jeff, cook up you mix, and put it in a pot on the stove for 2 hours on low-med heat. The sugars go away and leave a weird taste. Just my experience.

Dustin, the sauce itself has a great flavor. Maybe I'm better off just using a regular poultry brine rather than getting too cute with it then rub with the normal stuff (Q Egg's thoughts made sense - turkey/cranberries) and finish it up on the grill with this sauce. Don't have enough of it to give it a trial run beforehand. Overnight shipping from Arizona will cost me a goldmine! :eek:

brdbbq
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
....... we have only had access to Fischer & Wieser "The Original Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce" (40 oz bottle) from Costco .... must buy (2).

We like it a lot, but it kinda overpowers most anything it's used on. .. tried ribs, brisket, pulled pork, turkey breast, and your post makes me want to give chicken a go. Only the (2) of us, so I may have to put the 2nd bottle in my will. :lol:

I'm as curious as you about the sage rub, etc. Seems like it should be OK given traditional turkey, (sage) dressing, cranberries, etc. Hope you post some afterthoughts.

Roasted Rasberry Chipotle good chit on grilled pork chops not over powering in anyway.

BOT We use to get a Chiken roast stuffed with Cranberry dressing from Market Day it was knock your dick in the dirt good stuff.

Paola Greg
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Just my personal opinion Jeff, but home is the place I would practice a really new idea with a rub, sauce, marinade or whatever, not at a contest. Sure, you might hit a home run, but you could also stike out.

Doorbusters
08-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Jeff, IMO, not a marinade, been there done that. I have a cranberry chipotle sauce I use as a finisher that is fantastic. The marinade does something funny as it heats up (chemistry mod). It smelled and seemed like the greatest thing ever. Then I tasted it. NOPE!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Just my personal opinion Jeff, but home is the place I would practice a really new idea with a rub, sauce, marinade or whatever, not at a contest. Sure, you might hit a home run, but you could also stike out.

Greg, normally, I'd agree with you but this week, being tired and ready for a break til Blue Springs, I have an "I don't care" attitude and if I strike out, see above!! :wink: :lol: I just feel like shakin' some things up a bit!

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Jeff, IMO, not a marinade, been there done that. I have a cranberry chipotle sauce I use as a finisher that is fantastic. The marinade does something funny as it heats up (chemistry mod). It smelled and seemed like the greatest thing ever. Then I tasted it. NOPE!!!!

Dustin, what do you use before cooking with that cranberry/chipotle finishing sauce (if you can share)? Brine? Rub style?

Doorbusters
08-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Jeff must have his smoker paid for!!!!!

Lottery mod!!

Doorbusters
08-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Mr. Jeff,

(have had a few) I use a brine, heavy with salt, brown suger. Rosemary, thyme, sage, pepper, lemon from concentrate, apple wedges off my tree, 8-10 cloves and garlic. Bring to a boil, then cool, put in ziplok with chicken, for as long as possible. Then smoke, depending on what you are doing, then finish on grill for 5-8 minutes with the cranberry chipotle sauce. Good chit man!! Good on pork too!!!

scottyd
08-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I did something close to this last christmas at my bosses house on a turkey I smoked for his family. Nice and juicy good flavor.

cmcadams
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Jeff, do some with a standard sweet marinade and some with cranberry, take pictures, and let us know how it turns out!

HoDeDo
08-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Greg, normally, I'd agree with you but this week, being tired and ready for a break til Blue Springs, I have an "I don't care" attitude and if I strike out, see above!! :wink: :lol: I just feel like shakin' some things up a bit!

You need to do that more often :twisted:

PimpSmoke
08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
An outsiders viewpoint on the crans

They are very acidic, like citrus and we all know citrus can cook chickie and fish if left in it too long.

I would be thinking, "what can I put in to neutralize the PH a little bit" then go from there.

Sweet usually balances out sour but thats just flavor, not acid content (PH)

JMHO FWIW

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Good point, Pimp! Should not marinate in it for long then IF I decide to. I like Dustin's brine though.