PDA

View Full Version : Brisket vs Top Inside Round

EvilSwine
07-23-2014, 04:00 PM
With all this talk about the price of brisket and being that I can get the inside round for much less, can I get any recommendations for doing about a 10lb round on a BGE? Thanks

dadsr4
07-23-2014, 04:09 PM
It's lean, so cook it rare and slice.

Demosthenes9
07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
With all this talk about the price of brisket and being that I can get the inside round for much less, can I get any recommendations for doing about a 10lb round on a BGE? Thanks

Personally, I take inside/top round to about 127 and slice it for some nice rare/midrare roast beef. Can thin slice sandwich style or a bit thicker like you'd get from a carving station at a buffet.

Smoke it lo and slow to get a nice even color. If you want a nice crispy bark, do a reverse sear. Pull it at about 120, crank up the heat in your egg then roll the meat around on the egg but still pull when it hits 127ish.

SkinnyVinny
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
If you're looking for a brisket alternative, a chuck roast is usually pretty close.

THoey1963
07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
If you're looking for a brisket alternative, a chuck roast is usually pretty close.

PSB! (http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html)

RolandJT
07-24-2014, 02:54 AM
My dad is a (retired) actuary and pretty cheap. We did top round in 2-3# pieces on a slow grill cooked pretty rare. This was for a steak substitute but I think it could be smoked as well.

It is too lean to slow smoke to well done, but I'd think you could smoke to rare, med rare or barely med with reasonable results.

In any case I'd recommend a hot finish to get some crust action.

To get in the spirit of the cheaper meat, mass market beer is the appropriate drink:wink:

EvilSwine
07-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Okay, rare-med rare with a PBR. Thanks guys!