PDA

View Full Version : Best Permanently Attached Thermometer

voidecho
07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm starting the process of acquiring my first real custom smoker and when I spoke with the shop, they admitted the thermometers they use on their smokers aren't the best and that they hope to upgrade at some point.

If I end up getting a new smoker from them, I'd probably prefer to just buy a couple of the best thermometers (accurate and able to recalibrate) and have them install the ones I buy rather than pay to have sub-par ones put in, only to be instantly removed.

My question is, what are some of the best brands of smoker mounted thermometers. Something like these River Country ones.

http://www.rivercountry101.com/servlet/the-262/barbecue-barbeque-grill-smoker/Detail

I tried doing a search for similar threads, but there are too many thermometer threads, most of which aren't related to the type above.

ButtBurner
07-24-2014, 04:11 PM
you already found one of the best

its what I have used

Wickedcajun
07-24-2014, 04:15 PM
That's a good price...

jbounds286
07-24-2014, 04:17 PM
i have that one...it seems to work great

voidecho
07-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys!

caliking
07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Tel-Tru is a good thermo maker, but more expensive.

toymaster
07-24-2014, 04:28 PM
I have Tru-tel thermometers in 2 of my smokers and they are pretty accurate. One came with my Backwoods smoker.

ssv3
07-24-2014, 05:02 PM
River Country is awesome. I have two, one on my barrel cooker and the other on the gasser and they are very accurate.

If you want to spend the bucks then, like it was mentioned, Tel Tru which are made in the USA. My builder is using Tel Tru exclusively and my soon to be built pit will have the Tel Tru's. It'll be interesting to see the difference between RC and TT thermos which I doubt will be much if at all.

BTW Are you going with KAT??

bigdexxx
07-24-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm starting the process of acquiring my first real custom smoker and when I spoke with the shop, they admitted the thermometers they use on their smokers aren't the best and that they hope to upgrade at some point.

If I end up getting a new smoker from them, I'd probably prefer to just buy a couple of the best thermometers (accurate and able to recalibrate) and have them install the ones I buy rather than pay to have sub-par ones put in, only to be instantly removed.

My question is, what are some of the best brands of smoker mounted thermometers. Something like these River Country ones.

http://www.rivercountry101.com/servlet/the-262/barbecue-barbeque-grill-smoker/Detail

I tried doing a search for similar threads, but there are too many thermometer threads, most of which aren't related to the type above.

You can buy the River Country or you can buy Tel-Tru, it's really up to you.

Your smoker is going to be with you for a long time, unless you decide to sell it. So I would get whatever makes you happy, regardless of what anyone on this site says, to include me.

Richard_
07-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm happy with RC , I've got 4 , 1 on each UDS and 2 on the COS

bvbull200
07-24-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm using the one linked in the first post and am very pleased. I'd certainly recommend it.

voidecho
07-24-2014, 11:09 PM
BTW Are you going with KAT??

If I was buying one tomorrow, yes I'd be getting a KAT.

There's a few things the wife has put on my "honey do" list before I'm allowed to buy it and I have to save up a little dough.

If nothing changes my mind, I'm planning to go with one of the KATs, just not sure which one.

voidecho
07-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll do some research on the two brands people have mentioned above.

ssv3
07-24-2014, 11:44 PM
If I was buying one tomorrow, yes I'd be getting a KAT.

There's a few things the wife has put on my "honey do" list before I'm allowed to buy it and I have to save up a little dough.

If nothing changes my mind, I'm planning to go with one of the KATs, just not sure which one.

I hear ya. The honey do list. I checked them out at one point but I went with another builder. Looks like your still looking around and now is a good time to check out other builders as well IMO. I did a lot of reasearch and thinking on what I wanted before I made up my mind.

If you like reverse flow Id say check out Shirley Fabrication. He makes some nice smokers for a very reasonable price. He's a member on here and alot of the guys here are really happy with his smokers.

I myself didnt want a RF smoker so I went with Lone Star Grillz in TX. Check him out too he makes some super nice smokers again with reasonable prices and plenty of happy customers. Shipping isnt bad at all from TX to CA.

Good Luck!

grillinguy247
07-25-2014, 12:01 AM
I have the exact one on my mini and I would recommend it. I don't have any other brand so I wouldn't know about those but I like my rivet country though.

voidecho
07-25-2014, 12:31 AM
That 24x30 looks very nice and as for Shirley, just saw the thread the other day where a guy fired up his Shirley for the first time and dang, that smoker was a thing of beauty.

I'll certainly do more research, but I have to believe shipping could be a deal breaker. You said it wasn't too bad to Southern California? Although, buying out of state I could potentially avoid Sales Tax, which would help pay for shipping.

Hmmmm....