PDA

View Full Version : Famous Dave's for Lunch!

thunter
07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
My customer wanted to thank the team for a job well done, so he had some Famous Dave's catered in! Farkin' Yay! I love FD's. :clap2::thumb:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/tonyhunterajh/BBQ%20Pork/27686C7C-F7B2-406F-90AC-091CEBA4DED5_zps4zcu2a3x.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/tonyhunterajh/media/BBQ%20Pork/27686C7C-F7B2-406F-90AC-091CEBA4DED5_zps4zcu2a3x.jpg.html)

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y537/tonyhunterajh/BBQ%20Pork/9A09D54D-7C20-4A40-A5AC-D98C2C9EE84F_zpshqsr2off.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/tonyhunterajh/media/BBQ%20Pork/9A09D54D-7C20-4A40-A5AC-D98C2C9EE84F_zpshqsr2off.jpg.html)

T&S BBQ
07-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Wow that's a nice thank you.

grantw
07-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Cant complain about that. Looks good

hogs122
07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Anyone ever tried FD's spicy pickles? You can buy them at Walmart and other grocery stores. So addicting

thunter
07-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Anyone ever tried FD's spicy pickles? You can buy them at Walmart and other grocery stores. So addicting

Never tried the pickles, but I buy FD's dry rub from kroger all the time. Very good for home, family, friend types of cooks.

NickTheGreat
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
I like FD's way more than I would think. Pretty decent food, most the times.

I don't like their pickles. But then again, I don't like sweet pickles.

TheCougarGuy
07-24-2014, 01:23 PM
I like FD's way more than I would think. Pretty decent food, most the times.

I agree. The thing that I don't like is that there is no smoke smell when you pull up and walk into the building. How can a BBQ restaurant have no wood smoke smell?

Do they use propane instead of wood?

thunter
07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
I agree. The thing that I don't like is that there is no smoke smell when you pull up and walk into the building. How can a BBQ restaurant have no wood smoke smell?

Do they use propane instead of wood?

I think they use FECs, but I'm not real sure.

Demosthenes9
07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I think they use FECs, but I'm not real sure.

I believe they use Southern Pride. At least that's what Famous Dave says.

Famous Dave loves Southern Pride Smokers! - YouTube

One day I was smoking some ribs and the smell got to me so much that I didn't feel like waiting. I set my smoker on autopilot, called a couple of friends and we went up to Famous Dave's. Happened to talk to a manager and mentioned that I had ribs smoking at home, he asked if I wanted to see their setup in back. Oh heck yeah! I always like to take a look at smokers. The setup was pretty neat. The smoker was built right into an exterior wall. Doors to the smoker opened inside the kitchen to reveal the rotisserie. Walk outside through a door to the right of the smoker and you see it's back side. There's a chamber where they throw the wood in and it gets lit by a gas burner.

sliding_billy
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Been about 4 years since I have been to a FD's. I recall it being pretty darn edible. :thumb:

muidaq
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I just had my first opportunity to try their food last night. Mighty tasty brisket.

speedrcer1
07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
I have never had anything close to poor at a FD's.
But the best part is Dave himself. He is a great mentor and all around Human Being.
A few years ago I was doing my first grilling comp at Harpoon. (A prestigious KCBS and NEBS contest in Vermont)
I was at a loss for a shrimp recipe. So I reached out to Dave on Facebook. (He's a big shot. He'll never reply)
He got back to me with a great recipe. And he said, "Make it once, then make it yours".
So I made it verbatim at home once. Decided what to tweak. And a week later, our name was called last. First place.
I gave Dave all the credit, and still do.

Wickedcajun
07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Never tried them...but it looks tasty

bkshriner
07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
I have never had anything close to poor at a FD's.
But the best part is Dave himself. He is a great mentor and all around Human Being.
A few years ago I was doing my first grilling comp at Harpoon. (A prestigious KCBS and NEBS contest in Vermont)
I was at a loss for a shrimp recipe. So I reached out to Dave on Facebook. (He's a big shot. He'll never reply)
He got back to me with a great recipe. And he said, "Make it once, then make it yours".
So I made it verbatim at home once. Decided what to tweak. And a week later, our name was called last. First place.
I gave Dave all the credit, and still do.

You still have the recipe?

speedrcer1
07-24-2014, 05:14 PM
You still have the recipe?

You don't loose a recipe like that!

rickr96
07-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I enjoy the food at Famous Dave's. They seems to handle large groups well and have something for everyone on the menu. Food is consistently good and complemented with the many sauces available at the table.

I've mentioned FD to other "smokers" and got the impression I was crazy to complement a "Chain" BBQ restaurant.

Glad to see others here are fans too.

nucornhusker
07-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Our local FD's isn't too bad. You smell a really strong smell of hickory outside and inside the restaurant. Our FD buys their wood from the same guy I do, so I know it's great wood. I don't know if it's used to cook or just burned to make it smell good, but it smells GOOD when you walk up to, and into the restaurant.

thunter
07-24-2014, 07:08 PM
My first visit to FD's was while I was at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH with the family about 5 years ago. We go to Cedar Point alot, but had never visited them. One night, we were really hungry and everything was closed except FD's. We walked in and smelled the smoke. The food was absolutely wonderful, and I have not had a bad FD's experience ever.

deguerre
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, cool, Tony. I wonder why there isn't one in Memphis. There are five in middle and East Tennessee, but not West. Little Rock is the closest to me.

SlowSmoked
07-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Really surprised to hear that brethren like Famous Dave's. I ate there once about 4 years ago when I moved to CO from TX. Thought it was some of the worst bbq I've ever tried.

deguerre
07-24-2014, 07:56 PM
I've read several threads on them over time and it seems that it really depends on the particular location. Some are bad, some so so and a few apparently are actually pretty good. Also, there have been good comments about their sides.

deguerre
07-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Plus, I bet they're better than that abomination known as Corky's that we have in Memphis.

HardyBagel
07-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised as well to hear all of this love for FD's. I must have a not-so-good one locally. The ribs are mediocre, but the brisket is okay sometimes... the times it isn't good it's like you just swallowed a shot of liquid smoke straight from the bottle. For whatever reason my girlfriend enjoys eating there so we do stop in from time to time. I usually order a burger :D

The cornbread muffins are excellent though lol

Smokesignalsfromtx
07-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Stayed in Amarillo the last two nights. There was a FD right next door! Thought about going in but didn't smell ANYTHING! Chose Hooters instead. :wink:

rookiedad
07-25-2014, 12:35 AM
The cornbread muffins are excellent though lol

:grin: :clap:

Collector-X
07-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Never had a bad meal at FD's. Love the Manhandler with pulled pork, topped with hotlink sausage and pickles. hmmmm

Brian in Maine
07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
I had some burnt ends there a couple of weeks ago that were delicious.

stephan
07-25-2014, 07:14 AM
There is a FD by me that we used to go to. When they first opened up they were very good and over the years they seemed to have gone down hill. The last time I went was at the request of some friends that were in town. The ribs were overdone and dried out, My wife had the brisket and it was underdone and very bland. However my friends seemed to like it. I still used their rubs and sauces, I do like the taste but thats about it for me.

htrisna
07-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Can you believe back a few years ago before I have my smoker, I was like a pent up virgin, had a gig in Memphis, bought 20 slabs of Corky's, emptied my suitcase and sent my clothes home via USPS just to take these home...

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii530/htrisna/56e9655230a1dabfcf79523658651357.jpg

Now our abomination is called Pappas Barbecue

Plus, I bet they're better than that abomination known as Corky's that we have in Memphis.

Sweat'in Pig
07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Squealers BBQ is my go-to in naptown

thunter
07-25-2014, 09:48 AM

I went to Corky's in Pigeon Forge, TN and it was pretty good... except the brisket was really, really, really, dry. The sides were good, the ribs were good, and the pork was good. It wasn't Brethren-quality Q, but it wasn't a bad eat. So, I think location does matter with these chain joints.

deguerre
07-25-2014, 09:54 AM
I would imagine given that location and the competition it has to have there, that it would be better than Memphis. I mean, Dolly had a reputation to uphold! Truth be told though, I haven't been to a Corky's in Memphis in over 15 years and it's POSSIBLE (Remotely, at least...) they have improved. :becky:

BB-Kuhn
07-25-2014, 11:36 AM
I am always torn.

I've been to small one-off local joints that blow it away, BUT compared to nearly any other "chain" type place, it is King.

I am never in love with it, but unlike most bbq joints, I would NEVER say no to go there for a meal. That's about the best endorsement I can give it.

Brian in Maine
07-25-2014, 11:48 AM
The ribs are finished off on a grill. They may be fine coming out of the smoker, but whoever is on the grill might ruin them.

ICDEDTURKES
07-25-2014, 12:25 PM
I have ate a quite a few of them in different states and have never walked away hungry nor thinking the food was bad..

The pickles are a staple in the fridge wish they were a bit spicier.. The only dig I would have on Dave's I am not in love with any of the sauces, they are serviceable for dinner but I would never buy any to have in the fridge.