PDA

View Full Version : UDS build 2 ... Primer or no primer

Teepah
07-28-2014, 07:03 AM
We inited my sister in law and her family over for a bbq. My brother in law was checking out my USD and was in awe that something so simple made good food. I made brisket and boston butt. My sister in law asked me to build one for him as a surprise. They have been very helpful to us over the years so I agreed.

Will priming the barrel help hold the paint or will the heat damage the paint job ?

I want the UDS to turn out nice but not as nice as mine :oops:

Sorry for the long post for such a simple question but I rarely post but I am on this site daily reading and expanding my BBQ knowledge. This place is awesome.

Teepah

mikemci
07-28-2014, 07:12 AM
I used a self etching primer in rattle can from Lowes and it has held up great!

pbj
07-28-2014, 07:12 AM
The high heat paint I used said don't use primer. I did use primer on the rusty areas after sanding them. Can't really tell the difference in quality on the primed areas from the non-primed areas.

AussieMatt
07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
I also used BBQ paint and it said not to use a primer, so far, it's holding up just fine.

nwahogs
07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
I used engine primer and paint. Worked and looked great. Even survived forgetting to put on the lid and a 600+ degree burn for 30+ minutes :oops:

Teepah
07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks brothers for your input

TexasRT
07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
I've used Rustoleum High Heat on two drums over the original paint after scuffing it.
No problems at all.

bstomper
07-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I used engine primer and paint. Worked and looked great. Even survived forgetting to put on the lid and a 600+ degree burn for 30+ minutes :oops:

Good to know that the UDS can get up to those temps do cooking pizza. Have to test mine out after my cook today to see what it can do.

CambuiAl
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
My drum with no primer blistered at 600F doing pizza recently - not sure why, but I need to strip it again and re-paint now. This was high-heat spray paint, but not sure of the make.

Thefiveo
07-28-2014, 03:05 PM
I just built my first UDS. For what's its worth, I primered the drum before painting with hi temp BBQ paint and was pretty happy with the results. The barrel already had a good surface from sandblasting so that helped. Here's the link to my results.

http:// http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194338

nwahogs
07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Good to know that the UDS can get up to those temps do cooking pizza. Have to test mine out after my cook today to see what it can do.

Scared the crap out of me, but no damage. I shot the side of the drum with infrared thermometer and it wasn't anywhere near that hot.