PDA

View Full Version : Central BBQ leaves silver shin on ribs, Do you?

Pappy
07-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Just watched BBQ Paradise on the Travel channel. Central BBQ leaves the silver shin on his ribs to lock in the fat moisture. Then he removes the cooked skin after it is cooked.

Does anyone else do it this way?

Blythewood BBQ'er
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I pull it off, but there are several here that leave it on. I haven't cooked ribs in a bit, but I am going to do a side by side comparison next.

Wampus
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Not I. I skin em every time.

We've left it on for vending sometimes if we're cooking hot & fast and we're in the weeds, we just score em perpendicular to the bones. We don't skin em afterward though.

Smokin'Butts
07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Take em off every time...can't remember the last time I cooked any and left it on.

pjtexas1
07-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Off if indirect heat on if direct heat.

smoke ninja
07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I leave em but score heavily.

ace27705
07-23-2014, 09:29 PM
it an excuse to be lazy is all it is.one less thing they have to do. I have eaten their many times....it is served with the membrane still on. corky's does the same thing.

Boshizzle
07-23-2014, 09:32 PM
If I had to cook 50 slabs a day, I may be tempted to leave it on and come up with a good reason for why I do so besides the fact that it is expensive to pay labor to spend the time and effort to remove the skin.

But, I don't cook 25 to 50 slabs a day. Just a coupe of slabs occasionally. So, I remove it and enjoy delicious ribs without a piece of leather in my mouth when I eat them.

Pappy
07-23-2014, 09:57 PM
The owner takes the skin off before it is served. It pealed off all in one piece. Another scene he was scraping the back of the ribs with a knife trying to get it off.

Fwismoker
07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Pj and ninja are right. I cook direct and i score up, down and sideways...and diagonal. Olive oil, then rub and cook. Never been any sign of the membrane plus the ribs are past moist and i cook nekkid.

jbounds286
07-23-2014, 10:26 PM
that place is not any good anyway...

ive tried membrane on and off...i def prefer it off

martyleach
07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
If you want your rubs flavor to penetrate the meat, take it off and foil the ribs when the color is to your liking. If you don't foil your ribs and need to keep them moister then I can understand why some people keep the membrane on. Still, flavor does not penetrate the membrane....

Beerbecue
07-23-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm with Bo. I only cook ribs 2 or 3 times a month and I think it's worth the 2 extra minutes of work each time to skin my racks.

Bamabuzzard
07-23-2014, 11:28 PM
I now keep mine on. I pulled the membrane off for years thinking I was getting a lot of extra flavor and smoke. I can't remember the reason but I didn't pull the membrane on several cooks and my ribs tasted the exact same. I couldn't tell any difference in depth of smoke flavor or rub. So from then on out I've kept it on. But I also don't run a restaurant and serve the public. If the public wants it off then I suggest pull it off.

RevZiLLa
07-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Leaving it on for the cook kills all the raw stuff on the membrane and then it is safe to use it as floss while you eat

captndan
07-24-2014, 05:23 AM
I ask a lot of cooks at a comp about this. It was 50/50.

thesemicullen
07-24-2014, 05:45 AM
I don't think very much of Central's ribs, but I've done both and like many here, since I don't cook ribs all that often, I go ahead and take the extra couple of minutes to pull it off.

IamMadMan
07-24-2014, 06:06 AM
I always remove the skin.

I have been tempted to try leaving it on because a friend of mine who competes at the national level leaves the skin on. The team claims the skin disintegrates with no trace. Ordinarily I would be skeptical of such a claim, but they have won over 600 awards at sanctioned events for their ribs including; Best in the West, Hudson Valley Ribfest (6 years in a row), and has won the NJ State BBQ Championship multiple times.

smoken Jokers
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
I leave it on then when done crank up the egg to 450° and chargrill the skin gives another flavor profile. (Famas Dave's Method)

Kyle Serlington
07-24-2014, 07:05 PM
i used to take it off but i always hated doing it because it was annoying, so a couple years ago i tried scoring it and i liked the results and i've been doing it that way since. never had any problems getting a good smoke flavor on em

Bludawg
07-24-2014, 07:21 PM
I don't skin my bonz if ya cook 'em sans foil at 275+ it cooks away

dadsr4
07-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Just watched BBQ Paradise on the Travel channel. Central BBQ leaves the silver shin on his ribs to lock in the fat moisture. Then he removes the cooked skin after it is cooked.

Does anyone else do it this way?
I've done it both ways. I find it easier to remove it while the meat is cold. My ribs are quite moist without it.

smokymtnjonny
07-25-2014, 07:45 AM
I've had Central's ribs, and you don't want to copy them. Yuck. I think they use 1 lb of rub per rack.

NickTheGreat
07-25-2014, 07:51 AM
I've done both and it's easier to eat with it off. I've tried the scoring method and it works. But it's really not that hard to remove the membrane

daninnewjersey
07-25-2014, 09:09 AM
I cook and sell about 50 racks of spares a week during the summer. I never remove it. In the 3 years I've been selling only ONE person ever commented on it. Of course, he was a comp guy :mrgreen::mrgreen:

seattlepitboss
07-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I used to routinely pull the membrane from StL ribs. Then I tried them once without it. Haven't ever pulled the membrane since. Just made up 16 racks for a local event. Hoo, boy did those ribs vanish quick! Truly, there isn't a ton of difference. If I were cooking in a competition, sure. But when I have to do a lot? Especially if the guy who cut up the pig was careless and the membrane's all cut up? No way.

seattlepitboss

deguerre
07-26-2014, 10:34 AM
I got the Ribs at Central, once. Emphasis on once. Haven't been in over three or four years, but I preferred their pork when I did go.