PDA

View Full Version : Food Paradise: BBQ 3

VanBo BBQ
07-23-2014, 08:08 PM
I caught the latest episode today and was wondering if anyone knew what exactly the marinade was that Chris Lilly was dunking the chicken in?

IamMadMan
07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Is this it????

Brined Chicken with White Sauce

by pitmaster Chris Lilly

Yield

Serves 8

Suggested Wood

Hickory, pecan, oak

Ingredients

- 1 cup apple juice

- 1 tablespoon salt

- ¼ tablespoon garlic powder

- 1 tablespoon honey

- ½ tablespoon dark brown sugar

- ½ tablespoon soy sauce

- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice

- 8 boneless and skinless chicken breasts

- Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q White Sauce

Directions

1) In a medium bowl combine the brine ingredients with 1 cup of water and mix well.

2) Add the chicken breasts, making sure they are completely covered.

3) Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.

4) Remove the chicken breasts from the brine and wipe off the excess salt.

5) Preheat an outdoor grill to 400 degrees F.

6) Place the chicken breasts on the grate directly over heat and grill for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

7) The internal temperature of the chicken breasts should be 160 degrees F.

8) Submerge each chicken breast into a bowl of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q White Sauce.

9) Remove from the sauce and serve.

VanBo BBQ
07-23-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure. In the episode he is at the pits getting ready to flip the birds and dunks each one in a bucket. He just refers to the bucket as the marinade.

mcyork28
07-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I saw a few mini it's of that and I believe it is their classic white bbq sauce.

Boshizzle
07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Here is the best recipe for the Alabama white sauce that has been posted so far -

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preparation
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Use as a marinade, baste, or dipping sauce. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Big-Bob-Gibsons-Bar-B-Q-White-Sauce-363308

BTW - "White" BBQ sauce was popular in Louisiana many decades before it was served in Alabama. I have some interesting info in the subject I may post one day.

GrillsGoneWild
07-23-2014, 09:56 PM
The white sauce is what he dipped them in at the end of the cook. The "marinade" was some kind of oily concoction that helped keep the bird moist.

IamMadMan
07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
I caught the latest episode today and was wondering if anyone knew what exactly the marinade was that Chris Lilly was dunking the chicken in?

The white sauce is what he dipped them in at the end of the cook. The "marinade" was some kind of oily concoction that helped keep the bird moist.

Is this it????

Brined Chicken with White Sauce

by pitmaster Chris Lilly

Ingredients

- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a medium bowl combine the brine ingredients with 1 cup of water and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, making sure they are completely covered. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the chicken breasts from the brine and wipe off the excess. Preheat an outdoor grill to 400 degrees F.
Place the chicken breasts on the grate directly over heat and grill for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. The internal temperature of the chicken breasts should be 160 degrees F.

Chris Lilly is noted for his brines to keep meats moist and tender like the one listed above.

Are you sure it was a marinade?; because it's large molecules a marinade will not penetrate the meat more than 1/4 of an inch so commonly it is used only for flavor. A brine, which because of the smaller size of the molecules will penetrate and will help to keep the meat moist and tender?