PDA

View Full Version : Smoker Pellets source

rick1201
07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Hello, Just wondering where you pellet smoker cooks are getting your pellets from. Online or local supplier? Also would be interested in knowing any brand preference. Thank you.

Rick

headbanger
07-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I usually buy local since I don't smoke enough to justify ordering bulk. The best pellets I've used come from Coockshack, BBQ delight and Smokin' Brothers. I also use good quality 100% oak heating pellets regularly.

Ron_L
07-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I've gone in with other local pelletheads and bought in bulk in the past. You can get them by the pallet and when you split it between a few guys the price is great!

As far as brands, in no particular order...

BBQers Delight
cookinpellets.com
Bear Mountain

I'm forgetting a couple.

I would avoid heating pellets because they don't use food safe oils in the manufacturing process and use glues or fillers to hold the pellets together. Food grade pellets are made with food grade oils on the machines and use the natural lignins in the wood to hold the pellets together.

BBQ_Mayor
07-23-2014, 12:24 PM
BBQ'er Delight pellets are A number 1 in my opinion. I can get them at a local supplier.

nucornhusker
07-23-2014, 12:29 PM
I go in with a bunch of buddies and co-workers and buy Lumberjack BBQ Pellets in bulk. Buying in bulk is the only way to go.

The other brand I would buy in bulk is BBQr's Delight.

Pyle's BBQ
07-23-2014, 12:35 PM
BBQ Pit Boss are the ones I use. I pay $21.99 for 40#.

Sammy_Shuford
07-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Lumberjack BBQ Pellets in bulk!

I bought a full ton and a trailer to carry them, paid less per pound then driving to get them bag at a time.

lantern
07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I recently switched to A-MAZE-N-PELLETS and I doubt I'll be searching anymore. Very very good quality.

EDIT: I will elaborate by saying they have the best smell of any pellet I've used. But, I HAVE to say that although I use pellets on the regular to flavor many types of food I don't consider myself a pellet cooker since my pits do NOT run on pellets. So my experiences may be worthless to you. I've just went through a whole bunch over the years and had to mention my current happiness with A-MAZE-N-PELLETS.

Pyle's BBQ
07-23-2014, 01:28 PM
BBQ'er Delight pellets are A number 1 in my opinion. I can get them at a local supplier.

Where are you getting them and how much are you paying for them?

hedge
07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
I didn't like the Lumberjack brand.

Ron_L
07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
I didn't like the Lumberjack brand.

What didn't you like about them?

hedge
07-23-2014, 01:54 PM
What didn't you like about them?

I thought they produced too much ash. Could be too much filler wood?

nucornhusker
07-23-2014, 01:59 PM
I thought they produced too much ash. Could be too much filler wood?

They keep the bark in the pellets, that's why they have more ash. The bark gives them their stronger smoke flavor. I'd rather vacuum a few extra times and gain the benefit of stronger, but still very clean smoke.

hedge
07-23-2014, 02:52 PM
They keep the bark in the pellets, that's why they have more ash. The bark gives them their stronger smoke flavor. I'd rather vacuum a few extra times and gain the benefit of stronger, but still very clean smoke.

That makes sense.

I sold my pellet smoker this spring and wish i hadn't.

unixadm
07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Lumberjack, Cookinpellets and Cookshack in those order. I'm going to try some Bear Mountain since I heard you can get them at Cash and Carry pretty cheap, which we have here in Sacramento.

Best flavor thus far - Lumberjack 100% Hickory.

MS2SB
07-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Lumberjack, Cookinpellets and Cookshack in those order. I'm going to try some Bear Mountain since I heard you can get them at Cash and Carry pretty cheap, which we have here in Sacramento.

Best flavor thus far - Lumberjack 100% Hickory.

Let me know how you like those. There's a Cash & Carry down the street from my office where I have seen these but have always been wary to try them.

hogzillas
07-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Well I'm not a pellethead anymore but my local Academy started stocking B&B brand pellets that I heard are rebranded BBQrs Delight (not sure if true or not) so you might try local Academy or they do have them online

unixadm
07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Let me know how you like those. There's a Cash & Carry down the street from my office where I have seen these but have always been wary to try them.

Will do. I have not read anything negative about them. I'm looking at buying an Fast Eddy FEC-750 this week and that tank will burn through some pellets, so I was thinking I could always blend to keep costs a bit lower.

BBQ_Mayor
07-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Where are you getting them and how much are you paying for them?

I get them at Hawgeyes. About $17 for a 20lb bag. Pricey but I only use those for competitions, otherwise, I use lumberjack or Louisianna.
I can get either of those for 15 to $20 for a 40lb bag.

Kjonge
07-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I just went through a batch of bear mountain after my BBQ delight that came with the Yoder. I do feel there is a lot of ash floating around in the cooking chamber. I now ordered lumberjack from amazon to try.

I can get the bear mountain for 10 per 20lbs so that's way cheaper than the lumberjack from amazon. After testing I might get some bulk order somewhere ��