PDA

View Full Version : Wsm charcoal ring question

Staab
07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Has anyone here modified their rings to make them higher so you can load it up more for longer cooks? Pictures?

TheWolfePit
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, there isn't a need to add more charcoal. One full load of KF in a WSM 'should' easily burn and hold temps for 20+ hours. Of course this all depends on how you light and load.

Staab
07-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Hm Iam fairly new to this but I load the ring and light with the minion method and it usually lasts around 8 hours

Brian in Maine
07-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Are you cooking on a 22 1/2"? I've heard folks say that they get between 12 and 16 on the bigger WSM.

mottman
07-26-2014, 04:28 PM
It also depends on how hot you want to cook with it too.

For my cook today, in my 22.5 I put in maybe a little more than half a bag to 3/4 of a bag of KBB. I'm running it around 300-315. Still going after about 5 hours of being lit. I did add in a few more briquettes just to make sure.

Last time I got around 6 hours before on quarter of a bag at 250 before I took the ribs off and closed up. When I opened it up this morning I still had unlit coals from that cook.

THoey1963
07-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I have gone 13+ hours on my 22.5 and still had some coal left over. I normally cook around 280* as that's where she likes to run...

TheWolfePit
07-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hm Iam fairly new to this but I load the ring and light with the minion method and it usually lasts around 8 hours

Here's how I light an 18.5" WSM for cooking between 250º-270º at the dome. Using sand in the standard WSM water pan (foiled).

1. Load Kingsford in the charcoal ring to the top.
2. Add 3-4 chunks of wood.
3. Light the center of the coals with a hand torch until 3-4 coals begin to light.
4. Load 'cold' meat.
5. Put the lid on and leave all vents open 100% until I hit 200º.
6. Once at 200º, close all three bottom vents 90% and leave the top vent open 100% ALWAYS.
7. DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER ADJUSTMENT UNTIL YOUR MEAT IS DONE. * Unless your temps dramatically drop after 8 hours.

This method worked tried and true for me, but you have to be patient....go do something, don't just sit and stare at the grill or thermometers or try to maintain an 'exact' temperature. Every single time you make an adjustment, you make your cook longer, more complicated and more frustrating. Sometimes it may take an hour to get the temps up and stable, but if you leave them alone the WSM will work for you. Use a temp range, rather than an exact temp. Even with the range, don't worry if from time to time you go +/- 10º-15º, you will never be able to keep an exact temperature.

You are just getting started with a load of charcoal lasting 8 hours. After 8 hours or so, tap the WSM to knock the loose ash down to keep the air flowing. I hope this helps extend your cooks and conserve fuel.