PDA

View Full Version : pellet poopers

captndan
07-27-2014, 08:17 AM
I've cruised the other sites without much success. I need a recommendation for an affordable pellet smoker. Thanks

The_Kapn
07-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Dan,
What is an affordable price for you?
Helps to make recommendations if we know.
Also, how do you want to use it---pure smoking or smoking + grilling?

In pellet machines, there is a wide variety in price ranges and you normally get what you are wiling to pay for.

TIM

Ron_L
07-27-2014, 08:23 AM
What is your budget and are primarily looking to grill or smoke?

The Traeger pellet are probably the most affordable. They are pretty good but do a better job smoking than grilling. Add GrillGrates will help with grilling.

Louisiana Cookers and Green Mountain are also good cookers but are higher priced than the Traeger line.

Moving up in price look at Yoder, Memphis and Rec Tec. I haver a Memphis Pro and love it, but if I were buying today I would buy a Yoder.

lantern
07-27-2014, 08:27 AM
What's your budget?

EDIT: Dangit...too slow on the response.:tsk:

Well, the F1 race is on...couldn't help it.

Fat Freddy
07-27-2014, 08:41 AM
What is your budget and are primarily looking to grill or smoke?

The Traeger pellet are probably the most affordable. They are pretty good but do a better job smoking than grilling. Add GrillGrates will help with grilling.

Louisiana Cookers and Green Mountain are also good cookers but are higher priced than the Traeger line.

According to my dealer, Starting August 1st. The price will be dropping $160 on a GMG and will become fancier with the ability to work from your smart Phone.

captndan
07-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Guess I should have been more specific in the beginning. I would like to keep it under 500 bucks. I would only be smoking things like butts,ribs, brisket. I have other stuff for grilling and baking. The Kamado is great but not as hands off as a pooper. Thanks

Ron_L
07-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Right now the only ones I know of in that range are the smaller Traegers. If the price drop on Green Mountain mentioned above happens that might put a GMG in that range.

Also, our neighbor at a competition this weekend had a Pit Boss pellet smoker/grill and a Traeger. They looked identical to me, so Pit Boss may be a rebranded Traeger. He bought his at Menards and it looks like it is $499. He was very happy with it.

http://www.pitboss-grills.com/

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2246381-c-10141.htm

unixadm
07-27-2014, 10:06 AM
If you want to get into pellet cooking and you can keep your cooks on the smaller side, I'd look no further than GMG Davy Crockett. I have one and it performs excellent. I've done some mods to it, like cast iron grates, second shelf and am currently testing one of their WIFI controllers. Solid performance for around $350. If you need bigger then GMG, Rec Tec, Blazin Grill Works and a Fast Eddy PG500 are all worth a look. More money but you're going to have a hard time finding a good solid pellet cooker that will have good capacity, good performance with reasonable efficiency for $500.

nucornhusker
07-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Probably looking at Traeger Jr or GMG Davy Crockett. Blazin' Grill Works used to make a small grill around $500 but I see it's off of their site now. There is also thing Brinkmann but I know nothing about it. Or you can always check craigslist and almost always find a good used GMG or Traeger for around or under $500

Here's a link about the Brinkmann.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Wood-Pellet-Grill-810-3091-SB/204318416

USMC
07-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Am I the only one that is holding out on a pellet pooper, patiently waiting for Weber to come out with one?

Roast Beast
07-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Not sure how close you are to Atlanta, but Traegar Texas models pop up on Craigslist here all the time in the $500 range.

captndan
07-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Ask and ye will receive. Thanks one and all. So far I have looked at the different Traeger models and now the GMG. I'll call the GMG dealer tomorrow about that $160 sounds to good to be true. Thanks again Captndan

Fwismoker
07-27-2014, 02:40 PM
I'd ask why you want a pooper.

zitterich246
07-27-2014, 03:01 PM
GMG Davy Crockett, or Traeger jr.

The_Kapn
07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Dan,
Sounds like this may be a "try it to see if I like it" kinda purchase.
If so, I would stay close to EBay and Craigslist and look for something like a Traeger CHEAP.
Then, if you don't like the pellet world, you have little downside risk and can dump it easy.
If you do like it, and want to move up (like most of us have), you are in good shape to do so and have some pellet time behind you to help guide your next purchase.

However it works out, good to see you taking a peek into my world. 8)

TIM

zitterich246
07-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Right now the only ones I know of in that range are the smaller Traegers. If the price drop on Green Mountain mentioned above happens that might put a GMG in that range.

Also, our neighbor at a competition this weekend had a Pit Boss pellet smoker/grill and a Traeger. They looked identical to me, so Pit Boss may be a rebranded Traeger. He bought his at Menards and it looks like it is $499. He was very happy with it.

http://www.pitboss-grills.com/

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2246381-c-10141.htm
The pit boss is made by Dansons.

Ron_L
07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
The pit boss is made by Dansons.

Thanks...

He had it sitting side by side with a Traeger and I couldn't find any differences. They looked identical.

zitterich246
07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks...

He had it sitting side by side with a Traeger and I couldn't find any differences. They looked identical.
Probably made in the same factory overseas....

deguerre
07-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Curse you guys! Curse all of you! There's a pooper in my future, I just KNOW it. :tsk:

He said like that's a BAD thing, having an electrical hook up in his covered carport...:becky:

Fat Freddy
07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I dont want to link any dealer specifically but this is from one dealers Facebook page
Well big news in the Green Mountain world. August 1st 2014 there will be some changes. Pricing is the big one.. There going down. That's right down!!! The standard Daniel Boone is going to be $599. That's $160 bucks cheeper. How did they do it? They are buying metal cheep because there buying more & parts are being made buy machines not people. Good for us not for the worker. Most all of you bought grills from me with a $100 discount so it comes out to about the same price. Now you don't have to watch for a sale anymore. Now for the cool news. You now can get a grill that you can control with your smart phone. You will be able to set temps, cook times, and save them on you phone for the next time you want to cook the same thing again. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

And on another forum for pellet cookers( I know Why am I even looking at another forum:oops:) the price is not discussed because apparently GMG wanted this to be quiet but everything else is being confirmed by dealers.

Just a bit to add though we were looking hard at the GMG Friday and the dealer, who is also a friend and a well known BBQ supply store didnt say anything about this to us.

zitterich246
07-27-2014, 07:19 PM
I dont want to link any dealer specifically but this is from one dealers Facebook page
Well big news in the Green Mountain world. August 1st 2014 there will be some changes. Pricing is the big one.. There going down. That's right down!!! The standard Daniel Boone is going to be $599. That's $160 bucks cheeper. How did they do it? They are buying metal cheep because there buying more & parts are being made buy machines not people. Good for us not for the worker. Most all of you bought grills from me with a $100 discount so it comes out to about the same price. Now you don't have to watch for a sale anymore. Now for the cool news. You now can get a grill that you can control with your smart phone. You will be able to set temps, cook times, and save them on you phone for the next time you want to cook the same thing again. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

And on another forum for pellet cookers( I know Why am I even looking at another forum:oops:) the price is not discussed because apparently GMG wanted this to be quiet but everything else is being confirmed by dealers.

Just a bit to add though we were looking hard at the GMG Friday and the dealer, who is also a friend and a well known BBQ supply store didnt say anything about this to us.
Yeah, the price was suppose to be kept a secret until it was officially announced in August.

Know Bull
07-28-2014, 10:19 PM
I know you are looking for the economy model - but I have to say that there is a world of difference between an American built insulated pellet grill from Cookshack versus an uninsulated Chinese cooker from Traeger.... I can't count the number of inexpensive cookers I have purchased and given away; compared to paying for quality and keeping it for 20+ years.

captndan
07-29-2014, 06:13 AM
I know you are looking for the economy model - but I have to say that there is a world of difference between an American built insulated pellet grill from Cookshack versus an uninsulated Chinese cooker from Traeger.... I can't count the number of inexpensive cookers I have purchased and given away; compared to paying for quality and keeping it for 20+ years.

What is the uninsulated model from China? Might be time to cancel an order.

fingerlickin'
07-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I saw this at lowes yesterday for $499. I didn't know Chargriller made a pellet pooper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_411019-49769-9020_0__?productId=4437209

There was a huge gap, like 1/2 inch along the top of the door when closed. I don't know if it was put together wrong at the store or someone twisted it looking at it, but that didn't look to good to me as far as quality goes.

captndan
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
And the good news is.... I ordered the Jr. Elite from Ace and got it for $350. They called somebody about the China thing and I was assured that it was made in America! And it has a full guarantee.

deguerre
07-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Congrats! Bet you're gonna love it.

njfoses
07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
And the good news is.... I ordered the Jr. Elite from Ace and got it for $350. They called somebody about the China thing and I was assured that it was made in America! And it has a full guarantee.

If it does matter to you, all Traeger's are now produced in China. Has been that way for 5 or 6 years now.

zitterich246
07-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Ummm no..... However it is still a good grill for the price.

captndan
07-30-2014, 06:09 AM
Congrats! Bet you're gonna love it.
Your next. :laugh:

headbanger
07-30-2014, 07:17 AM
I recently saw on pellet heads dot com where someone was running a special on Englander grills $999 shipped to your door. This is the non-stainless version of the FEPG500 which is an awesome smoker/grill.