PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me about smoke boxes/smoking.

Strat
07-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi there! New member posting for the first time on this forum and excited to eventually master new/better grilling & smoking techniques. :)

I own a Vision Grills Kamado Pro S Series (http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/professional-s-series/) and am wondering where one would put a smoker box like the Weber 7576 ; on the lava stone if there's enough clearance between it and the grill, on the grill itself with the food on the actual box, on the fire on top of the charcoal?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be certainly welcomed and appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance, guys! :thumb:

peeps
07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Forget the box...just throw a few wood chunks in with the the lump charcoal, then sit back and relax and wait for some great food.

Shagdog
07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Its a charcoal grill, right? You don't need a smoker box, just drop a chunk or 2 of your favorite wood right in with the coals.

Dangit! Deguerred by peeps!

thesemicullen
07-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Came to say what those guys said, so I'll just add - Have fun and eat well!

Ron_L
07-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Welcome, Strat!

Good choice on the Vision Kamado!

I will admit that I am a tad confused when you mention lava rock. Where in the Vision to you have lava rock?

Aa far as I know, and I may be wrong, the Vision uses lump charcoal for fuel, and most kamado users just add a a few wood chunks in with the lump. In my large Big Green Egg I use three or four chunks of wood for a typical cook and I mix them in with the lump, keeping one close to where I start the fire. That produces more than enough smoke flavor for me. No need for a smoke box.

But maybe I'm misinterpreting your question.

Strat
07-24-2014, 12:18 PM
It's a 14" lava stone that came with it ; it acts as both a heat deflector and pizza stone.

Do I have to soak the chunks? If so for how long?

Should I wrap them in aluminum foil?

Should I put them around the bowl or on the fire?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

pjtexas1
07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
It's a 14" lava stone that came with it ; it acts as both a heat deflector and pizza stone.

never soak your wood. that makes nasty tasting thick white smoke. mix the chunks in directly with your lump. no need to apologize. hang around for a while. you will think you are a genius compared to some of us.:shock:

Ron_L
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Got it! I guess I've never heard it referred to as a lava stone. In the BGE world we call that a platesetter.

As I mentioned, mix them in with the lump. I place them at different points as I fill the firebox so they burn at different times. I have one on top, near the center so it burns shortly after the fire is started and burning cleanly. No foil, no soaking.

DownHomeQue
07-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Welcome... yea wood chunks in with your charcoal.. close the intake dampers some.. to get you temp to around 300 and get to smokin'!

Strat
07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks, guys!

Quick follow-up question which probably is the dumbest one you'll have read on this forum in a while, but should the top or bottom dampers be the ones that are close to lower the temperature to promote the smoking process?

I'd assume the top in order to keep the smoke in for as long as possible, correct?

Fwismoker
07-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Wood chunks can't burn into flames with out enough oxygen...hence no reason to soak wood.

People that soak wood need a slap upside their heads. :heh:

Yellowhair42
07-24-2014, 05:09 PM
On my Vision Classic I have the bottom open about an inch and the top one barely open.Adjust either to get the temp you want.