PDA

View Full Version : Single Barrel Bourbon?

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Would anyone be interested in going in on a barrel of Willett bourbon? A barrel will be about 200 bottles, and, I'm guessing, maybe $50/bottle.

deguerre
07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Only ten thousand for the barrel? :shock:

Scottydont81
07-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Buying a barrel rarely gets you a better deal on booze. The cool thing is you or a group gets to pick what you feel is the best. I have a had WL Weller Special reserve as a single barrel when a local liquor store picked there own. It can be a fun process. I know Woodford gives you 4 different barrels to choose 2 from that will become your blend.

nucornhusker
07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Sam's club was selling barrels of Jack for $9000 last Christmas, so $10000 may be right.

deguerre
07-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Oh, not saying the price isn't reasonable, it's just the up front cost. Glad I quit drinking as I'd probably be very tempted and I couldn't really afford it.

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
That's why I'm trying to line up a bunch of people before getting a barrel. It will have a special label on the bottles, and be single barrel. The cost is about the same as buying at a regular store, but you know it's been hand selected. I've got about 100 bottles likely spoken for so far (12 for me).

Demosthenes9
07-24-2014, 07:05 PM
That's why I'm trying to line up a bunch of people before getting a barrel. It will have a special label on the bottles, and be single barrel. The cost is about the same as buying at a regular store, but you know it's been hand selected. I've got about 100 bottles likely spoken for so far (12 for me).

kind of confused as to why you don't just buy however many bottles you want of Willett Pot Still Reserve. Pretty sure it's hand selected and single barrel. Then print up whatever labels you want :bow::bow:

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 07:17 PM
It's not hand selected by me, though. You don't have to get it, though.

Demosthenes9
07-24-2014, 07:37 PM

:thumb::thumb:

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Speaking of bourbon, are there any decent bbq joints in Louisville? I may be down there taxiing some people to a movie while I do a bourbon tour at Beam.

tpope
07-24-2014, 08:16 PM
That price is pretty correct. It depends on the taxes that need to be paid through the local business that must receive it. Then you have the problem of getting it to all the folks that are a part of the group buy. \USPS won't ship it. UPS and Fedex are a PITA to look up the rules.

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 08:36 PM
The shipping isn't that tough. Some of the distilleries work with customers to help out.

Will work for bbq
07-24-2014, 09:42 PM
I'd be down for a few bottles, is there a minimum buy in?

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 09:46 PM
No minimum!

pmad
07-24-2014, 11:07 PM

Yes, but wouldn't all of the other buyers be getting one hand selected by you, not them?
How is that any different than buying from the store?

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Yes, they would be getting one hand selected by me. And if they're not interested, that's fine, too.

cmcadams
07-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Single barrel whiskeys are going to be a bit different from one another. When you buy one at a store, you have no clue if it's the worst or the best of the bunch (not that any would be bad). This way, you'll know it's the best of a selection of barrels. And, if you know me, it will have the name of a friend on the label.

Will work for bbq
07-24-2014, 11:29 PM
I'll commit to 4 bottles for now. :thumb:

cmcadams
07-25-2014, 05:12 AM
I'll commit to 4 bottles for now. :thumb:

Great!

pmad
07-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Single barrel whiskeys are going to be a bit different from one another. When you buy one at a store, you have no clue if it's the worst or the best of the bunch (not that any would be bad). This way, you'll know it's the best of a selection of barrels. And, if you know me, it will have the name of a friend on the label.

1. I have no idea that you know anything about bourbon or that your taste are similar to mine.
2. Wouldn't make more sense to have "BBQ BRETHERN" put on the bottles rather than your name?

I'd be interested in that, but having your name on it is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

As it stands, it seems that you just really want your name on a bottle and want others to help fund the effort.

cmcadams
07-25-2014, 07:23 AM
1. Then you're likely not interested
2. No, as more than half the bottles have nothing to do with the brethren.
3. If that's your opinion, fine. How about not being insulting?

T&S BBQ
07-25-2014, 07:40 AM
I like beer, lets change the subject. So hows the weather where your at, its raining here.

deguerre
07-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Having read some of your reviews on tasting (And comparing to my own experience), I'd be more than very willing to trust your palate.

ModelMaker
07-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Knowing nothing about Single Barrel Bourbon, how does mixing two barrels of it become single barrel?
Ed

cmcadams
07-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Mixing 2 isn't single barrel, that's just how Woodford sells barrels privately, but I don't think it's labeled as single barrel.

ssv3
07-25-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm in for 3

cmcadams
07-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Cool! only about 90 more to go!

woodsider
07-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks. I love the Willett estate rye and Rowan's creek bourbon. Both excellent small batch whiskeys at a reasonable price and the rye is my current favorite sipping whiskey. At $47 per bottle locally for the rye and a bit less for the Rowan's creek, my Willett needs are filled.

cmcadams
07-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Rowan's Creek is good, but the Noah's Mill is even better (but more expensive).

woodsider
07-25-2014, 06:00 PM

Hot dog, a new sippin' whiskey to try out. Thanks :-D

Smoke Dawg
07-25-2014, 06:03 PM
1. Then you're likely not interested
2. No, as more than half the bottles have nothing to do with the brethren.
3. If that's your opinion, fine. How about not being insulting?

I don't think it was insulting, just honest that he would like to have some labeled as Brethern but not interested in bottles with your name.

I got some bottles that I distilled (paid and legal) and that is kind of cool for me but don't mean squat to anyone else.

No offense - I hope you can find takers for the rest so you can make the deal happen
SD

frognot
07-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Curt, I'd like to sign up for a bottle.

Hot dog, a new sippin' whiskey to try out. Thanks :-D

Gotta give a plug for my favorite, Elmer T. Lee.

Demosthenes9
07-25-2014, 11:19 PM

Will have to try it. I'm an Elmer T. Lee fan myself.

On your trip down here to Louisville, you looking for "traditional BBQ" type places ? Or something upscale, gourmet, chic, whatever you want to call it ?

Also, talked to a guy today about personally selecting bourbons and learned something new. Seems that the distiller brought out samples from various barrels that they concluded were ready to bottle and the buyers actually did get to choose what they wanted.

I might have to rethink this. :thumb: