PDA

View Full Version : My first time doing a brisket tomorrow. Any tips?

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Like the title says tomorrow will be first time I've done a brisket. Actually I did one about 4 years ago, but I'm not gonna count that one! It is a 5lb flat that my BIL bought for me and my plan it to just use salt and pepper and smoke it on the UDS at 300-350 til it hits around 205, naked the whole time. I'm guessing it'll only be a 4-5 hour smoke. Does anyone have any tips that'll help me out or advice that I could use? Thank you very much.

peeps
07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
If it is just a flat, I would foil it...after you have done a few, work on moving to a full naked cook.

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 10:13 PM
If it is just a flat, I would foil it...after you have done a few, work on moving to a full naked cook.

You would foil it the whole time?

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I'd smoke it 275* -300* foil after 2 hrs. :mrgreen: run it till probe tender it a temp and let it rest 1 hr before slicing.

peeps
07-26-2014, 10:20 PM
You would foil it the whole time?No....foil it after it smokes for a few hours. The flat is the hardest part of the brisket to nail. Foiling it will braise it in its own juices after it has smoked a while and retain some juices for you to use to help moisten the flat after slicing.

Don't rely on internal temperature when taking it off the pit. Wait to pull it from the put until you can slide a skewer or probe into the thickest part of the meat and it goes in/out like a knife through warm butter.

Let it rest in the foil for an hour or so after taking it off the pit.

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Also, don't even look at a clock or worry about time. The brisket might take 3 hours at those temps or it might take 5 or more. Weight is irrelevant, it's the thickness of the brisket that determines how long it needs to cook.

Question, do you have some kind of heat deflector in your UDS ? Also, do you know what the actual temps are at the spot the brisket will be placed ?

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Some good tips here, thank you guys!!

Yes Demos I have a pizza pan with lots of slots in it as my deflector that I use for all of my cooks in there. I'll also have a remote thermo in the meat as well as right next to it on the grate, so keeping accurate temps shouldn't be a problem. I've used my UDS many times, but it is usually to smoke pork, chicken and turkey.

landarc
07-26-2014, 10:39 PM
I second what Peeps said, you don't HAVE to wrap, but, with a flat, it makes it a little easier. And I too, would use internal temperature as a reference point to start probe testing, but, I would rely on when the probe slides in easily, not on the temperature.

chambersuac
07-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Some good advice. I would definitely suggest wrapping it, since you're new to this. Your meat will stop taking smoke after it reaches a certain temp anyway. You are cooking REALLY hot at 350. I suggest a bit lower and slower - 275 to 300, which is still considered hot and fast. The reason being is if you're cooking at 350, once it breaks the stall, if you are not really babysitting it, it will speed past the point where it is done to where it is over-done.

Someone said not to look at the clock, that's good advice - as you never know how long meat will take to reach "done." Same with temperature. Like said above, you want to rely on feel - when a probe goes into it "like butta." Be SURE to let it rest before slicing. I wraa mine tightly in foil then put it in a dry, clean cooler wrapped in towels - or filled up with wads of newspaper (the idea is to fill up the empty space in the cooler). If a cooler isn't available, wrap it and put it in an oven that's not heated.

It may seem a bit overwhelming, but it really isn't. Have fun with it and enjoy. Oh, and don't forget to slice AGAINST the grain!

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Sounds good, I'll wrap it after a couple of hours and lower the temp to around 275. Does a rub of just salt and pepper sound good?

peeps
07-26-2014, 10:50 PM
S&P will be perfect...

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Some good tips here, thank you guys!!

Yes Demos I have a pizza pan with lots of slots in it as my deflector that I use for all of my cooks in there. I'll also have a remote thermo in the meat as well as right next to it on the grate, so keeping accurate temps shouldn't be a problem. I've used my UDS many times, but it is usually to smoke pork, chicken and turkey.

Just checking. Have seen a couple of posts from people using UDS's where they relied on the temp gauge in the side, not realizing that the middle of the grate was upwards of 50 degrees hotter.

chambersuac
07-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Peeps beat me to it. Yep salt and pepper will work great - course ground is my favorite - and sea or kosher salt, but if you don't have course ground or sea/kosher salt, don't sweat it. Don't be alarmed, though, if you don't have much of a smoke ring. Of course, the smoke ring doesn't add any flavor - it just looks cool. If you want a smoke ring, add some celery salt. For the record, I'm addicted to the Simply Marvelous line of rubs - when ya get a chance, try the Peppered Cow rub on brisket.

Also, be sure you put the brisket on cold. Some folks let their meat come up to room temperature before putting it on the cooker, which is a fine idea for steak - not so much for BBQ. The longer it takes to reach 140(ish) the more smoke it'll take on.

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Just checking. Have seen a couple of posts from people using UDS's where they relied on the temp gauge in the side, not realizing that the middle of the grate was upwards of 50 degrees hotter.

Cool, thank you. I do have one in the middle of the UDS, but since I have gotten the remote thermometers it has pretty much just been serving as a plug.

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Order some of this for your next Brisket :heh:

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/signature-edition-black-ops-brisket-rub/#axzz38dcVTepQ

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Cool, thank you. I do have one in the middle of the UDS, but since I have gotten the remote thermometers it has pretty much just been serving as a plug.

All good. This thread does make me wonder something though. Has anyone else had good results cooking brisket "Hot and fast" like this with a UDS ?

I can't help thinking about the notion that even with a deflector with holes or slits, it's still much more "direct heat" than with an offset. This coupled that with the notion that not all "300 degrees (or whatever temp)" are the same, and I wonder how well briskets will do in a UDS at these temps.

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Order some of this for your next Brisket :heh:

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/signature-edition-black-ops-brisket-rub/#axzz38dcVTepQ

That looks real good! Nice price too!

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 11:05 PM
All good. This thread does make me wonder something though. Has anyone else had good results cooking brisket "Hot and fast" like this with a UDS ?

I can't help thinking about the notion that even with a deflector with holes or slits, it's still much more "direct heat" than with an offset. This coupled that with the notion that not all "300 degrees (or whatever temp)" are the same, and I wonder how well briskets will do in a UDS at these temps.

I did my last one at 450* :mrgreen:

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/6CABCDD0-2DEE-45AB-A815-D919B9722ADE_zpsxsf975ge.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/6CABCDD0-2DEE-45AB-A815-D919B9722ADE_zpsxsf975ge.jpg.html)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193059

PigBeter
07-26-2014, 11:05 PM

Good question, hopefully someone has some experience.

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 11:09 PM
275-300* is Perfect.

landarc
07-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I cook most briskets in my UDS and temperatures approach, and sometimes exceed 325°F and there have been no problems

chambersuac
07-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I cook most briskets in my UDS and temperatures approach, and sometimes exceed 325°F and there have been no problems

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it is best practice. Aiming for a lower temp allows for brief spikes. Besides, you're from California. A California brisket cooks different than briskets from PA. :heh:

So, PigBeter, how are ya feeling about your cook? Have we helped, or confused ya???

pjtexas1
07-26-2014, 11:43 PM
I used to cook a lot of flats before I started finding full packers under 10lbs. Not enough people at my house like brisket to justify cooking anything over 10lbs. Cook it just like a packer but keep an eye on the internal temp. Do not leave the brisket out of the fridge too long and put it on the cooker as cold as possible fat cap down. Once it gets around 160 and gets a decent color you will need to wrap it. Once you foil it keep an eye on the IT because it could jump quickly in the foil. At 300 or above the window for doneness is shorter. Once it gets to 195 start probing. Could be done anywhere from 195-210 just depends on the brisket. Since this is your first one in a while I would recommend you remove and double/triple wrap in foil and put in a cooler and wrap in towels. Leave it wrapped for at least 1 hour, 2 hours would be better. It will still be plenty hot. The reason I recommend this is because most of the time we pull them too early and this will allow it to continue to cook a little more. Once you get the hang of probe tender then the cooler and towels will not be necessary. Overdone is much, much better than undercooked. Good luck with your cook and don't worry too much. This is supposed to be fun.:-D

chambersuac
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
I used to cook a lot of flats before I started finding full packers under 10lbs. Not enough people at my house like brisket to justify cooking anything over 10lbs. Cook it just like a packer but keep an eye on the internal temp. Do not leave the brisket out of the fridge too long and put it on the cooker as cold as possible fat cap down. Once it gets around 160 and gets a decent color you will need to wrap it. Once you foil it keep an eye on the IT because it could jump quickly in the foil. At 300 or above the window for doneness is shorter. Once it gets to 195 start probing. Could be done anywhere from 195-210 just depends on the brisket. Since this is your first one in a while I would recommend you remove and double/triple wrap in foil and put in a cooler and wrap in towels. Leave it wrapped for at least 1 hour, 2 hours would be better. It will still be plenty hot. The reason I recommend this is because most of the time we pull them too early and this will allow it to continue to cook a little more. Once you get the hang of probe tender then the cooler and towels will not be necessary. Overdone is much, much better than undercooked. Good luck with your cook and don't worry too much. This is supposed to be fun.:-D

A quick hijack...sorry...
About not cooking briskets over 10 pounds. Brother, cook the big ones and freeze some - or make chili, nachos, tacos, taquitos, quesadillas, etc.

Or...bring me the leftovers to me :)

chambersuac
07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
What time are you starting the cook?

Nobody has said, but I will, please don't be insulted - but since I don't know your level of knowledge/experience - please make sure your fire is burning cleanly and producing good smoke before you put your meat on.

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 08:39 AM
What time are you starting the cook?

Nobody has said, but I will, please don't be insulted - but since I don't know your level of knowledge/experience - please make sure your fire is burning cleanly and producing good smoke before you put your meat on.

No offense taken. I am going to light the UDS up now so hopefully the brisket will go on in an hour. Thanks for the help and wich me the best!

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Well that was a terrible start! Got the smoker going and then found out the brisket was rotten!!! Took it back and they didn't have anymore!!! So I ended up getting a tiny 2lb brisket and a rack of Excel brand spares. I'm not happy at all and next time I'll probably just go to wally world and get a full brisket to practice on. They are only $35-40 there and you get a lot more meat then I did from the grocery store!!

pjtexas1
07-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Sorry for your loss. I was really looking forward to seeing the results.

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Sorry for your loss. I was really looking forward to seeing the results.

Haha! Yeah I am extremely disappointed! I'll get em next time though! It'll have to wait a few months though! I work full time and go to school full time and have a part time gig and my wife and I have three daughters so smoking time has been limited lately. I am on break between classes now so I figured I'd throw the brisket on to try out, but I graduate in October so maybe my wife will reward me with a full brisket!! I'll have plenty of time then!!

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Since I ended up with such a small piece I am smoking it around 250 and its IT is 149 right now. I was thinking of foiling it around 165IT does that sounds about right?

Demosthenes9
07-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Since I ended up with such a small piece I am smoking it around 250 and its IT is 149 right now. I was thinking of foiling it around 165IT does that sounds about right?

Yeah. If you are going to foil, that's in the right neighborhood.

While it's 2lbs, is it a wide flat piece ? Or a narrow thick piece of brisket ?

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 06:47 PM
OK, I ended up foiling it around 154IT and it took 7 hours for this sucker to cook, but man was it well worth it!! I'll put up pics in a moment.

PigBeter
07-27-2014, 06:57 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_112240_180_zpsa64997ff.jpg

This is a combo that I learned on here a while back. I can't remember from who, but thank you, I use it on almost all of my ribs!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_132021_702_zps05147714.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1406504990299_zps679dda57.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_174419_801_zpsfd6107b8.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1406504822531_zpsb47c4c66.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_193006_549_zps6539b235.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q141/SuperStang83/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_194012_613_zps5b0acfc4.jpg

Thanks for all of the help, it turned out incredible!!

zitterich246
07-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Looks good