PDA

View Full Version : Pork Roast

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Wife brought home a pork roast..should I go to tender probe Im not going to pull it. just slice. Need your expertise guys thanks

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Wife brought home a pork roast..should I go to tender probe Im not going to pull it. just slice. Need your expertise guys thanks

Really depends on what kind of "pork roast" it is. Some are very lean and should only be taken up to 140ish, others have lots of fat and connective tissues and do better at higher temps.

Got any pics ? Or a specific name of the cut from the label ?

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Just store bought from fareway with string

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 03:48 PM

And all the label says is "pork roast" ? Doesn't mention anything else like "sirloin", "blade", or anything else ?

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 03:54 PM
nope pork roast

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Just stuck it on...grate temp 250 with the maverick.???? Im thinking just probe tender it's just a big blob of pork stringed

mchar69
07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Im thinking just probe tender it's just a big blob of pork stringed
You gotta get us a picture.
How many pounds is it?
As mentioned, if it's a loin, it will dry out faster than you can imagine,
and you want it pink inside, 140 IT, then loosely tented w/ foil.
If it's a shoulder, you could cook it all day at 250 and hardly ruin it,
UNLESS YOU PULL IT AT 140f IT !!!!
Get us a photo! NOW!

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Just stuck it on...grate temp 250 with the maverick.???? Im thinking just probe tender it's just a big blob of pork stringed

Given the unknowns, I'd take it to about 145 then slice a small piece of and try it. If it's tough and/or chewy, then take it higher.

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Can't do the photo yet charging my phone. Its not a loin. I cook them all the time this is like a beef roast with string attached. I think I should probably take it to probe tender. ??? Thanks for the help guys. I didn't know anything about smoking and BBQ till I came here.

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 04:12 PM
By the way it's only about 2 LBs

mchar69
07-26-2014, 04:13 PM
I just called and they said if it's seasoned, it's a shoulder, and if not it's loin roast.
Both come in netting, not individual stringing.
So - you have an hour and a half or 6 or more hours of cooking ahead.

mchar69
07-26-2014, 04:13 PM
ugh.

Demosthenes9
07-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Can't do the photo yet charging my phone. Its not a loin. I cook them all the time this is like a beef roast with string attached. I think I should probably take it to probe tender. ??? Thanks for the help guys. I didn't know anything about smoking and BBQ till I came here.

Midwest, problem is that even with "beef roasts", the temp depends on what kind of roast it is. A top round, inside round, bottom round, ribeye, or NY strip roast should only be taken to 130-140ish. A chuck roast or a blade roast needs to be taken to a higher temp.

I'd love to be able to sit here and tell you that your "pork roast" should definitely be taken to 140, but I can't because it very well might be a roast that needs to go to a higher temp. Or to tell you to take it to 190 and probe tender, when it really should be pulled at 140.

Again, it all depends on what kind of roast you have.

mchar69
07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Was it Seasoned, or bare meat?

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 05:50 PM
bare meat. If it comes out tough Ill be pssied. Just going to taqke it to probe tender. It was bare meat

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
I think I'm going to go to probe tender. If I screw it up so be it. I've never cooked a roast/ thanks for the input. I am not even close to 145

IamMadMan
07-26-2014, 06:19 PM

I would presume if it is tied with string and only weighs 2 pounds it is a rolled roast with a piece from bordering the loin area and a piece near the blade area. Because it is small and does not have a lot of fat, it would probably be best cooked at a higher temperature to prevent it from drying out too quickly.

Also because it is pieced and tied together with both white and dark meat, I would go to an internal temperature of 150°.

midwestsmokeboy
07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
thanks for all of the posts. Im gonna take it to 190. See how it looks. I told the wife to get me a brisket next time. Oh well. let u all know how it turned out. Thanks for all the help. I am working to get all meats to BBQ excellence.