PDA

View Full Version : Smoked squash

M Team BBQ
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Has anyone tried this before or have any good recipe ideas for it? I've grilled it many times and love it, but it seems like every other day my in laws are giving us more squash. I'd like to try it but don't really know where to start.

Wampus
07-24-2014, 09:28 AM
No but I'm interested.

We grill it a lot too, both zuchini and yellow squash.
I'm curious if a slower smoke will dehydrate the squash a bit or if you'd end up with the mushy variety.

My challenge with grilling is overdoing it and ending up with squash mush.
I don't know if the smoke technique would help with that or not.

Give er a try and let us know!

Ron_L
07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Has anyone tried this before or have any good recipe ideas for it? I've grilled it many times and love it, but it seems like every other day my in laws are giving us more squash. I'd like to try it but don't really know where to start.

What kind of squash? Summer squash like zucchini or winter squash like Acorn, Butternut, etc.?

I've grilled summer squash quite a bit, but I'm not sure how it would hold up to smoking. It gets squishy pretty fast :-D

For winter squash, we do quite a bit of stuffed acorn or butternut squash and they can cook for quite a while at typical smoker temps so they may do better.

M Team BBQ
07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
I've got a pork shoulder on the smoker right now and saw it all and figured what the heck, I'll go thru the pantry and see what I've got

M Team BBQ
07-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Ron it's summer yellow squash, I've thought about the mush coming out, maybe slice them a bit thicker?

gtr
07-24-2014, 09:47 AM
I like to sweat zucchini with K salt for about an hour and grill it, usually hitting with with Todd's Dirt towards the end, but as for smoking squash of any kind - I've never tried it. I did have a squash side dish, like a casserole, at John Mueller's in Austin and it was farking amazing, but I'm not sure how he cooked it. I think there was a lot of butter and cheese involved. Great stuff!

1buckie
07-24-2014, 09:50 AM
If they're small like reg. grocery store size, just halve them & go cut side up.....the grate cooks the innards & then you're adding some smoke to the upper, cut face.....go a little easy, like gentle smoked white fish or something....

Big ones can take a bit more.......
these are recent.....large zukes, filled w/ rice, not smoked, but I have added smoke before with good results....again not hammered with smoke, just to add some flavor.....foil boat works for these, just open it up for part of the time.....

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/Zukes%20%20%207-15-14/Zukes7-15-14028-1.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/Zukes%20%20%207-15-14/Zukes7-15-14027.jpg

Trying smoke them all the way thru ends up tasting ugly to me.....just too, too much of a good thing.......doesn't quite work like meat.....

Smoke®
07-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Scoop out part of the seeds on a yellow squash, mix one part grated colbey with one part cream cheese, little bit of finely diced jalapeño pepper and fill the squash. Sprinkle with a good rub, cover with thin sliced plum tomatoes and top with a medium cooked slice of bacon. 1½ hours on a 225° smoker (I like pecan wood) and they finish nice and firm with a thin crust on the cheese. They taste very good!

http://rondv0021.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v155/p465384410.jpg

RandyBier
07-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Yellow and green squash are great in the smoker. I simply cut it half length ways brush it with a light olive oil and then sear it on a hot grill for the markings. I then put it on indirect and place it cut side up. I then brush it with a wasabi mustard lower the temperature to 300 in the smoker for about 20 minutes.

M Team BBQ
07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to try all of those, great input. Greatly appreciated

gtr
07-24-2014, 02:23 PM
I'll echo the thanks - this one's bookmarked. :thumb:

Smoke®
07-24-2014, 03:30 PM
I did have a squash side dish, like a casserole, at John Mueller's in Austin and it was farking amazing, but I'm not sure how he cooked it. I think there was a lot of butter and cheese involved. Great stuff!

This is a squash casserole that I really enjoy and easy to prepare.

6 cups thin sliced squash
1 small can water chestnuts
Sliced Portabella mushrooms
1 thin sliced sweet onion
1 can roasted garlic mushroom soup
1 small box Velveeta cheese
1 roll of crushed ritz crackers

Dunk the sliced squash into boiling water for 90 seconds and then layer in dish. Cover with the onion, chestnuts, and mushrooms. Put the cheese and soup in a small pot and heat until melted and well combined and then pour over the dish. Cover all with the crackers and cook uncovered at 350° for about 45 minutes or to the topping browns nice with a little bubbling.