PDA

View Full Version : Need help with picking a smoker

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Hello everyone I'm new here & just started learning how to smoking meats & bbq. I have a Kingsford kettle & a mastercraft 7in1 smoker. The other day I found out how BAD of a smoker the mastercraft is. It took almost 6hrs to do a whole fryer chicken! I had problems the whole time trying to keep the temp between 275-300 and I had to keep feeding the fire. I was using Lump charcoal and it burnt about 8-9lbs in that time. I've been looking around and I like the Char-griller Acorn Kamado. My local walmart has them for $288 & I'm really thinking about getting one but last night I found a offset smoker that I've been looking for its a New Braunfels Longhorn Deluxe for $350 used. So if anyone has these can you tell me the Pros & Cons of them.

Blythewood BBQ'er
07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Build a uds! Sorry just had to get that response out the way. Do you want a set and forget type or one to monitor a bit. It all depends on what you want in a cooker. I've never used either, but the are both capable of doing a great job.

smoke ninja
07-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Well if you give us more info we could help you better. How often you cook, for how many, do you like sleep, how much space you have, do you cook year round? Ect

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 08:27 AM
I like the thoughts of set it and go but I also don't mined tending a fire every now & then. But I don't want to feed almost Half a bag to cook one little chicken.

DR
07-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Look into a webber smokey mountain. Perfect for weekend smoking.

Piggysquealers
07-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Get an 18" WSM, they're around $250 and the best backyard smoker you can buy (IMHO). I can get it to park at 250 for 7-8 hours. I cooked my first contest with one also...

Danny B
07-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I like the thoughts of set it and go but I also don't mined tending a fire every now & then. But I don't want to feed almost Half a bag to cook one little chicken.

If you like set it and forget it with a little tending required from time to time then I suggest a WSM. I also suggest the 22($399) vs. the 18($299). I started with the 18 and it's a great smoker but its hard to fit ribs laying down and most briskets have to be shoehorned between the grate handles. I also had a New Braunfels as my first smoker and it was difficult to keep an even temperature and used much more charcoal than a WSM. I would also suggest cooking a single chicken on your kettle. Good luck.

AClarke44
07-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Depending on the size of cooks you will be doing, I'd get the 18.5 Weber smokey mountain (wsm) for only $12 more than the char griller you are considering. If you need more cooking room and/or have it in your budget get the 22.5 WSM. Webers are better products in my opinion than what you are looking at. Or if you want to spend less, buy or build a drum smoker as mentioned. You can read for days here in the forum about UDS. I'm new to smoking as well but after reading thousands of posts here I plan to get a used wsm or find time to build a uds. Especially being a beginner.

MatthewC
07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Weber WSM as well. I am saying that because that is what I learned to smoke on myself and have no regrets.

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 09:07 AM
I've looked at the WSM's & I like them but why I'm like the acorn is cause it's versital on the other hand I like the longhorn for the amount of cooking room. By thanksgiving I want to be able to smoke some turkeys for my family.

AClarke44
07-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Uds can be built to be very versatile and a wsm can be with a couple easy cheap mods. The wsm will last you forever.

Someone else may be able to answer this more correctly but I believe the 22.5 wsm can cook 2 18lb turkeys at once.

Bludawg
07-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Buy once Cry once http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Buy once Cry once http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html

Those look really nice but I just don't have the money for something like that.

ICDEDTURKES
07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
I have had an Akorn for 3 years now.. It has a learning curve but the internet is now loaded with info that really shortens it.

Once you have a handle on it, it is a very easy cooker to run.. To the point of being boring.

It is a very versatile cooker and it does not look as if your loaded up with other grills.. If you are worried about charcoal consumption it probably is the way to go. On something short like a chicken you will be shocked as to how little lump was burned when you look in there the next day.

Another nice thing about it, is it is unaffected by ambient temp.. I have done long low and slows as low as 8 degrees with no noticeable difference in how it ran or charcoal consumption..

grillinguy247
07-26-2014, 09:56 AM
If you're on a budget like I am I would get a wsm now and save a little more money to get weber kettle. With those two cookers you can cook just about anything.

Fwismoker
07-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Big Poppa UDS kit...all day long and twice on Tuesdays.

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Iceturkes Have tried cooking a turkey on your acorn? I want to cook ribs, butts, meatloafs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, brisket, steaks, burgers, ah heck anything that I can get my hands on. I think I would use the acorn more. But when it comes time to cook a lot I will want the size of the offset.

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Ok. I just talked to the guy with the longhorn. He said its 3 years old been used 15-20 times and it's stayed in his garage. He's done all the mods already like sealing the doors with high temp gaskets, high temp silicon between the fire box and cooking chamber, he run the smoke stack all the way over to the fire box side, lowered the smoke stack inside down to the cooking grate, and put a full length heat deflector in the cooking chamber.

Bob C Cue
07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
If you want to cook a lot of wonderful meat at one time may I suggest a Pit Barrel Cooker. You can cook 8 racks of ribs at a time.

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Get both. Kamado first.

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Get both. Kamado first.

That's what I'm trying to get my wife talked into.

ICDEDTURKES
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Iceturkes Have tried cooking a turkey on your acorn? I want to cook ribs, butts, meatloafs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, brisket, steaks, burgers, ah heck anything that I can get my hands on. I think I would use the acorn more. But when it comes time to cook a lot I will want the size of the offset.

Yes turkeys turn out great on the Akorn.. I have a cheap offset as well, I enjoy cooking on the offset more.. Its fun feeding logs, but it is more demanding and you have to keep a better eye on it.. Additionally with our cold winters in the north it just isn't very efficient or fun going out every 30 minutes.

The Akorn is 19.75 I believe and also has the upper rack which is nice.. It can cook up a pretty sizeable amount of meat..

I have never cooked on WSM, or Drum but both have a cult following and are well loved.. But if you are looking to do the gamut of stuff from 225 for BBQ to 600+ for steaks you may be better off getting the Akorn or a 26 inch kettle..

ssv3
07-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Uds check
Wsm check
How about a pbc? Pit Barrel cooker. Check it out. I love mine.

IamMadMan
07-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Hello everyone I'm new here & just started learning how to smoking meats & bbq. I have a Kingsford kettle & a mastercraft 7in1 smoker. The other day I found out how BAD of a smoker the mastercraft is. It took almost 6hrs to do a whole fryer chicken! I had problems the whole time trying to keep the temp between 275-300 and I had to keep feeding the fire. I was using Lump charcoal and it burnt about 8-9lbs in that time. I've been looking around and I like the Char-griller Acorn Kamado. My local walmart has them for $288 & I'm really thinking about getting one but last night I found a offset smoker that I've been looking for its a New Braunfels Longhorn Deluxe for $350 used. So if anyone has these can you tell me the Pros & Cons of them.

Smokenrt,

Welcome to your new world of learning how to smoke...

I think it is actually good that you started with a poor quality smoker because things can only get better from here. Heck even Myron claims he can cook good BBQ in a trash can, but yes because it requires more time and work to cook properly. So if nothing else you have learned the basics of fire management.

While there are many choices of smokers to choose from, you are still learning and your likes and dislikes will change as you progress.

Keep in mind that people are different in many ways, so to buy a smoker on another users recommendation could be a poor fit for you. Before you get caught up on an idea of a specific smoker, I would suggest that you build yourself a UDS.
1) This will allow you the ability to cook more food without expending a lot of your hard earned money.
2) This will give you a sense of accomplishment and understanding how basic smokers work.

Once you get beyond this you can safely judge the amount of food you will normally cook at a gathering. From here you know the size of the cooker you are looking for, the type of fuel you want to use, and the footprint size for your cooker. All this can help save you a lot of money buying smokers as you progress.

I used to think it was fun to collect the many smokers I purchased, even lining them up like little soldiers. When I did research and finally bought my last smoker, at that point I realized I no longer needed the other 5 smokers. My new smoker served the purpose of all five combined, so I gave them as starter smokers to family and friends.

Keep to the basics and make a list of what you need to do with your smoker keeping separate what you want to do. Somewhere in the middle you will find the list of requirements of your smoker needs and some of your wants. This will make the task of finding the perfect smoker easier.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted.

Link
07-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Get an 18" WSM, they're around $250 and the best backyard smoker you can buy (IMHO). I can get it to park at 250 for 7-8 hours. I cooked my first contest with one also...

i got a wsm 18 where do you buy them new for 250.00

pjtexas1
07-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Have you looked at Craigslist for someone that sells UDS's? Sometimes the hardest part is finding a drum to start the build. We have local guys that sell them for $200 for the basic units up to $400 for the ones with custom paint jobs like baseball/football teams.

Kathy's Smokin'
07-26-2014, 02:45 PM
As far as efficient use of charcoal and the ability to eventually cook a lot of food at once, it's hard to beat a UDS. I don't have one, but I will one day. Right now I use a kamado and sometimes I wish I had more space. Other than the space issue, my kamado is fantastic for efficiency, ease of use, finished product and subzero winter smoking. Many members here have been able to build one for about $50, look on CL for parts and search out threads where members built them on the cheap. If charcoal efficiency is a priority for you, a cheap offset smoker (less that $200) will not give you that and it needs a significant amount of tending, especially in the beginning. I don't know about the Akorn, I think it's similar to a Bubba Keg, isn't it? I've heard a lot of good things about the Bubba Keg, re: efficiency and ease of use. I am a fan of the idea of having less smokers that accomplish more. Why not spend your money on nice meat if an accomplished smoker like a UDS can be had for so little cash?

Smokenrt
07-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Thank You everyone for you thoughts & insight on this. I just left the guys house that has the offset. He told me that when he bought it new he paid over $900 for it his wife even still has the recepet for it (she had fun reminding him how much he paid Lol). He even came down on his price from $350 to $300 and he said he would throw in all the stuff he has for it 40lbs of kingsford, chem starter, & 3 digital duel probe thermometers. He said the reason for the deal was cause there moving and he can't take it with them. I've been looking at the UDS but I don't have a concrete area to put it on. One of the guys I work with said I can use his Akorn to see how I like it. He said that all he's done to his is when he was putting it together he used High Temp silicon on the vents and he doubled the gasket on the lid and the ash pan. So the first test tonight is steaks I want to see if it can get hot enuf to sear then for tomorrow I have a 7lb butt to test it with.

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 10:05 PM
So you got the offset?

Kathy's Smokin'
07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Wait a second, the $350 NB offset, now at $300, you were talking about cost $900 new? Doesn't sound like a cheap one, how thick is the steel? I'm going to google around a bit and search some threads here.

SmittyJonz
07-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I'd buy the offset AND the Kamado AND build a UDS. :mrgreen:

pcshrews
07-26-2014, 11:18 PM
From what you have posted I would recommend a WSM as well or build an UDS if you like a project. I had an ECB and struggled for years trying to maintain a good temp for coking. Finally resorted to doing most all of my bbq on a kettle grill. Since I purchased a 22 WSM, it has definitely improved my cooking quality of life. Lots of room on these uints. I have cooked 6 pork sholders at one time on the WSM. Good luck and enjoy!

Roast Beast
07-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Wait a second, the $350 NB offset, now at $300, you were talking about cost $900 new? Doesn't sound like a cheap one, how thick is the steel? I'm going to google around a bit and search some threads here.

Longhorn Deluxe: http://www.charbroil.com/new-braunfels-longhorn-deluxe-offset-smoker.html

Smokenrt
07-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Yep that's it. It's a BEAST!!! It has 1/4" Steel and it's 700lbs+ I've got the wife on board to get it and after using the akorn last night she loves it. So she wants to get the akorn as well.

Smokenrt
07-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Ok y'all I've got the longhorn home and on the porch beside my friends Akorn & man it's Big it took me & 2 other guys to get it loaded into the truck using ramps and pushing it up. The fun came when I got back home and it was me and my wife trying to get it unloaded. But it's here and when I got into its spot I told my wife it didn't look that big at the guys house. :shock: it looks like a Monster beside the akorn. Now the akorn has been going sence 6:30am and with notes from my friend on this smoker on how much lump and the vent settings it has stayed at 230 all day & the butt looks GREAT!!

pjtexas1
07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the cooker and the wife being on board. Now go get the Akorn before she comes to her senses! This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Kathy's Smokin'
07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Wow, ¼" thick steel? For $300 plus paraphernalia? I'd go for that, too, holy smokes!

Congratulations, brother, you really scored. Big time. :nod:

tnfan47
07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I've had my Akorn for 2 years and I love it. Never had any experience with a wsm but I wouldn't mind having one for more smoking room. The Akorn is a versatile cooker.. It does low n slow cooks and sears steaks. If you want you want a all in one type cooker get the Akorn. If you want a cooker mainly to smoke probably consider a wsm or Uds since they have more room.

Smokenrt
07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Took my wife to Wally World to get the akorn. As I was putting in the box on the cart my wife noticed that this was the Only type grill that wasn't on clearance. The regular price was $288 so I got an associate to get the manager. She finally come back to us and I asked her about the price and why this one wasn't on Clearance like the rest of them. She looked at the grill and scanned it with a price gun and said it must have missed the markdown like the rest of the grills. She told me seeing how it's the last one she offered it up for $75 :shock: I told her that I would give her $50 and to my Surprise she said OK!! :lol: I didn't even wait around I went strait to the checkout with the Manager in tow to Hold her to her price. We left out of there and picked up some Lottery tickets. My wife said I must have a Golden horse shoe somewhere to have this LUCKY of a day. So come on Luck hold out for me so I can cash in on Power Ball or Mega Millions!!! :-D

Piggysquealers
07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Nice work and congrats

pjtexas1
07-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Congrats on the cooker and the wife being on board. Now go get the Akorn before she comes to her senses! This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Looks like I was right. Sooooo...Are we sharing the lotto winnings???

SmittyJonz
07-28-2014, 12:43 AM
Took my wife to Wally World to get the akorn. As I was putting in the box on the cart my wife noticed that this was the Only type grill that wasn't on clearance. The regular price was $288 so I got an associate to get the manager. She finally come back to us and I asked her about the price and why this one wasn't on Clearance like the rest of them. She looked at the grill and scanned it with a price gun and said it must have missed the markdown like the rest of the grills. She told me seeing how it's the last one she offered it up for $75 :shock: I told her that I would give her $50 and to my Surprise she said OK!! :lol: I didn't even wait around I went strait to the checkout with the Manager in tow to Hold her to her price. We left out of there and picked up some Lottery tickets. My wife said I must have a Golden horse shoe somewhere to have this LUCKY of a day. So come on Luck hold out for me so I can cash in on Power Ball or Mega Millions!!! :-D

That Just ain't right ...... I NEVER get Deals like that!

NeilH
07-28-2014, 07:50 AM
You got money now to get a WSM. ;)

ICDEDTURKES
07-28-2014, 07:54 AM
:shocked: 50 Bucks :shocked:Took my wife to Wally World to get the akorn. As I was putting in the box on the cart my wife noticed that this was the Only type grill that wasn't on clearance. The regular price was $288 so I got an associate to get the manager. She finally come back to us and I asked her about the price and why this one wasn't on Clearance like the rest of them. She looked at the grill and scanned it with a price gun and said it must have missed the markdown like the rest of the grills. She told me seeing how it's the last one she offered it up for $75 :shock: I told her that I would give her $50 and to my Surprise she said OK!! :lol: I didn't even wait around I went strait to the checkout with the Manager in tow to Hold her to her price. We left out of there and picked up some Lottery tickets. My wife said I must have a Golden horse shoe somewhere to have this LUCKY of a day. So come on Luck hold out for me so I can cash in on Power Ball or Mega Millions!!! :-D

jham0077
07-28-2014, 09:11 AM
That's what I'm trying to get my wife talked into.

This is not only a BBQ forum, marital advice is offered up also. After said advice is followed, somebody can probably come up with the number of a good marriage counselor close by.....:doh:

Man that thing is a beast. Fifty bucks.... they would have upped the price on me....

peeps
07-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Hell, I'd get me an Akorn, too, for $50! Damn!

...and I'd put it right next to my $60 SS2!!!! :wink:

IamMadMan
07-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Took my wife to Wally World to get the akorn. As I was putting in the box on the cart my wife noticed that this was the Only type grill that wasn't on clearance. The regular price was $288 so I got an associate to get the manager. She finally come back to us and I asked her about the price and why this one wasn't on Clearance like the rest of them. She looked at the grill and scanned it with a price gun and said it must have missed the markdown like the rest of the grills. She told me seeing how it's the last one she offered it up for $75 :shock: I told her that I would give her $50 and to my Surprise she said OK!! :lol: I didn't even wait around I went strait to the checkout with the Manager in tow to Hold her to her price. :-D

What a deal!!!!!

BB-Kuhn
07-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I'd go for the 22 WSM. You'll never regret getting the bigger size, and the 18 doesn't work nearly as well for ribs.

Smokenrt
07-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Yea I still can't get over the deals I got on these 2!! The Akorn is GREAT!! I did the BGE gasket on the top where the lid sets, on the ash pan, & behind the vent when I was putting it together. I put the weber grate in & a pizza pan for a defuser & drip pan. I then fired it up to do the seasoning. It took no time at all to get up to 400 with the dampers wide open so I closed the bottom down to 1 and set the top to a 1/2" open and she settled in at 460 for the hour. My wife then surprised me with a home made pizza she was waiting to put on the grill so I opened the dampers back wide open and the temp jumped to 520 so we put the pizza on and 12 mins later we had done our first cook. The pizza came out GREAT and my wife is wanting to fire up the Longhorn (the Monster as she calls it) this weekend to cook up some ribs. :-D

Turtlepower_SF
07-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Get both. Kamado first.

Agreed, if it's efficiency you want, the Kamado is King. I've ran mine for 24 hours at 225, after I still had enough coal/wood to burn for probably at least another day or maybe even 2 without refueling. I have a "Vision Kamado Classic" btw. Around $600 brand new from Costco.

RolandJT
07-28-2014, 09:53 PM

That made my day:clap2: thanks for sharing

tnfan47
07-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Congrats on picking the Akorn. Enjoy it. Here is an alternative cast iron heat diffuser that can be used.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-preseasoned-round-griddle/pid-27889?N=903862930&Ntt=cast+iron&Ntk=All