PDA

View Full Version : shelf life of bbq rub?

sevnd3z28
07-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Hi all, as the title states....how long does a bbq rub last on the shelf? I am looking at ordering some Plowboys rub along with a couple of others and am wondering how much to buy. Since I can't get any of the rubs local, I am thinking about buying in bulk....any ideas on how long it will stay fresh or how to keep it fresh longer? Any and all help is appreciated!:thumb:

Donnie

ShadowDriver
07-27-2014, 06:53 AM
The standard that I've heard kicked around for spices and such is 6 months. With all of our military moves, we've often put that to the test... and I'd say that somewhere in-between 6-12 months is reasonable for flavor...

Blythewood BBQ'er
07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
I agree 6-12 months. I loaded up with 5lb bags from big pappa smokers back in March for a comp, and my wedding. I received a foodsaver as a gift and vacuum packed what I have left over. Storage will help extend the life. Don't store near your oven, I think I wasted a jar of rub due to it being stored in the cabinet over the oven.

muidaq
07-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Keep in mind, it doesn't go bad after that...it's just not as potent.

aawa
07-27-2014, 07:18 AM
If you buy it in bulk, put a small amount in the shaker bottles and stuff in a bag, either put in a air tight container or vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer to prolong the shelf life.

captndan
07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Six months yes if kept in the fridge. Otherwise you're not using it often enough or buying to much. MHO

columbia1
07-27-2014, 10:26 AM
If you buy it in bulk, put a small amount in the shaker bottles and stuff in a bag, either put in a air tight container or vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer to prolong the shelf life.

^^^This^^^
Plus if you think your spices are getting "dull" you can run them thru a spice grinder to liven them back up.

tpope
07-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Vacuum seal and freeze. It will keep until you use it.