PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips and FULL recipes for Prime Rib Roast

Sizzler1322
07-28-2014, 01:01 AM
My next project I got going is to do a Prime Rib Roast. I think I will be using the rub from Phil, my brother sent me a link. I want it with the bone of course. If you can share, tips, idea and recipes please post here. Thank you.

Demosthenes9
07-28-2014, 01:12 AM
My next project I got going is to do a Prime Rib Roast. I think I will be using the rub from Phil, my brother sent me a link. I want it with the bone of course. If you can share, tips, idea and recipes please post here. Thank you.

Smoke with hickory @ 225 til the PR reaches about 127ish. Remove from smoker, tent with foil and let rest for 20-30 mins. This ends up being right between rare and mid-rare. IF you like it cooked a bit more, adjust finish temp as necessary

If you like a nice crispy crust, go with a reverse sear. Pull the PR about 10 degrees sooner and roll it around on a nice hot grill to get the crust. Use a temp probe to make sure that you don't exceed your target temp.

BTW, I've done them bone in, bones separated and tied back on and with the bones removed and I actually prefer the latter. Bones interfere with smoke penetration on the bottom of the roast as well as bark formation and overall seasoning.

As for recipe, I rub the loin down with olive oil, then give it a dousing of Worcesteshire (thick or thin). Coat liberally with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. Then finish with some granulated garlic.

Gore
07-28-2014, 01:21 AM
There is some information here that I find helpful:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

buccaneer
07-28-2014, 01:59 AM
That's a shameless show of self promotion Gore.
I'm proud of you! :thumb:

Ron_L
07-28-2014, 08:22 AM
I also like prime rib cooked at 225-ish until 125- 130 internal. I've been skipping the sear lately and the results have been great!

oldbill
07-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Prime rib is one cut that I cook a little hotter than others. I heat the pit to about 300 and cook to 130 IT. The higher temp gives me a nice crispy, flavorful bark without the need for searing (which also preserves the seasoning) and the IT carries over to about 135 as the roast rests.:-D