PDA

View Full Version : Another Brisket Try...

Smokin69th
07-26-2014, 11:35 PM
So I tried the HnF brisket again today...What do you think?

Burnt ends were mighty tasty. Brisky was a little dry. Think I need to work on an injection if I stay with BP and not foil.

pjtexas1
07-26-2014, 11:55 PM
looks good and the color is really nice. was it dry and tough or dry and crumbly? It looks a little undercooked. Don't give up on the BP yet. If it was undercooked you barely missed it. also, did you cut against the grain? in the first pic the grain is at a diagonal. can't really tell from the pics but that makes a difference.

Demosthenes9
07-27-2014, 12:22 AM
looks good and the color is really nice. was it dry and tough or dry and crumbly? It looks a little undercooked. Don't give up on the BP yet. If it was undercooked you barely missed it. also, did you cut against the grain? in the first pic the grain is at a diagonal. can't really tell from the pics but that makes a difference.

Next to last pic shows a piece cut across the grain and also a bit overcooked.

pjtexas1
07-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Next to last pic shows a piece cut across the grain and also a bit overcooked.

Did you wrap in foil after it came off the cooker? overcooked brisket usually crumbles when cut. those slices look like they are staying together pretty good. the picture you referred to looks like it was done pretty close to perfect. the folded slice looks really good. can't believe i missed that pic.:doh: The slices should pull apart easily but not so easily that they pull apart under their own weight. I have never injected so I cannot help with that.

Enrico Brandizzi
07-27-2014, 03:53 AM
It looks good to me! Nice bark and smoke ring too!

peeps
07-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Looks good but you pulled it too soon. Not a crumble on the cutting board, so no way it was overdone.

Bludawg
07-27-2014, 09:17 AM
I see a thermo in hte meat did you cook it toi Probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat or did you go by temperature? If you went by temp that is the problem with it being dry the probe don't lie Unless you had a Pit fire like I did on my last one and over heated it enough to drive off the juices.:mmph:

Smokin69th
07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanx for the feedback. @Bludawg, I did run my Maverick on the pit and the meat, but only for tracking against my other technique. I pulled it at probe tender and rested it in my Cambro for two hours before slicing. Spent that two hours making burnt ends from the point.

jsperk
07-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Looks really good.

Burnt ends look good. I have yet to try them. Maybe some day. I usually can't stop eating the point as I slice it, it so good.

Demosthenes9
07-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Looks good but you pulled it too soon. Not a crumble on the cutting board, so no way it was overdone.

Peeps, check out the next to last pic with the slice of brisket folded over. Specifically, the end underneath. See the little bit that's broken off cleanly where there's no rendered connective tissue and no apparent moisture ? Wouldn't that indicate that it was somewhat overcooked ? At least that piece ?

Bludawg
07-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanx for the feedback. @Bludawg, I did run my Maverick on the pit and the meat, but only for tracking against my other technique. I pulled it at probe tender and rested it in my Cambro for two hours before slicing. Spent that two hours making burnt ends from the point. That right there might be the problem. You need to let that temp drop to below 170 before the hot box or it will carryover cook. If the camro has other stuff in it that can fark ya with to much heat as well. I have done extensive testing on this, resting on my counter in my kitchen in a 75 deg house it will take 2Hrs for the IT to drop in to the 150's wrapped in Butcher paper.

aks801
07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
That right there might be the problem. You need to let that temp drop to below 170 before the hot box or it will carryover cook...

I can vouch for that. The first time I tried a foil and wrap post-smoker, I did it immediately instead of letting the internal temp drop. Brisket tasted ok, but totally not slice-able. We had chopped beef taters for a few weeks after that....