PDA

View Full Version : Have an idea re injection for pork butts

medeloach
07-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I've used apple juice in the past with pretty good results. I've searched this forum and found multiple people indicating that apple cider is even better. I've got my big cook tonight and doubt that I'll be able to find apple cider, so I'm thinking of possibly reducing down some juice on the stove, then dissolving sugar and salt and adding worcsteshire and a few dashes of Texas Pete. Has anyone tried reducing down the apple juice to intensify the flavor? Perhaps I should just go with a combination of apple juice and apple cider vinegar?

I'm a little concerned about trying something new before feeding ~40 of my colleagues at work...

SkinnyVinny
07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Haven't tried reducing apple juice, but your idea of dissolving in sugar, salt and worschester is pretty much Chris Lilly's injection recipe. Think it would go well either way!

Lake Dogs
07-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I've used apple juice in the past with pretty good results. I've searched this forum and found multiple people indicating that apple cider is even better. I've got my big cook tonight and doubt that I'll be able to find apple cider, so I'm thinking of possibly reducing down some juice on the stove, then dissolving sugar and salt and adding worcsteshire and a few dashes of Texas Pete. Has anyone tried reducing down the apple juice to intensify the flavor? Perhaps I should just go with a combination of apple juice and apple cider vinegar?

I'm a little concerned about trying something new before feeding ~40 of my colleagues at work...

Nothing you're talking about hasn't been done before. However, to me, the key point in this situation is the feeding ~40 people without having tested the new recipe. Every time I've done this, the results weren't positive. I suggest not this time. Next time, at home, for yourself, give that a try.

Bludawg
07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Why do you want pork that tastes like apples:confused: you got something against pork?? When cooking for others is not the time to play Mad Culinary scientist save the experiments for yourself.

grantw
07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't want it to taste like more like apples myself. Use an injection you have used before or nothing at all. chris lilleys injection works like mentioned above:
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

medeloach
07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for talking me down from the ledge. Probably not a good idea to experiment on a cook where my cooking skills will be under the microscope of my colleagues. :roll:

I think I will go with my normal Chris Lilly's approach, although I think I'm gonna go light on the injection this time. I read one thread where someone finished their cook in a foil pan and then collected the juices, skimmed off the fat, and mixed the juice in with the pulled pork. I do think I'm gonna try that this time. After all, it's just pork, right? :mrgreen:

pjtexas1
07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for talking me down from the ledge. Probably not a good idea to experiment on a cook where my cooking skills will be under the microscope of my colleagues. :roll:

I think I will go with my normal Chris Lilly's approach, although I think I'm gonna go light on the injection this time. I read one thread where someone finished their cook in a foil pan and then collected the juices, skimmed off the fat, and mixed the juice in with the pulled pork. I do think I'm gonna try that this time. After all, it's just pork, right? :mrgreen:

I agree. This would be more at my comfort level than trying something new. Adding the juices back to the pulled is pretty standard.

IamMadMan
07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Peach Nectar and White Grape also work well in the injection mix.

I have grown fond of OakRidge BBQ Game Changer Brine as my injection in both pork and chicken.