PDA

View Full Version : RD - meh

RevZiLLa
07-24-2014, 10:34 PM
I got a full blown restaurant depot membership and checked them out 3 times so far. Here are my pros and cons so far. Add some if you want

Pros

Cuts that are unavailable elsewhere can be found

whole goat
whole pig
pork belly
chuck roll
fresh fish
lobster
and more

Prices are fantastic on

spices
evoo
bulk groceries
meats
fish
cheese

Restaurant equipment is available at decent prices
fresh herbs are available at decent prices

Cons

It is a pretty big drive
the meats are substandard grade

select
standard
there is a limited amount of choice

I found no prime cuts at all
Costco prices on meats are close, but for choice or prime cuts
the fantastic price 81/19 ground beef has gristle and bone in it...
some of the brands are less desireable (like Jenny-o)
most of the cheese is in quantities too large
a deal on cheese from the flier turned out to be cheese product
closes early

For me, the quality of the meats is very disappointing.

retired trucker
07-24-2014, 10:58 PM
I don't have a membership nor have I ever visited one. I have the necessary paperwork to get a membership, but after your review, I won't bother. I get most of my meat from Sam's, or from Zycon foods in bulk. Thanks for the honest review.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

RevZiLLa
07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
The membership is free, so try it for yourself. I have only gone 3 times and may be overlooking something.

beteez
07-24-2014, 11:40 PM
In Jax there is a whole case of Angus Select which is a high grade choice also on occasion have had prime. Cheese is food service size. Great deals on Lump, mushrooms & aluminum pans. Not better than costco in all ways but a great supplement.

Rafael
07-24-2014, 11:48 PM
I have been a member there for quite some time now and absolutely love the pork there, pork butts, ribs etc, would never buy anywhere else. Have never bought beef tho so can't comment on that.

Untraceable
07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Yeah, the place is pretty much for low end food sales. Fortunately, its still pretty cool. My reasons are

Free w/ KCBS membership
I can usually go through a dozen briskets set out to pick a good one.
Case price break usually around 46 or 51lbs.
RO Lump cheap
Pans/ect

gmag
07-25-2014, 08:49 AM
I bought the 81/19 ground beef two weeks ago and I thought the quality was fine. I certainly didnt have any bone in mine. I like using RD for the big meats. Some things are cheap, some are not. Has anyone looked at the price of a Cambro there?! WOW!! It's AT LEAST $100 more than what I could get one for on Ebay.

I am also not a fan of the RD customer service. Very shrewd people (I'm looking at YOU St. Paul location!).

Boston Smoker
07-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Here in MA, they're pretty much the only option nearby with a decent selection of choice packer briskets (or any packers for that matter). I've been happy with the quality. I've had good luck with the pork butts as well.

ButtBurner
07-25-2014, 09:19 AM
The one I go to is fine for meats.

They have 2 kinds of choice, their own house Angus Beef brand and normal choice, each in their own meat case.

And its the only place I can pick through 30-40 briskets to find what I want.

Pork butts and ribs are fine too.

I dont buy pre packaged ground beef so I cant speak to that.

Since membership is free i think its well worth it

columbia1
07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
We love the meats at RD, they have some really nice "meaty" beef ribs, cheap pork tenderloins, pork ribs(farmlands best), and CAB briskets. Chicken does suck thou, all hard frozen and only in cases. It is a hour drive for us one way, but still worth the drive!!

aawa
07-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Almost everything you listed make sense. Restaurant Depot is geared towards Food service operations and not home use.

Because it is geared towards food service, they open very early to meet the demands of of people that open for lunch. They close early as well because their target groups are restaurants and typically restaurants are busy with their dinner rush instead of shopping at 5pm.

Same with with cheese being in quantities too large for home use. A restaurant will go through that cheese without any issue. A home, most likely won't go through a log of cheese quickly enough.

Once again food service business are their target, not the home/individual.

ButtBurner
07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
I buy the big hunks of cheese there

thats why I bought a vacuum sealer

;)

Pitmaster T
07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Sigh... we are in BBQ, right.... so if we are BBQing, we technically are IN the lower quality meat sales... we just turn select cuts into things of Gold.

Grilling is a nother matter though.

Since I joined, and it's free... I agree that prices on Spices and Honey and oils are worth the drive and tolls.

Sams is getting to where they just do not have anything like they used to.

Carbon
07-25-2014, 11:44 AM
For the type of cooks I do I often find better deals on sale at local supermarkets. I rarely go to RD. And when I do it's because I need sashimi and sushi stuff.

bignburlyman
07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Sigh... we are in BBQ, right.... so if we are BBQing, we technically are IN the lower quality meat sales... we just turn select cuts into things of Gold.

Since I joined, and it's free... I agree that prices on Spices and Honey and oils are worth the drive and tolls.

My main problem with Sams is when you find something you like, then go back to buy more, it is discontinued. :mod: Not necessarily the meat dept but other food items.

EvilSwine
07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
I work for one of the larger foodservice suppliers and I still need to shop around for certain things. I'll be getting a brisket at Walmart when I leave work in a few hours.

bander7003
07-25-2014, 02:18 PM
It's the only place around here where I can consistently find CAB briskets. I like some of the other features too, but would probably go elsewhere but for the briskets.

There is plenty of Choice grade meat at the RD here.

Wampus
07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm a RD fan.
It's closer to me than the Costco.
It's cheaper most most everything than Sam's.
It's got a lot more selection than anywhere else.
It's a free membership.

Mine has USDA CHOICE briskets regularly.
The price for cases of half and full foil pans and lids as well as butcher paper, foil, gloves, charcoal, and many other things is better than anywhere.

I've also saved a LOT of money buying in bulk, even more bulk than Sam's has on things like:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Bread flour
Pie Filling (for my Peach Bourbon Baked Beans, of course :becky:)

I also like the selection of canned goods, spices, pop, water, bread, rolls, buns, etc. for when we do vending.

They also have some cuts of meat that I just can't find anywhere else:
-Beef chuck ribs
-Chuck roll
-Big bologna chubs
-Pre-trimmed spares

PLUS their "case prices" just have a min weight, so you don't necessarily have to buy a whole case. If I want case prices at Sam's, I have to buy a whole case of 5 packers. At RD, I can just get at least 40 lbs (sometimes 1/2 a case) and still save a bunch/lb.

As aawa said, it's a RESTAURANT SUPPLY store, so it's going to be geared for restaurants, food trucks, businesses, etc. and not for the home cook looking for a prime grade brisket.

I've also gotten to know the store manager as well as the meat manager. When I ask them to, they hook me up. They have great customer service, IMO.

toymaster
07-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I think the Restaurant Depots in Long Island are better than average but there are a few problems just like every other store. The quality of the ribs has gone down (probably more to do with Smithfield getting bought by China). Not every store has a seafood dept. No problem with CAB or choice beef. Some Prime but not much. They even have Halal chicken. Overall I think that it's a good store but I have yet to find any 1 store I can do all of my food shopping (not even Whole Foods :shock:)

mchar69
07-25-2014, 05:16 PM
The membership is free,

Since When?

RevZiLLa
07-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Great points guys! There are some things I will check out next time I go.

RevZiLLa
07-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Sigh...thank you for not spearing me too bad.

I can go to Walmart for Select, but I can get even lower quality if I drive out to RD. Thankfully, they have Angus at RD.

I don't think I am accomplished enough to make gold out of grades under Select... I guess I should believe in myself more. Self esteem issues or something like that.

pjtexas1
07-25-2014, 08:58 PM
I've also gotten to know the store manager as well as the meat manager. When I ask them to, they hook me up. They have great customer service, IMO.

That's the key to any place you buy meat. Get to know the employees and they will treat you right. I have 2 grocery stores where they know me. They let me go thru the meat in the back every time. Don't have a RD but our Sam's is expensive on brisket and the best they have is cab. I get prime way cheaper at grocery stores.