PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling my Klose for a Shirley

blues_drummer
07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Am I crazy? Thinking of selling my Klose Cooks & Chefs 20x36 in order to get a Shirley Fabrication 24x60 Trailer. I don't use the grill part of the Klose that often, so don't mind loosing it.
Any thoughts?

IamMadMan
07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Follow your needs, not your wants....

Good luck with your venture.

gtr
07-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Looks like you're going bigger - nothing wrong with that! I haven't seen a Shirley in person, but people sure do seem to love 'em. The only thing I'd probably do different is maybe try to keep the one and still buy the other - but I'm piggy like that.

ButtBurner
07-24-2014, 06:25 PM
all I can say is take a close look at the cabinet model from Paul. Thats what I have and there is plenty of room.

It cooks fantastic, I had it loaded up 10 with butts on both shelves last weekend and all were done at the same time, no rotating necessary.

And it used less wood than we thought it would.

bigdexxx
07-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Looks like you're going bigger - nothing wrong with that! I haven't seen a Shirley in person, but people sure do seem to love 'em. The only thing I'd probably do different is maybe try to keep the one and still buy the other - but I'm piggy like that.

I'm with gtr, keep the 20 x 36 for cooking at home and use the trailer for other events or when you need to cook a lot of food. :thumb:

I had TuscaloosaQ build me a 24 x 60 Cabinet model on a patio cart (at the top of his Facebook page) . I have not used it or picked it up, but if you don't NEED/WANT a trailer setup the patio cart would be perfect. When I need to take it with me and feed my guys I will throw it on a utility trailer.

2001Heel
07-24-2014, 06:54 PM
It will be the best decision you've made. I have a 30x80 trailer model and I love it. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

palmtreefrb
07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Good choice, love mine :thumb:

Jason TQ
07-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Am I crazy? Thinking of selling my Klose Cooks & Chefs 20x36 in order to get a Shirley Fabrication 24x60 Trailer. I don't use the grill part of the Klose that often, so don't mind loosing it.
Any thoughts?

Crazy like a fox :clap2:! I'm in the boat that if you could have both that would be perfect. I love my 24x60 trailer Shirley pit. Having been around many other brands of offset smokers and seeing the quality of many different pit makes they are second to none. Give Paul a call.

blues_drummer
07-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks. I still have my Bar-B-Chef offsets that i've spent years tuning that work great for small jobs at home - don't have room to keep both the Klose and the Shirley.

Time to get her dressed up, photos, and advertised on CraigsList. I'm thinking $1700 is a good starting price?

Team DD
07-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Just looked at SF's website. I like the look of the 30x88 Cabinet Trailer smoker. What size hog could you put on that thing, 200 lb?

ButtBurner
07-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Just looked at SF's website. I like the look of the 30x88 Cabinet Trailer smoker. What size hog could you put on that thing, 200 lb?

Im not sure on that

but just wanted to let you know that the website is not the best, he has many other models and most are built to order, you can see them on his facebook page. He is working on have the website updated but he is so busy thats low on the list

best thing is is to call him or PM him here (tuscaloosaQ)

Novass
07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm in line for a 30x80 like 2001heels. Mid October finish date. It's going to be a lot of extra miles on the road, but I know it's going to be worth it.

Lockon
07-25-2014, 01:30 PM
wow... I have not been to the SF website or FB page in quite awhile. They have been busy and have a lot of new designs :) What's the purpose of the square or rectangle main cooking chamber?

ButtBurner
07-25-2014, 01:32 PM
wow... I have not been to the SF website or FB page in quite awhile. They have been busy and have a lot of new designs :) What's the purpose of the square or rectangle main cooking chamber?

you mean like what I have?

the reason is extra space for 2 full size shelves. More headroom too

TuscaloosaQ
07-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Thx for all the kind words and comments.... The cabinet model (doors). Have more room for the same size cooker as traditional doors.. The pipe is cut out elevated and you have more room... More room between grates..... A flat top to set stuff on ... Extremely good air flow.... And the doors are easy to open.... Maw Maw can open them.... It is my favorite...

For the gentleman that asked about the hog size ... Just sold one to a guy that raises Berkshire... Yorkshire.... And ossabaw hogs.... He bought it to let his high end chefs use it and they were amazed at how it cooks... It will hold huge hunks of meat..... Definetly a 200 ponder... The good part of that deal was he brought me tons of meat.... It is unbelievably good.. Never had anything like... And now i have a hook up.........

Uncle JJ
07-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Go for the Shirley - I love mine completely.

Fat Cap
07-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm in line for a 30x80 in mid September. Can't wait!

jbounds286
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
im also in line....24x60 cabinet trailer model...they seem to be blowing up with business...im certain it is for GOOD reasons

toys4dlr
07-25-2014, 04:31 PM
I ordered the Cabinet model because my wife likes to use it and she is a little vertically challenged. So the swing open doors allows her to use it.

jbounds286
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I ordered the Cabinet model because my wife likes to use it and she is a little vertically challenged. So the swing open doors allows her to use it.

yup..cabinet doors were a no brainer for us...all of us can open and close it with ease...i cant imagine a 10 year old being able to lift the big door alone lol

bawb
07-26-2014, 04:57 PM
blues drummer; do alot of looking around and get what will fit your budget and fill your need's and likes. i think your moving in the right direction. good luck

silverfinger
07-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Any thoughts?

If you do decide to do that, and I agree, them Shirley smokers are incredible, let me have a shot at buying your Klose. I'm in torrance.

ButtBurner
07-27-2014, 07:41 AM
One thing I would like mention on my cabinet trailer model.

I dont have a lot of room where the pit lives at my house, so Paul worked with me to make the smallest footprint possible.

He narrowed the trailer axle and also put on a removable tongue. Also had room to put a wood basket on the back side which looks kind of small but held plenty of wood for the overnight cook I did on it.

And it moves around real easy on the concrete patio with those big trailer tires

just something to think about if you are on the fence about a trailer unit like I was.

I was going to get the patio model and use a utility trailer to take it to cooks but I am sure glad I did not