PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help With Newly Built BBQ/grill

MileHighBBQ
07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone! I need some input from everyone regarding a grill I just made and had coated before using it. I welded a corn/meat barbecue out of mild steel plate that is about .3 inches thick. It was then completely sandblasted and high heat ceramic coated on the entire outside of the cooker. As a part of the curing process for the fire box portion of the grill, it was heated to 500 degrees to cure the ceramic coating. In that process, the steels pores were open and the inside sandblasted, uncoated surface turned purple from the tempering of the metal. I spoke with the guy at the coating place, and he advised there should be no issues with using the cooker immediately at all. I was just going to season the entire inside of the cooker with PAM or vegetable oil and go through several burn cycles of charcoal before I used it, but the purple (oxide I believe, at least as far as I can tell from tempering article on the internet) scares me and I don't want it to contaminate the food. I know its not on the food contact surface, but I wanted to get some opinions on if it would be safe to cook in it yet. Thanks!

Heres the top:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/MineralStangGT/Corn%20Cooker/20140715_062842.jpg

But here is the base in question. Its hard to tell from the bad pictures, but its varying shades of purple on the inside:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/MineralStangGT/Corn%20Cooker/IMG_20140724_104244972.jpg

Heres a shot from the shop that has a good sun angle:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/MineralStangGT/Corn%20Cooker/20140715_062923.jpg

okiej
07-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd cook on it. But that's just me. I have seen metal turn purple for sure when it gets really hot. Is that iron oxide, I don't know, I don't think so. Season it like you said and all should be good. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will see this and set me straight.

mchar69
07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
+1 and season it - then cook. Is that a cachina takeoff?
I've cooked for 60 people on something like that and my advice is -
BANK YOUR COALS to each side - and somehow provide cooler spots.
I might do a ridge up the middle - and a load along one edge.
You will burn food faster
than you can dump it on plates if you have no cool spots.

MileHighBBQ
07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
+1 and season it - then cook. Is that a cachina takeoff?
I've cooked for 60 people on something like that and my advice is -
BANK YOUR COALS to each side - and somehow provide cooler spots.
I might do a ridge up the middle - and a load along one edge.
You will burn food faster
than you can dump it on plates if you have no cool spots.

I never really had a name for it, or heard of one, but it may be! Its actually built to cook corn vertically on some racks that I have welded together, and you put the soaked corn in the BBQ vertically in the husk and it cooks it that way. I've been contemplating ways to use it for meat, etc and my brother in law has been saying we should do a turkey someday, but I'll have to just experiment. I really appreciate all of the information.

MileHighBBQ
07-26-2014, 08:10 PM
So does everyone think its OK to season it as it is (with the purple color)?

okiej
07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
So does everyone think its OK to season it as it is (with the purple color)?

Yes here

Stingerhook
07-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Season it, let's see some pron.

mchar69
07-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Spray it with Pam, or mop it w/ Lard,
after 45 minute put on some chicken thighs,
and Off you GO!

woodbutcher1
07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
grease it up and start cooking.