PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Party menu - feedback needed!

Jaskew82
07-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Brethren,
I am throwing a first birthday party for my daughter this saturday and I need some feedback on the menu. I am a little nervous over the food amount. Below is the menu with uncooked/untrimmed weights for the meats. Let me know if you think this is enough.

Headcount is currently 27 adults, 10 children and 4 babies. The group in general is probably average with regards to how heavy they eat. Not a lot of "Big-uns" in the group but a few.

Main foods
2 pork picnics for PP. Uncooked 20lbs.
1 brisket - uncooked 16lbs
3 racks of ribs.
1 package of chicken thighs (~10 thighs)
15 ears of Corn on the cobb
5lbs potato salad
5lbs macaroni salad
Half tray of baked beans
around 50 rolls
(plus off the menu will be 16 hot dogs and 15 .33lbs burgers - I don't want to cook these but will if needed).

Do you all think this is enough? Below is the rest of the menu.

Apps:
1 stick of pepperoni
A tray of Mozzeralla/tomato
1 tray of mac and cheese cups
Brushetta
Doritos, pretzels, tortilla chips in bowls
Salsa
1 crock pot of Moink balls

Drinks:
48 cans of mixed sodas
Pony keg of Yeungling
50+ bottles of water
Two one gallon jugs of iced tea
Fully stocked bar (my bar is pretty serious,lol)

Desserts:
72 cupcakes (24 spiced w/ cream cheese frosting; 24 funfetti w/ creamy choc frosting; 24 choc w/ PB frosting).
One large edible arrangement fruit basket per table

So what do you think? Could really use the guidance on the meats.

RandyBier
07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
I think you have it down perfect for the food. You have enough, if you run out it will be a testament to how great the food was and no one will walk away hungry. As for the beverages you are on your own with knowing your crowd. I would put out a sharpie for the drink cups and ask everyone to put their name on their cup. Saves on guessing if it is theirs and just taking a new one.

Shagdog
07-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I will usually estimate about 1 lb worth of uncooked meat for every adult, 1/2 lb per kid.. Which says you need 32lbs of uncooked meat. I see 36 just in PP and Brisket. I'm going to say that you're plenty safe and will not be needing the hamburgers..

peeps
07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Holy moly that is a lot of food for a kid's birthday party considering the appetizers and sides, IMO.

You will be fine without the burgers and dogs, but keep the dogs handy in case you have some picky kids.

thunter
07-24-2014, 01:43 PM
(plus off the menu will be 16 hot dogs and 15 .33lbs burgers - I don't want to cook these but will if needed).

Everything sounds great. I was looking for the hot dogs and burgers, and saw you that you had them listed as footnote almost! :-D

All I have to say is... you know they're gonna ask where the burgers and dogs are, so just go ahead and plan to cook'em! :laugh: :thumb:

thunter
07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Holy moly that is a lot of food for a kid's birthday party considering the appetizers and sides, IMO.

You will be fine without the burgers and dogs, but keep the dogs handy in case you have some picky kids.

Dude, you know those kids are gonna be picky! Lol! Cook them dogs! :laugh:

peeps
07-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Dude, you know those kids are gonna be picky! Lol! Cook them dogs! :laugh:Depends on the ages...at the last North Texas Bash, erbeman's daughter claimed an entire rack of ribs as hers and wanted to know what everyone else was eating :wink:

thunter
07-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Depends on the ages...at the last North Texas Bash, erbeman's daughter claimed an entire rack of ribs as hers and wanted to know what everyone else was eating :wink:

Y'all raise your kids the right way down there in TX, I call that good behavior! :-D

ajmcedar
07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the invite:wink:

Menu looks great, plenty of food, you know your guests will want doggie bags.
Have fun and good luck. Happy birthday to your daughter.

slammmed
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
you will have a ton of extra food. Parents don't really eat at kids birthday parties unless it's an all day at a park or the kids are completely controlled kind of thing. That being said, keep the food amount and you'll have some amazing leftovers through the week and in the freezer without having to fireup the whole pit :)

dano
07-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Looks like a good health list. Should have leftovers for sure.

Jaskew82
07-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I looked at the meat in the fridge and it just didn't seem like enough but my math told me it was plenty. I guess I should be alright.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

:clap2:

Toni1948
07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Without knowing the ages of the children, you might want to pick up some Capri Sun,10 per pkg, or Juicy Juice which I think is 8 per pkg. I have 4 grandkids under 10, and I would rather have them drinking juice type drinks versus carbonated beverages or tea with caffeine.

You have plenty of food.

HarrynVegas
07-24-2014, 03:06 PM
The only question that I had was the corn on the cob. Unless you are cutting them in half to serve, you might be light there. Kids and adults love corn.

Cast Iron Chef
07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
I did 2 pork butts and 3 racks for a party of 30 adults no kids. Ribs were gone but plenty of PP left. Does not include Brisket and dogs. You'll have plenty

Toni1948
07-24-2014, 03:22 PM
The only question that I had was the corn on the cob. Unless you are cutting them in half to serve, you might be light there. Kids and adults love corn.

Harry, I agree with you on the corn. Even toddlers love to grab an ear of corn. It's a fun thing to eat for them.

DaveAlvarado
07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Depends on the ages...at the last North Texas Bash, erbeman's daughter claimed an entire rack of ribs as hers and wanted to know what everyone else was eating :wink:

I have a friend with kids younger than her, and they all try to do the same thing.

Same ribs even. I must be doing something right. :mrgreen:

Edit: LOL, the ribs in question are my avatar.

peeps
07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I have a friend with kids younger than her, and they all try to do the same thing.

Same ribs even. I must be doing something right. :mrgreen:

Edit: LOL, the ribs in question are my avatar.Here they are in all their glory...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk287/philpeeps/Food%20-%20Cooking%20Stuff/396D098B-CBDA-4A0C-BE28-090B5341E558.jpg

Jaskew82
07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the corn. The plan was to cut it in half so there will be 30 halves.

1buckie
07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Looks just fine....

If you start to get edgey, do 2 pans of beans & stick 'em in front of the meat for service....I started doing that & never come home with beans, but a little meat on crowds about like this..........