PDA

View Full Version : Pickles, Corn, Lamb, and London Broil

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I am trying some various pickling methods and the type I like the most are the deli style half sours. These are pickles that are mildly fermented and must be refrigerated.

Also today I am making roasted leg of lamb (boneless) and london broil. For the lamb, it was marinated in italian dressing, salt, pepper, rosemary (dried), garlic, and balsamic vinegar. It is on the grill using indirect at 300 degrees then seared for a couple minutes at the end to finish.

The london broil is a cut from the top round about an inch thick. I normally like mine a bit thicker than this but this is what the store had. The marinade for this is italian dressing, Sriracha sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. This will also go on the grill indirect heat then seared a couple minutes per side to finish.

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Finished product

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Serious finished product. It is really good.

buccaneer
07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice tucker, Mike!

I'd like to learn about these sour style pickles?:pray:

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
I am still experimenting with the mix, My first batch was 5 pints of water and one table spoon of pickling salt and about 8-10 cloves of garlic smashed. The latest batch I upped the salt. You make the brine (no heat just a mixture) and poor over the cucumbers.

If you use a salt besides pickling, which is very fine, you may need to boil then cool to get them to dissolve. Do not use table salt as it contains chemicals that may alter the color and texture of your pickles.

Other flavors such as dill (which I normally add as I have it growing outside), peppers, peppercorn, etc is up to you.

For those who want to start pickling, it is best to go by weight of salt, cause the difference between pickling, kosher, and sea salt is mainly size. Sea salt can have extra minerals which can be good or bad.

buccaneer
07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
What's the formula of weight/salt to water?

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 06:28 PM
That is the question. You look and get a variety of responses. My first batch was okay. I liked them but again just a bit more salt was needed. I need a week or two with this batch then I can do a weight/ratio analysis.

mike-cleveland
07-27-2014, 06:33 PM
oh, this is important, As long as you follow a recipe, you can make more brine than what you need. In fact I suggest it as it is cheap and sometimes the pickles don't want to stay submerged.