PDA

View Full Version : lang 84D with a cyberq stoker system?

JT's Smokehouse
07-23-2014, 12:58 PM
has anyone here tried to use a cyber Q Stoker on a Lang84D? I'm wondering if having optimum and constant temperature control would help to producing even better flavor of meat. I'm really not sure what to think you but I was just imagine to having a properly stoked fire that it would be no chance of getting any bitter taste. I have done about 10 cooks on my Lang so far ive had varried results mostly it's been good.

can anyone here who is attached a stoker system to a Lang lend a bit of info? I am interested to know how to performances is and what size kit to order. Thanks

DownHomeQue
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
if your burning wood.. it would do the opposite.. because the smoldering wood fire would make your food black.. and creosote covered. if your mainly using charcoal for fuel.. it may work... although i dont recommend it.. I dont have a lang.. just speaking for Stick burners in general

JT's Smokehouse
07-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Ok well its good to know, the only reason I even thought of doing this was since a guy who owns a BBQ restaurant told me that his smoker has automatic dampers or a stoker.

The flavor on my cooks is good but I feel like it needs to be better. I just feel like the fire management is the key to getting better tasting que.

ButtBurner
07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
your last statement about fire management is correct

keep at it. its not that hard. you dont need a blower to accomplish this. I would never use one with a stick burner. The blower will not know if you have a open flame or a smoldering pile of wood

JT's Smokehouse
07-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Just did some reading on adding a stoker to stick burners as apposed to a Lang... there's much more info and yes it seems like a no go. I guess I will just try a smaller fire next time. Forget I even asked guys.

ButtBurner
07-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Just did some reading on adding a stoker to stick burners as apposed to a Lang... there's much more info and yes it seems like a no go. I guess I will just try a smaller fire next time. Forget I even asked guys.

Its not just a small hot fire

lets diagnose your fire and find out where you are going wrong

Please describe your process

thanks

JT's Smokehouse
07-24-2014, 05:30 AM
I usually build my fire with about 9 crib stacked splits. I light then and let the fire burn till I get a bed of coals. From there after the pit is up to temp I usually keep the fire going with a split or two. Once I get going and there's nothing but thin blue smoke coming from the stack I throw the meat on. I've been told by everyone who's tried my que that its great, but unfortunately I'm my own worst critic and I have yet to wow myself lol. Im just waiting to get it just right and have that perfect smoke flavor.

ButtBurner
07-24-2014, 05:53 AM
I usually build my fire with about 9 crib stacked splits. I light then and let the fire burn till I get a bed of coals. From there after the pit is up to temp I usually keep the fire going with a split or two. Once I get going and there's nothing but thin blue smoke coming from the stack I throw the meat on. I've been told by everyone who's tried my que that its great, but unfortunately I'm my own worst critic and I have yet to wow myself lol. Im just waiting to get it just right and have that perfect smoke flavor.

sounds right

are you using pre heated splits when you add them? What kind of wood are you using?

64Driver
07-24-2014, 06:16 AM
Since you have the deluxe, I would warm up some splits in there so they ignite as soon as they are put in the fire.

JT's Smokehouse
07-24-2014, 06:18 AM
I do preheat my splits, my pile if hickory is dry so my last cook I used that and cherry. I swear to god my first cook was my best the color of the bark was exactly what I've been searching for.. seems like when I cook now the bark is more brown than a blackish color. Im probably just being way to hard on myself as usual lol.

Diesel Dave
07-24-2014, 06:21 AM
^^^ yeah what's been said.

If you've only done 10 cooks, you're still learning your pit.
Langs like a small hot fire and they do breath really well. So just keep experimenting and see how it'll run for you.
Don't forget, let it run where it wants to. You'll be way happier in the end

EDIT: if that's the color of your bark it could be 2 things.
1) your smoke is getting too thick and you need more air and a cleaner fire
2) wrap it when it's the color you like, stick burners have the tendency to get your bark a bit more dark

Bbq Bubba
07-24-2014, 06:39 AM
WTH is wrong with a little bark? :confused:

I think your UNDER smoking by being so anal about the fire. You absolutely want to burn a clean fire but wrapping takes away from bark formation which equals flavor!

Diesel Dave
07-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Wrapping in Butcher Paper will still form a very nice bark.
Also you can remove the foil, if that's what you choose to use, and give it a bit of time on the smoker and firm it back up

JT's Smokehouse
07-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks bubba! The reason I bought a Lang in the first place was because I Dont intend on wrapping anything I cook. That brisket pic looks like heaven, I want the same color bark on my butts, I only had that color once before and I didn't take notes on that cook. Now I get bark that's still good but not black and more of a brown color.

WTH is wrong with a little bark? :confused:

I think your UNDER smoking by being so anal about the fire. You absolutely want to burn a clean fire but wrapping takes away from bark formation which equals flavor!